Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:47
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Get out while you can Jun 8, 2020

Anne McDowall wrote:

I've been approached by an individual (via this site) to translate a 19,000-word paper from French to English. However, having got just a couple of hours in, I've discovered that the whole text is already available in English – and I'm pretty certain was written in English and subsequently translated into French. I've asked the client to call me urgently but I can't see a good outcome for me in this. Obviously, I've not spent a vast amount of time on this, but if I end up losing the project (and I can't see any alternative), I've lost a lot of potential income. Does anyone have any experience of similar and/or advice on what I could reasonably request that she pay me if the project is called off?

This sounds terrible, especially having read the comments from others. If I were you I'd forget about the the hours I'd wasted, and get out ASAP by telling the client that the whole thing is plagiarised and you will not be continuing.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:47
French to English
And keep a close eye on our bank account Jun 9, 2020

Immediately question your bank about any unexpected funds credited to your account.

Angie Garbarino

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cancellation fee

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »