Interpreting from the middle of nowhere...
Thread poster: Marion Lambert-Nuding
Marion Lambert-Nuding
Marion Lambert-Nuding  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:45
English to French
+ ...
Feb 11, 2019

Hi all,

I qualified last year as a PSI and I've registered with the NRPSI and a few agencies including Capita (see separate post about registering with thebigword), but I'm getting zero interest. My guess is that it has to do with the fact that I live in the New Forest, ie 30 minutes drive from Southampton or Bournemouth and a good couple of hours train from anywhere in London.

Can an interpreter work from the middle of nowhere? What can I do to make my services more ap
... See more
Hi all,

I qualified last year as a PSI and I've registered with the NRPSI and a few agencies including Capita (see separate post about registering with thebigword), but I'm getting zero interest. My guess is that it has to do with the fact that I live in the New Forest, ie 30 minutes drive from Southampton or Bournemouth and a good couple of hours train from anywhere in London.

Can an interpreter work from the middle of nowhere? What can I do to make my services more appealing?

Thanks for your help!
Marion
Collapse

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:45
Czech to French
+ ...
I have Feb 12, 2019

… but I was already a well-established interpreter when I moved here. It involves a lot of driving around, so I stopped when I felt too old for it.
Starting a career is always difficult, wherever you are. And there is huge competition in ENFR. I can do it, too, but I stopped trying to get such jobs - it's much easier in other pairs, clients practically beg me to do their BG>FR or SK>FR:).
You should register with more agencies (at least 10) to increase your chances. Do you know an
... See more
… but I was already a well-established interpreter when I moved here. It involves a lot of driving around, so I stopped when I felt too old for it.
Starting a career is always difficult, wherever you are. And there is huge competition in ENFR. I can do it, too, but I stopped trying to get such jobs - it's much easier in other pairs, clients practically beg me to do their BG>FR or SK>FR:).
You should register with more agencies (at least 10) to increase your chances. Do you know any established interpreters in your pair and in your broader region? They could help you - the client often choses one interpreter and asks them to pick their partner.
Good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting from the middle of nowhere...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »