Israel
Local time: 13:54
Member (2010)
Hebrew to Russian
+ ...
Feb 1, 2016

ערב טוב,
אולי כבר כתבו בנושא אבל לא מצאתי.
אילו אופציות עומדות לרשותנו לקבלת תשלומים מחו''ל?
אפילו בלי לדבר על המרה לשקלים...
העברה לחשבון בנק רגיל או בנק הדואר (שהוא יותר זול משאר הבנקים), PAYPAL
יודעת שיש גם SCRILL, אבל לא יודעת אם זה טוב.
מה עוד?
מה יותר טוב, לפי דעתכם?

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
French to English
+ ...
Those Feb 2, 2016

Hi Nata,

1. PayPal is highway robbery. They charge a fee and you also lose on the exchange rate into shekels.
2. Skrill does not charge a fee. However, the download to the bank account is in euros, so the account denomination should be in euros, otherwise you lose big time.

3. Direct bank transfers are best for larger sums, because you "only" have the bank fees + bank exchange rates, which you must pay anyway. Those, however, involve bank charges at the sender's
... See more
Hi Nata,

1. PayPal is highway robbery. They charge a fee and you also lose on the exchange rate into shekels.
2. Skrill does not charge a fee. However, the download to the bank account is in euros, so the account denomination should be in euros, otherwise you lose big time.

3. Direct bank transfers are best for larger sums, because you "only" have the bank fees + bank exchange rates, which you must pay anyway. Those, however, involve bank charges at the sender's end.

Please note that you don't pay VAT on transactions from HU"L, so these have to be reported separately.

Haven't heard about בנק הדואר. How does it work? Are there sender fees?

HTH,

Sandra
Collapse

Natalya Sogolovsky
Natalya Sogolovsky  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2010)
Hebrew to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Postal bank Feb 2, 2016

Hi Sandra, thanks for the detailed answer!
PayPal IS highway robbery indeed, but some clients don't want to make bank transactions for sums less than 200 Euro... On the other hand, I do not withdraw money from the PayPal account but use them for buying whatever I want to buy abroad - from plane tickets and hotel booking to cosmetics.
But with significant sums that just would not do!

The Postal Bank is the
... See more
Hi Sandra, thanks for the detailed answer!
PayPal IS highway robbery indeed, but some clients don't want to make bank transactions for sums less than 200 Euro... On the other hand, I do not withdraw money from the PayPal account but use them for buying whatever I want to buy abroad - from plane tickets and hotel booking to cosmetics.
But with significant sums that just would not do!

The Postal Bank is the most dumb (sorry about that, but it's the plain truth!) bank in Israel, but it charges only the sender. You open an account and receive the payment directly to the account without paying for it. You can withdraw the money as is (Euro or dollars) and pay 34 NIS for 1000 Euro. You can also transfer the money to another bank of course or withdraw it in NIS (according to the course the post office has). And there is a possibility to make a magnetic card (it's not a credit card, it's for the money you have, no overdraft ) for Euro OR for dollars and go use it in Europe.

I'm awaiting the answer from Skrill to the letter I sent them. You say they do not charge a fee. So I don't have to pay, right? The sender does pay, doesn't he?

Natasha
Collapse

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
French to English
+ ...
Skrill Feb 2, 2016

Hi Natasha,

Skrill charges senders a negligible amount of about 50 euro cents.
Nobody can complain. OTH, they have limits on the amounts that can be paid in each time.

Postal bank, dumb or not, actually sounds interesting.
Thanks for explanations!

Sandra

[Edited at 2016-02-02 12:37 GMT]

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Balancing act Feb 2, 2016

After realizing you are selling a service through them, Skrill might switch you to a merchant account, for which they charge a monthly fee.
I don't have personal experience with them, but colleagues in Israel and Europe are not what I'd call satisfied with them.

PayPal, flawed as it is, is still the easiest way to get paid smaller amounts, mostly because it is pretty much become a de-facto standard payment method (I'm not commenting about whether this is good or bad). However,
... See more
After realizing you are selling a service through them, Skrill might switch you to a merchant account, for which they charge a monthly fee.
I don't have personal experience with them, but colleagues in Israel and Europe are not what I'd call satisfied with them.

PayPal, flawed as it is, is still the easiest way to get paid smaller amounts, mostly because it is pretty much become a de-facto standard payment method (I'm not commenting about whether this is good or bad). However, you mist definitely should work some or all of its fees into your quote. PP charges 4% for receiving the payment and additional 2.5% (reflected in the exchange rate, which is already on the low side) for converting foreign currency to ILS (although you say you don't withdraw it, so if you hold a USD or EUR balance only the 4% part is relevant).
Furthermore, PayPal's fees are tax deductible (financing fees), so you might want to ask your accountant for an advice about how to deal with them for tax purposes.

Then there are the various currency brokers, which are actually a good option, but many of whom don't work with the Israel bank system.
One that does work with the Israel bank system is http://www.translatorpay.com/Home.aspx. There are basically no (or very low) fees for receiving or sending the payment. They make their money through the exchange rates, which are somewhere in-between PayPal's low exchange rate and the Bank's higher exchange rates (but without considering all the other fees the bank usually charges). The client sends the payment in their local currency, you get it in ILS, and usually left with significantly more (especially for larger amounts) compared to PayPal or a traditional bank transfer. And again, ask your accountant for an advice about how do deal with the money you "lose" through the exchange rate (it should be similar to when the exchange rate becomes less favorable between the dates of invoicing and actual payment).

And lastly, it is no secret that the banks are offering different terms to different clients. If you can get a significant amount of money via bank transfer, and depending on several other factors only the bank knows, you might be able to negotiate favorable terms with your bank.

[Edited at 2016-02-03 04:02 GMT]
Collapse

Natalya Sogolovsky
Natalya Sogolovsky  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2010)
Hebrew to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Feb 2, 2016

Sandra and Shai, for a lot of interesting and useful information!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

קבלת תשלום מחו''ל

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »