How to copy/paste Hebrew words into word text?
Thread poster: profoncinha
profoncinha
profoncinha
United States
Local time: 04:04
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 2, 2015

How to copy/paste Hebrew and greek from a PDF file into word text file without losing the format of Hebrew/greek?

Basically, I was given a PDF file to translate which contains tons of Hebrew and Greek terms. These terms are staying the same, all I need to do is transpose them to my new translation file in Word. However, no matter what I do, when I try to copy and paste them, they loose their format and characters are inverted.

Things I tried so far without success:
... See more
How to copy/paste Hebrew and greek from a PDF file into word text file without losing the format of Hebrew/greek?

Basically, I was given a PDF file to translate which contains tons of Hebrew and Greek terms. These terms are staying the same, all I need to do is transpose them to my new translation file in Word. However, no matter what I do, when I try to copy and paste them, they loose their format and characters are inverted.

Things I tried so far without success:

1. copy and "paste special"
2. convert PDF file before copying terms
3.download appropriate fonts from Hebrew and Greek
Collapse

Daniel Rabinovich
Daniel Rabinovich  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 11:04
Member (2018)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
No easy answer Jun 3, 2015

Copying and pasting text from pdf documents may be a problem even when you try to copy text in English. It comes down to the fact that Adobe Reader is not a text editor, and it has its own internal rules concerning the way it handles text.

I can suggest a couple of tricks that may help you, though:

1. Download and install the software CutePDF - this allows you to "install" a virtual printer, which prints to a pdf file rather than to an actual printer - after installatio
... See more
Copying and pasting text from pdf documents may be a problem even when you try to copy text in English. It comes down to the fact that Adobe Reader is not a text editor, and it has its own internal rules concerning the way it handles text.

I can suggest a couple of tricks that may help you, though:

1. Download and install the software CutePDF - this allows you to "install" a virtual printer, which prints to a pdf file rather than to an actual printer - after installation just select "cutepdf" in the printer list in Adobe Reader. So, your'e actually creating a new pdf document from your original pdf document, but this new document usually has better properties with regards to its handling of text. CutePDF is free.

BTW, do not uninstall CutePDF after your'e done - this is very handy software that allows you, for example, to create pdf documents directly from Word (better than the way Word itself does it), etc.

2. Use a PDF to Word converter - there are many resources that do this which you can find on the Web. Personally I use ABBYY FineReader, which is not cheap, but performs better that the free converters on the web. I wouldn't buy it for just one job, though.

Hope this helps
D.

[Edited at 2015-06-04 13:51 GMT]
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to copy/paste Hebrew words into word text?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »