Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 16:42
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Standing mat. Sep 11, 2016

That's a great idea, Catherine. I think I may be trying the standing mat soon. Does it work better with shoes/socks on or being barefoot?

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:42
Portuguese to English
+ ...
eBay Sep 11, 2016

Catherine V. Howard wrote:

In my case, given how expensive the adjustable desks are, versus how cheap accessories have become, the second option was much more cost-effective for me.

Yes they are pricey and since I didn't know if standing would even solve my problem I was reluctant to splash out the full price on one. However, I set eBay to watch for Varidesks coming available in my area and within a couple of weeks found a design company nearby that was being liquidated and had seven of them for sale. I managed to buy a large one (enough room for 2 monitors and a laptop) still in the box for about 40% of the normal retail price and it's proved to be a fantastic solution. The staff in this office were using yoga mats to stand on.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Was thinking of this one. Sep 11, 2016

Decipherit wrote:

The staff in this office were using yoga mats to stand on.

When Catherine mentioned the standing mat, I immediately thought I could perhaps improvise with yoga mat. Then perhaps standing mat technology has something in it which targets the vertical support (which yoga mat is not).

Examples of non-conventional use: I use yoga mat roll to put under my thighs while working or driving or behind my back (like a massage roll). Same with ergonomic memory foam pillow. Also I fold it and put it on my lap, and then the laptop on top of it, it makes a difference.

[Edited at 2016-09-11 10:41 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
standing desk, height-adjustable Sep 11, 2016

I bought a motorised one from a famous Swedish outlet when I had severe back problem and I couldn't work sitting down... it just saved my life... my back-ache resolved itself after a few weeks and then I could sit down again, on my new and very expensive Herman Miller chair... never had a problem since...

[Edited at 2016-09-11 13:59 GMT]

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Also Sep 11, 2016

It takes time to adapt to a new routine. Maybe you should try it a bit longer than two days.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Oh my knees! Sep 11, 2016

Toon Theuwis wrote:

I've been trying to translate at a standing desk for 2 days

I was shopping for food a while ago and when I went to the checkout I noticed that all the staff were standing at the checkout desks. One of them mentioned to me how tired and in pain he was after hours and hours of doing this. I told him he should raise it with the management. Other supermarket chains provide chairs for their staff.

I can't imagine why anyone would choose to work standing up, of their own free will, and pay extra for it !

IMHO the way to not suffer from backache is to have a hard chair (not a soft "Mr Big Time Executive with Headrest") chair designed by someone who knows about chairs, that supports your lower back, leaves your head free to turn, and has castors and armrests, such this one which I use:

http://www.awhiteroom.com/kartell/kartell-maui-swivel-chair-adjustable-height-arms.asp

AND

Make sure your eyes align with the TOP EDGE of your computer screen.

AND

Take a break and walk around every half hour or so.

AND

Walk energetically for at least 40 minutes every day.

[Edited at 2016-09-11 15:37 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
hmm Sep 11, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Toon Theuwis wrote:

I've been trying to translate at a standing desk for 2 days

I was shopping for food a while ago and when I went to the checkout I noticed that all the staff were standing at the checkout desks. One of them mentioned to me how tired and in pain he was after hours and hours of doing this. I told him he should raise it with the management. Other supermarket chains provide chairs for their staff.

I can't imagine why anyone would choose to work standing up, of their own free will, and pay extra for it !

IMHO the way to not suffer from backache is to have a hard chair (not a soft "Mr Big Time Executive with Headrest") chair designed by someone who knows about chairs, that supports your lower back, leaves your head free to turn, and has castors and armrests, such this one which I use:

http://www.awhiteroom.com/kartell/kartell-maui-swivel-chair-adjustable-height-arms.asp

AND

Make sure your eyes align with the TOP EDGE of your computer screen.

AND

Take a break and walk around every half hour or so.

AND

Walk energetically for at least 40 minutes every day.

[Edited at 2016-09-11 15:37 GMT]

That's all very good and well, but not all of us have time to "Walk energetically for at least 40 minutes every day". I certainly don't. I'm lucky if I get my 10 minutes with the dog in the morning and at night. And since I am stuck at my desk for so many hours every day (pretty much whenever I am awake these days), I'd prefer to be able to stand or sit when doing so.

Michael

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
the best working position ... Sep 11, 2016

that lets blood flowing where it's most needed:

deskrite_500_writing_1

ah, yes add a laptop / background scenery optional ...

Toon Theuwis (X)
Toon Theuwis (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And Sep 12, 2016

keep your eyes open

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
REALLY BAD Sep 12, 2016

Daryo wrote:

that lets blood flowing where it's most needed:

deskrite_500_writing_1

ah, yes add a laptop / background scenery optional ...

That is REALLY BAD for your back. Look at the shape of your spinal column and think what happens to it when you swing from side to side. Just looking at this gives me a backache.

[Edited at 2016-09-12 13:53 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
All very well Sep 12, 2016

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

That's all very good and well, but not all of us have time to "Walk energetically for at least 40 minutes every day". I certainly don't.

You have to MAKE the time. You're making it sound like hard work. Strolling to take the dog for a **** won't do. You need to be walking ENERGETICALLY so that you are breathing deeply with all your inter-dependent organs - heart, lungs, muscles, tendons,etc, working hard. Try it a few times. You'll discover that you enjoy it and want to do it. It will become part of your day, and on the days when you're not busy, you should walk for longer than 40 minutes. Work out your own collection of circular walks that begin and end at your house and last for about 40 mins. and are not too busy or polluted by traffic.

[Edited at 2016-09-12 14:00 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
agree with Tom here Sep 13, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

That's all very good and well, but not all of us have time to "Walk energetically for at least 40 minutes every day". I certainly don't.

You have to MAKE the time. You're making it sound like hard work. Strolling to take the dog for a **** won't do. You need to be walking ENERGETICALLY so that you are breathing deeply with all your inter-dependent organs - heart, lungs, muscles, tendons,etc, working hard. Try it a few times. You'll discover that you enjoy it and want to do it. It will become part of your day, and on the days when you're not busy, you should walk for longer than 40 minutes. Work out your own collection of circular walks that begin and end at your house and last for about 40 mins. and are not too busy or polluted by traffic.

You might need a bigger dog. Mine is officially in the "big dog" category (when it comes to flea medicine at least), and he needs two brisk half-hour walks every day. If you just take him round the block to empty bowels and bladder, he's under your feet making a general nuisance of himself until he gets his exercise. I take him out after dinner and it has worked wonders for my fragile digestive system.

It really is worth the effort to exercise. I never bothered before but now that I exercise regularly I really feel a huge difference, I lost all my excess weight and I have more energy to do other stuff, I don't have to sit to chop my vegetables any more, and I believe it has also staved off the need for surgery on my veins.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I know all of these things, but... Sep 13, 2016

Texte Style wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

You might need a bigger dog. Mine is officially in the "big dog" category (when it comes to flea medicine at least), and he needs two brisk half-hour walks every day. If you just take him round the block to empty bowels and bladder, he's under your feet making a general nuisance of himself until he gets his exercise. I take him out after dinner and it has worked wonders for my fragile digestive system.

It really is worth the effort to exercise. I never bothered before but now that I exercise regularly I really feel a huge difference, I lost all my excess weight and I have more energy to do other stuff, I don't have to sit to chop my vegetables any more, and I believe it has also staved off the need for surgery on my veins.

I know what is good for me, and in fact already love exercising and long walks. But, … life is busy for me at the moment. My wife and I are having all kinds of work done on a house we only bought around a year ago, I have a 17-month-old baby girl roaming around the house, in need of constant attention, I'm currently working for two (until Juniper goes off to nursery and my wife gets back to work), etc. I am luck to have 10 minutes of Michael-time a day. I suspect you guys may be in a different phase of your life, and probably have more disposable time than I currently do.

However, this is not to say that I don't fully agree with you: a person does need to make the time, before it's too late. OK, back to work! Gotta get these two small jobs done before Juniper and Jen get back from the park for lunch

Michael

PS: my dog is small and lazy, and prefers sitting on a chair watching the people go by

[Edited at 2016-09-13 10:27 GMT]

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Sarah Lewis-Morgan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
I am in total agreement with Tom Sep 13, 2016

Given the amount of work I get offered I could, if I wanted to, sit at my desk and work from the moment I get up to the moment I fall back into bed. But what good is a super-healthy bank balance if I keel over with a heart attack in the near future? Sitting too long is unhealthy for anyone. So I really would recommend getting a dog/making the lazy dog take more exercise/going to a gym or whatever form of exercise you enjoy or can tolerate - daily. Making a little more time is not impossible. <... See more
Given the amount of work I get offered I could, if I wanted to, sit at my desk and work from the moment I get up to the moment I fall back into bed. But what good is a super-healthy bank balance if I keel over with a heart attack in the near future? Sitting too long is unhealthy for anyone. So I really would recommend getting a dog/making the lazy dog take more exercise/going to a gym or whatever form of exercise you enjoy or can tolerate - daily. Making a little more time is not impossible.

When I was trying to build up a client base and making myself available for silly periods of time often seven days a week I was permanently tired, but not in a good way. The one thing that got me up from my desk was the pleading face of my dog when she wanted exercise, and the occasional break to ride horses. Now I have settled on a better balance and the dog is happier for it. She also gets far more exercise as I have more time to ride those horses.

Which takes me back to the OT. I looked at this thread because I have been wondering whether a standing desk would be of any use to me. But then I saw the mention of saddle chairs. Standing all day does not seem to be the solution, but when I spend a long time on a horse (and I am talking half a day/a day at a time) the pain in my neck and shoulders is noticeably less. I really think I might be on to something there and I am now looking for a supplier vaguely in my area so I can go and try some out (rather than buy one online - at the prices I have seen I need to be sure). Thank you to whoever made the suggestion.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Tom: Sep 13, 2016

Having taken your advice, I am now off to the beach for 1 hour or so (maybe 2), with my baby girl and wife. No dog, as he's not allowed on the beach in Hastings in the summer months. I will, however, have to catch up this evening, and work late (when it hopefully cools down a bit).

Michael

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working at standing desk

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »