Local time: 17:46
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure... May 29, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Huw Watkins wrote:
"According to Harvard Medical School, someone who weighs 125 pounds will burn about 240 calories per hour walking at a slow pace of 3.5 miles per hour, which is a 17-minute mile, and burn about 270 calories walking one hour at a more brisk pace of 4 miles per hour, which is a 15-minute-mile."

But someone who weighs 125 pounds is very unlikely to be obese unless they're extremely short. And then there's this:
https://www.sharecare.com/health/calories/brain-calories-at-rest
It says "The human brain is responsible for roughly 20% of our total calories burned each day, which is pretty amazing when you think about it! To put this in perspective, if your total calorie burn for the day is 2000, then approximately 400 of those calories burned will be from brain activity" and "Studies suggest complex exercises that challenge your ability to balance, move in different directions, and at faster speeds force your mind to work harder by engaging multiple parts of the brain."

This is in line with what I believe to be true, though of course you need to research further. But I really don't think that slowly, rhythmically, mindlessly moving your legs back and forth is going to do much for weight loss. And until you've got some weight off your joints and toned up your muscles then doing repeated movements hour after hour, particularly in your lower body with your weight on it, is most likely to produce strains and then tendinitis etc.

But I'm not a medical person. I'm also fortunate enough never to have been remotely overweight.

...that the sit down and THINK my way into good health and calorie burning is really working for me, would that it were...

[Edited at 2016-05-29 21:16 GMT]

Huw Watkins
Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 29, 2016

patyjs wrote:

You might find this helpful if you do think about buying:

http://www.cnet.com/news/my-life-with-a-treadmill-desk-e-mail-and-browsing-at-2-mph/

As I mentioned above, the idea is not to workout as such, but just to keep moving.

Yes I spotted that article a while back too. Chances are that I'll probably go with a DIY job as I'm not a fan of throwing big money at my hair-brained ideas and I'm reasonably handy with practical jobs. That said, I definitely see the benefits of getting a Treadmill that is designed for slow rotation, is very sturdy and can accommodate a bit of weight. The LifeSpan definitely seems to be the way to go in that respect. I also saw a Dutch make (I think) that looked interesting too, the Walkdesk™ WTD200. But again it isn't cheap.

Also they have some cracking marketing in their sales blurb:

"It’s also relaxing, improves posture and makes you sound a lot more lovely."

Well, I'm gonna sound a lot more lovely then how can I say no??? tee hee hee...

[Edited at 2016-05-29 22:41 GMT]

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:46
German to English
+ ...
saddle chair for now May 30, 2016

Besides the expense being talked about, I couldn't help thinking that as we walk we bobble up and down, and how does that gel with trying to look at text, plus the screen, plus type. I've now read that with standing desks, doctors are seeing a passle of patients with varicose veins. But walking is a different matter. I knew however that the traditional chair is not good for us. I... See more
Besides the expense being talked about, I couldn't help thinking that as we walk we bobble up and down, and how does that gel with trying to look at text, plus the screen, plus type. I've now read that with standing desks, doctors are seeing a passle of patients with varicose veins. But walking is a different matter. I knew however that the traditional chair is not good for us. I've opted for a saddle chair http://www.complete-feet.co.uk/images/tiltingsaddleshortweb.jpg and that has made quite a difference.Collapse

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:46
Chinese to English
RE May 30, 2016

Huw, it's great that you're thinking of proactively taking steps to get back in shape. I think the treadmill desk sounds like a great idea as long as you don't compensate by eating more. I'm a fairly avid athlete, but have found that maintaining my weight has much more to do with diet than exercise. There are times when I am quite active but snack at night and wind up putting weight on, not off. So the main thing is going to be for you to put most of your focus on the diet/lifestyle side of thin... See more
Huw, it's great that you're thinking of proactively taking steps to get back in shape. I think the treadmill desk sounds like a great idea as long as you don't compensate by eating more. I'm a fairly avid athlete, but have found that maintaining my weight has much more to do with diet than exercise. There are times when I am quite active but snack at night and wind up putting weight on, not off. So the main thing is going to be for you to put most of your focus on the diet/lifestyle side of things (especially getting to bed early and not snacking at night). And most critically, do not let yourself start thinking that walking on the treadmill allows you to eat more.

On the plus side of things, as long as you're not eating more, I think that the treadmill really could help your weight and health. Those 'standing is the new smoking' headlines make a lot of sense to me, and even if you only burn a couple of hundred calories a day, that's a start.

A couple of other thoughts for you--
1. If you're doing DIY, how about going for an approach that would let you use the treadmill for vigorous aerobic exercise as well (assuming you get clearance from your doctor/cardiologist to do this)? Perhaps the desk could swing away, or the screen could be located on the wall so that actually running on the treadmill (of course not at the same time as working) wouldn't rattle your equipment/computer around?
2. If you're an animal lover, think about getting a dog! We have a monitor set up on a wall for standing, but I still sit a lot out of pure laziness. Our dog, on the other hand, needs to be walked at least 2-3 times a day, and that's something that my guilty conscience will not let me put off.
3. Not sure if it will help you, but the best thing I've done health-wise since I started translating was to start thinking of exercise as part of my job. As self-employed individuals, our bodies/minds are our main asset, and there is no backup plan or disability package waiting from our employers if these fail. So when you schedule your days, put a block (or two or three) of time in for exercise, and do not move it for anything. If you're really as unhealthy as you wrote, I think exercise should be the very first thing on your work priority list, even above your clients. You owe a lot to your clients responsibility-wise, but not your life and well-being, and so PUT YOURSELF FIRST.

[Edited at 2016-05-30 10:33 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Diet is the key issue, exercise is secondary May 30, 2016

Preston Decker wrote:
I'm a fairly avid athlete, but have found that maintaining my weight has much more to do with diet than exercise.

Preston is spot on. You can't outrun your fork. I am about 15kg lighter than I was at my peak and I have maintained that weight loss for about five years.

Most exercise is inherently good and to be encouraged, of course, but a genuine, sustained change in the way you eat is the only way to get the weight off and keep it off.

Dan

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 18:46
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Several issues... May 30, 2016

The OP reports wanting to achieve a higher fitness level, lose weight and minimize pressure on their hips.

I was really thinking sitting on the floor is really good for your hips and posture; take some mats, position yourself and take your laptop. You may wanna use some cushions under your thighs, etc, depending on what's comfortable. Ask people in Asia about hip problems, their entire culture mostly involves doing things on the floor (sitting, eating, etc). No sofas, no beds, no ch
... See more
The OP reports wanting to achieve a higher fitness level, lose weight and minimize pressure on their hips.

I was really thinking sitting on the floor is really good for your hips and posture; take some mats, position yourself and take your laptop. You may wanna use some cushions under your thighs, etc, depending on what's comfortable. Ask people in Asia about hip problems, their entire culture mostly involves doing things on the floor (sitting, eating, etc). No sofas, no beds, no chairs.

See here:

http://www.thealternativedaily.com/5-reasons-sitting-floor-good-health/

Or you can combine this with desk work (ie. if you have a tall desk, you can shift between standing and sitting by using a bar chair for instance). I would suggest you to be dynamic in terms of body posture anyway, and take breaks every half an hour.

Also, the useful advice about diet you received on this topic should be followed too.

[Edited at 2016-05-30 09:15 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Reminds me of... May 30, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

...that the sit down and THINK my way into good health and calorie burning is really working for me, would that it were...

[Edited at 2016-05-29 21:16 GMT]

Ha ha - that reminds me of something that used to be in an advertisment for some product or other (which I don't recall) where a man says

"I am losing weight by wearing trainers whilst eating".

[Edited at 2016-05-30 09:03 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
True May 30, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Huw Watkins wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Lose weight

[Edited at 2016-05-29 16:21 GMT]

1. Eat a balanced, healthy diet, in moderation.
2. Take at least 40 minutes' energetic exercise every day.

That's all. You don't need to do anything else.

This is at the core of it all, simple, and all the gismos and programmes and diets and whatever else is cleverly developed and marketed so that you will part with your money, e.g. I read an article about Weightwatchers and they admitted that it is a brilliant concept as they get so much repeat business.

I think you can save all that money and see whether you can change your diet a bit (but still to your taste) and fit some activity you enjoy into your day/routine, be it walking/running the dog, cycling ...

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Some ideas May 30, 2016

You can find lots of inspiration on this page:

Instructables

...and (my own) bike version:

Workxercise bike

Of course there is always an ideal way to do things - but a less bad li
... See more
You can find lots of inspiration on this page:

Instructables

Workxercise bike

Of course there is always an ideal way to do things - but a less bad lifestyle is always preferrable to a really bad one. Some changes take time, especially weight loss can be a whole lot more difficult than letting go of cigarettes.
Collapse

Preston Decker
United States
Chinese to English
Western Diet May 30, 2016

Dan Lucas wrote:

Preston Decker wrote:
I'm a fairly avid athlete, but have found that maintaining my weight has much more to do with diet than exercise.

Preston is spot on. You can't outrun your fork. I am about 15kg lighter than I was at my peak and I have maintained that weight loss for about five years.

Most exercise is inherently good and to be encouraged, of course, but a genuine, sustained change in the way you eat is the only way to get the weight off and keep it off.

Dan

And the Western diet (or maybe more specially, an American diet) is so bad for your weight. I'm a tall and inherently big/muscular guy (6'5, weighed 235 pounds with 9% body fat when I was playing basketball in college) and so the below numbers mean a bit less for me then for someone half my size, but I think I've averaged a 10-15 pound weight loss in each of my 4-5 month stays in China the past couple of years. Problem is that I put that weight right back on during the other part of the year in America.

One thing I really think we do wrong in the States is stocking our pantries/cabinets to the brim. My theory is that it all comes down to convenience--zoning laws in America, as well as the low population density in most suburbs, means that most suburban Americans have to drive to the supermarket. The inconvenience of driving means we buy a lot each time we go. When my wife and I are home in the States we always have a large stock of ice cream, cookies, etc. in our cabinet, whereas in China, perhaps because there are so many stores within walking distance of each apartment block, I usually only buy what I'm going to eat right away.

Huw Watkins
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow Super! May 30, 2016

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:

Workxercise bike

Of course there is always an ideal way to do things - but a less bad lifestyle is always preferrable to a really bad one. Some changes take time, especially weight loss can be a whole lot more difficult than letting go of cigarettes.

Finally someone who is actually trying this/a similar idea out! So tell me, do you use this as your main desk for the greater part of the day for your translation work? Is it difficult to concentrate/type/cut and paste/do general keyboard stuff? Is translating easier to do than proof reading, or both the same? Any other experiences?

I also completely agree with the idea that letting go with weight loss and attempting lifestyle and dietary changes are very challenging. I have oscillated wildly with diets in the past and developing an obsession around diet is really not the way to go in my opinion. I think it's all about just eating less and trying to cut out sugar. I used to be and have had periods in my life where I have exercised vigorously - playing rugby, tennis, cricket, squash, gym cardio stuff, walking (more recently, digging in the allotment). I just found the consistency hard to manage and going to the gym after pulling an all-nighter to meet a deadline was really hard. In fact it has always come back to work with me, when I suddenly get really busy, I find it really hard to have the energy to keep the exercise regime up. This is why I am now looking at trying to change the work situation first and take it from there. The increased alertness, productivity and general sense of well-being that people are reporting with daily use of walking desks really appeals. Shaking that diabetic sluggish feeling that plagues me on a daily basis I think would be huge for me.

One other thing that experince has taught me. The periods in my life when I was my most lean (I was under 60 kilos at the age of 19) was not whan I was playing vigorous amounts of sport (when I was 17 and playing rugby 3 to 4 times a week I was 3 stone heavier than when I was 19), it was when I was walking for many hours during the day. At 19 I went travelling and did a lot of trekking in the Himalayas and just general walking (in cities/countryside - wherever). I pretty much kept most of the weight off until I got my first desk job and drastically cut down my hours of walking. It was downhill from there despite keeping a relatively active sports life for a good number of years.

[Edited at 2016-05-30 11:31 GMT]

Preston Decker
United States
Chinese to English
Holy Grail of Treadmill Desk Info May 30, 2016

Huw:

https://thoughtsontranslation.com/?s=walking%20desk

A bunch of posts on treadmill desks, hope this helps.

Huw Watkins
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Certainly does! May 30, 2016

Preston Decker wrote:

Huw:

https://thoughtsontranslation.com/?s=walking%20desk

A bunch of posts on treadmill desks, hope this helps.

Thanks!

I've skim read one or two blog entries and as soon as I get my work delivered today I'll have a good read of this. Seems to have a lot of the feedback I am after.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
you have your answer right here: May 30, 2016

Huw Watkins wrote:

going to the gym after pulling an all-nighter to meet a deadline was really hard.

I would say that most anything is hard after pulling an all-nighter, so you might want to start with deadline control? Making sure of getting enough sleep is pretty important for your health in general.

Huw Watkins wrote:

At 19 I went travelling and did a lot of trekking in the Himalayas and just general walking

I too lost all excess weight and then some while trekking in the Himalayas. My legs were pure muscle too. All that clambering up and down and up again and down again, and the only thing on the menu was rice and lentils with a fistful of spices and perhaps a carrot or onion in with the lentils.

Lately with the time of life I had put on some weight round my hips, stopped weighing myself when I hit 70 kilos, and I probably reached 75 tbh.
Then I started going to the pool every morning, 40 lengths a time, that's a kilometre. My hips just slimmed down and I'm now down to 60 kilos, it doesn't budge any more. Ideal weight being 63 apparently for my 1m73.

For the time being I'm sharing an office and I have a 30-min bike ride to get there, I only go swimming on days I don't go into the office, mostly three days a week. I've upped to 60 lengths because I no longer felt I'd done anything after 40.

I also take the dog for a good half-hour walk of an evening.

Result: I don't think I've ever been fitter, and I get a kick out of wearing stuff I wouldn't have dared to wear before. I'm trying very hard not to become a preachy fitness freak, but definitely, exercise can be its own reward and so very much more.

[Edited at 2016-05-30 12:47 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Walking Desks and Translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »