Thread poster: Mariusz Kuklinski
Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:56
German to English
Linguistics Jan 31, 2015

Thomas Frost wrote:
I know you enjoy nit-picking linguistics, Tom. Mindset, or mind-set, is one of these words or concepts that dictionaries don't agree on. Merriam-Webster spells it mind-set. On cambridge.org, it is mindset.

Merriam-Webster is American English and Cambridge is UK English and they deal with two different languages. Should it be grey or grey, or modeling or modelling. The discussion can go on forever. 'Set up' and 'set-up' are both correct UK English word pairings, but one is used as a verb and the other as a noun.

Ben

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:56
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Authority Jan 31, 2015

Thomas Frost wrote:

As there is no linguistic authority for English, who decides who is right and who is wrong?

Wittgenstein spent his whole life philosophising about these matters.

Is this a website? Why do we call this a website? Who decided? Is it just because we've all agreed that that's what it is? Might it be something else? We might have called it a bicycle.

Unless we can name things, they don't exist. But who decides on the names?

[Edited at 2015-01-31 11:15 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Webster Jan 31, 2015

Ben Senior wrote:

[Should it be grey or grey, or modeling or modelling.

Ben

The great Webster, one of my heroes, did try to simplify the English language and make it logical. That's what we now call American English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_Webster

But we digress............ Let's get back to RSI

[Edited at 2015-01-31 11:19 GMT]

Mariusz Kuklinski
Mariusz Kuklinski  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Stress management Jan 31, 2015

[quote]Thomas Frost wrote:

"Stress management is perhaps as important, if not more, than all the gadgets. Some people find yoga helps (I myself haven't seen the light yet). Others may have other techniques."

- Mine is a small brandy.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Alcohol Jan 31, 2015

Mariusz Kuklinski wrote:

That's fine for occasional use, but it's more of a symptom treatment than a cure, and it can't deal with serious or permanent stress. As anyone knows, care should be taken with alcohol, as it can develop into a problem of its own if over-used, and then you may up with both RSI, stress and an alcohol problem.

Mariusz Kuklinski
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
clarification on a small brandy Jan 31, 2015

Thomas Frost wrote:

Mariusz Kuklinski wrote:

That's fine for occasional use, but it's more of a symptom treatment than a cure, and it can't deal with serious or permanent stress. As anyone knows, care should be taken with alcohol, as it can develop into a problem of its own if over-used, and then you may up with both RSI, stress and an alcohol problem.

All right, I stand corrected, mine is an occasional, small brandy. Unfortunately, if over-used, I find it difficult to find the monitor.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
The answer is in the first line you wrote Jan 31, 2015

Mariusz Kuklinski wrote:
Hi fellow keyboard slaves

I second the other suggestions for using a better designed keyboard. The most important thing is to get a keyboard that is contoured and split. If you already have a touch of RSI it is, literally, painful to go back to a straight keyboard after using an ergonomic.

The Microsoft Natural 4000 is a good place to start, though the keys are a bit mushy. I'm currently testing a Maltron keyboard. Good but strange.

Lots of threads here on ProZ speech recognition as well. I'm impressed by the accuracy of Dragon Naturally Speaking during dictation but I find it very fiddly for navigating within a segment if that segment contains tags.

Dan

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Brandy Jan 31, 2015

Mariusz Kuklinski wrote:

All right, I stand corrected, mine is an occasional, small brandy. Unfortunately, if over-used, I find it difficult to find the monitor.

As long as you monitor brandy use, you should be fine

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Dragon Jan 31, 2015

Dan Lucas wrote:

Lots of threads here on ProZ speech recognition as well. I'm impressed by the accuracy of Dragon Naturally Speaking during dictation but I find it very fiddly for navigating within a segment if that segment contains tags.

I also once had a naturally speaking dragon in the house, but whereas she was very good at dictating, I didn't find any RSI relief.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

No sexism intended.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
MacBreakZ Jan 31, 2015

I use the "personal ergonomic assistant" called MacBreakZ (since I use a Mac...).

http://www.publicspace.net/MacBreakZ/

It's basically a software which monitors your keyboard and mouse use, prompts you to take breaks and suggests exercises. You begin by setting up a profile - how much time you want to work before taking a break, whether you use a mouse or trackball (I am a
... See more
I use the "personal ergonomic assistant" called MacBreakZ (since I use a Mac...).

It's basically a software which monitors your keyboard and mouse use, prompts you to take breaks and suggests exercises. You begin by setting up a profile - how much time you want to work before taking a break, whether you use a mouse or trackball (I am also a huge fan of the latter), and whether it is for prevention or rehabilitation.

I find it very helpful; I'm sure there are other similar products if you use a PC.

[Edited at 2015-01-31 15:06 GMT]
Collapse

Mariusz Kuklinski
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting idea Jan 31, 2015

That's an interesing idea. Thank you, Fiona.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Tried it Jan 31, 2015

Fiona Peterson wrote:

It's basically a software which monitors your keyboard and mouse use, prompts you to take breaks and suggests exercises. You begin by setting up a profile - how much time you want to work before taking a break, whether you use a mouse or trackball (I am also a huge fan of the latter), and whether it is for prevention or rehabilitation.

I find it very helpful; I'm sure there are other similar products if you use a PC.

[Edited at 2015-01-31 15:06 GMT]

I tried Time Out (freeware) for the Mac, for a while, but when my pre-determined work period ran out I just over-rode it Maybe I'll have another go with it.

http://www.dejal.com/timeout/

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
TonyTK
TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
Try changing mouse hands Jan 31, 2015

After suffering from the occasional bout of RSI, I decided to try switching the mouse from left to right (and changing over the click functions, of course) - and now do so every couple of weeks.

I'm useless at virtually everything else with my right hand (there's no way I could brush my teeth, for example), but it only took me about an hour to get used to working the mouse. It's a bit like switching from left-hand to right-hand gear shift.

Jennifer Barnett
Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
mindset and headset are not the same thing! Feb 1, 2015

You can't wear a mindset, altho' it is nicely framed by the headset.

OED: the established set of attitudes held by someone: eg, 'the region seems stuck in a medieval mindset'.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

RSI risk for translators

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »