Nov 30, 2010

Hi all,

Most of us have a sedantary lifestyle with little
physical effort (typing and looking at a screen is hardly
demanding much physical effort).

Some of us also eat the wrong type of food, making us fat/overweight
and for us with the disposition, we get diabtes mellitus, aka type 2
aka old age (50-70?) diabetes, fomerly called sugar illnes in some
countries(at least in Sweden and Germany).

I was diagnosed a diabetic in 19
... See more
Hi all,

Most of us have a sedantary lifestyle with little
physical effort (typing and looking at a screen is hardly
demanding much physical effort).

Some of us also eat the wrong type of food, making us fat/overweight
and for us with the disposition, we get diabtes mellitus, aka type 2
aka old age (50-70?) diabetes, fomerly called sugar illnes in some
countries(at least in Sweden and Germany).

I was diagnosed a diabetic in 1998 and in 2006 I had aheart attack and in 2007
I had a minor stroke (TIA) and got scared to death.

Finally in 2008 (after 10 years) I got out of it and I have even
recently got a certificate that I am not a diabetic any more.

I started to gradually change my eating habits in January 2008 with full
swing in April. I lost 15 kg in three months and I could throw away my
medicines in May and in Sptemeber a had a blood sugar like a nondiabetic.

Meanwhile I had joined a LCHF (LowCardHighFat) network where real knowledge
abounded and where I could educate myself above tha state of ignorance
that I shared with the majority of people (including most doctors).

I am now trying to 'kick up a rumpus' in the media about the horrendous
state of affairs where diabetics are advised to eat that which make them
ill, i.e. carbohydrates. (A diabetic simply cannot handle carbs)

What applies to diabetes also applies to overweight. Many studies have
proved that carb restriction is the secret to loosing fat
(See Banting, pre-insulin dietary advice, Atkins etc).

In order to understand this, one has to know something about human metabolism
which most of us (including doctors and journalists) don't.

I you are interested I am of course willing to elaborate on this and
of course answer questions you might have.

Best regards

Mats Wiman
ex-diabetic

[Edited at 2010-12-23 15:59 GMT]
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:59
English to Arabic
+ ...
Congratulations on coming out of this, Mats! Nov 30, 2010

That is very good to hear. To be honest it's the very first time I've heard of the possibility of overcoming diabetes (though maybe I haven't heard much).

Hopefully I won't need the information any time soon, but if I do, I'll remember to get in touch with you.

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Well done Nov 30, 2010

Well done Mats!
But shouldn't this be under The Lighter Side of Translation!
Suzi

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 17:59
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks Nesrin! Nov 30, 2010

One must remember, that in one sense I am not really "out of it" because I still have the disposition, if I slip back to old, bad eating habits (eating to much carbs) I'll quickly become a diabetic again.

But Nesrin, remember that cutting carbs also heal overweight and fat persons, which is maybe more prevalent with translators (with little physical effort) than with others using their bodies more than we are.

[Edited at 2010-11-30 22:33 GMT]

Mats Wiman
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
I do not understand Nov 30, 2010

Susanna Garcia wrote:

Well done Mats!
Suzi

Are you serious?

JH Trads
JH Trads  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:59
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Congratulations! Nov 30, 2010

and thanks for sharing.

What kind of carbs are the most dangerous, and what specific eating habits would you recommend to avoid based on your experience?

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
The "lighter" side of translation Nov 30, 2010

Mats Wiman wrote:

Susanna Garcia wrote:

Well done Mats!
Suzi

Are you serious?

I think Suzi is referring to the fact that you're now 15 kgs "lighter", Mats

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Apologies Nov 30, 2010

No Mats not about the forum and sincere apologies for any offence but truly well done with the diabetes. My much missed Dad had the same struggle so I know how hard your battle has been
best wishes

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Congratulation Mats Dec 1, 2010

And you highlight a very important general issue for all of us.

Mats Wiman
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks Nesrin and Susanna! Dec 1, 2010

for clarifying the matter.

I always thought I have a sense of humour
My photo (the grim one preceeding the present one), as has been pointed out to me recently, maybe does not indicate that

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Answer to Hugo: Many try to c
... See more
for clarifying the matter.

I always thought I have a sense of humour
My photo (the grim one preceeding the present one), as has been pointed out to me recently, maybe does not indicate that

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Answer to Hugo: Many try to cloud the physiological functioning of the human metabolism by talking about 'fast' and 'slow' carbohydrates meaning that the fast ones are bad but the slow ones are good.
Fast carbs are e.g. sugar, HFCS (High Fructose Corn Sirup), very refined flour as in white bread (I used to love baguettes) and soft drinks sweetened with sugar or HFCS. These immediately and quickly trigger insulin which leads the produced blood sugar into cells needing energy, at the same time blocking the burning of body fat, which remains where it has been deposited. The not used blood sugar is deposited as fat. Most people don't know about this mecahnism. I did not until 3 years ago.

Truth is that all carbohydrates (even slow ones) produce this mechanism.

Most people do not know the basic fact that carbohydrates are converted into blood sugar by our metabolism, so it not only sugar which has to be avoided, which many believe (or have been led to believe).

Carbs-laden foods are bread, pasta, rice, potatoes to name a few (I might publish a carb list later)

Mats

[Edited at 2010-12-01 01:02 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-11 12:43 GMT]
Collapse

Travelin Ann
Travelin Ann  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Moderator comment Dec 1, 2010

You guys are so good, you don't need a moderator.

When I saw the comment about "lighter" I thought to make a Mod comment to explain, but you all sorted it out almost immediately.

Well done Mats! Several diabetics in my family history, so this is a topic close to me.

Travelin Ann

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:59
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Well known fact Dec 1, 2010

Most diseases lead to overweight (and poor hygiene). Avoiding starch and sugar and increasing protein intake is the most effective diet according to newest trials.
The connection between overweight and diabetes is well established.
But it is so easy to let things slip especially these days when shops are bursting of Christmas food and sweets!
A balance and a measuring tape help to keep your weight in check. You don't need a gym to stay in shape, half an hour of exercise at home
... See more
Most diseases lead to overweight (and poor hygiene). Avoiding starch and sugar and increasing protein intake is the most effective diet according to newest trials.
The connection between overweight and diabetes is well established.
But it is so easy to let things slip especially these days when shops are bursting of Christmas food and sweets!
A balance and a measuring tape help to keep your weight in check. You don't need a gym to stay in shape, half an hour of exercise at home every day is more effective than gym twice a week.
Congrats to Mats!
Collapse

Irene (Renata) Liapis
Irene (Renata) Liapis  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
You are so right Dec 1, 2010

Hi Mat,
If everyone followed this advice, we would have many less health problems in general.

I am not diabetic but have been following this kind of diet for several months now, not so much for losing weight anymore but because it really makes me feel great - including 100% better sleeping patterns and lower stress levels.
Carbs should indeed be kept to a minimum (in my case never more than 100 grams a day of bread and other carbs - except potatoes which you can have jus
... See more
Hi Mat,
If everyone followed this advice, we would have many less health problems in general.

I am not diabetic but have been following this kind of diet for several months now, not so much for losing weight anymore but because it really makes me feel great - including 100% better sleeping patterns and lower stress levels.
Carbs should indeed be kept to a minimum (in my case never more than 100 grams a day of bread and other carbs - except potatoes which you can have just a little bit more of) and normal sized portions of green salads (no huge salads but smaller sized ones). More lean protein and also several portions of fruit every day (in the case of diabetes I imagine this has to be scrutinized carefully). It goes without saying that you are also much better off without alcohol.

I am part Italian and grew up in Italy, so pasta is a favorite meal - however this has to be in moderation as above (and indeed this is well known in Italy, where the portions of pasta are small and therefore not bad for your body but excellent for your palate- unlike other countries where pasta is served in amounts that are much too large).

I cannot stress enough how important nutrition is to our general well being - in my case I was actually able to lose weight although I am not overweight and had a very hypoactive thyroid - not an easy feat at all.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work - good nutrition is a lifelong effort (but becomes second nature after a while).
Collapse

Ana Malovrh
Ana Malovrh  Identity Verified
Slovenia
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Oh so true! Dec 1, 2010

Hello,

Mats thanks for sharing. I've come to the similar conclusion myself.

I think people would notice the difference just by cutting out the wheat products from their diet for starters.
Because many people don't even know that carbohydrates cause addiction. I realized this when I stopped eating bread about 10 years ago. I was hungry 24/7 for several months.

Therefore, if someone should decide to make a change in their d
... See more
Hello,

Mats thanks for sharing. I've come to the similar conclusion myself.

I think people would notice the difference just by cutting out the wheat products from their diet for starters.
Because many people don't even know that carbohydrates cause addiction. I realized this when I stopped eating bread about 10 years ago. I was hungry 24/7 for several months.

Therefore, if someone should decide to make a change in their diet my advice is to slowly reduce the amount of carbohydrates.

I've done a deep research on nutrition and the results were stunning, but by having no support from the doctors I try to make a difference on my own. This year I joined a program for nutrition counselors and maybe I will have more influence now.

It's good to know that every year more people are aware of this.

Take care.
Collapse

Frances Leggett
Frances Leggett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
very interesting topic Dec 1, 2010

Well done Mats and thank you very much for posting this thread because I think this is something that often gets overlooked in our profession (until you wake up in the morning and can't get into your jeans anymore...)

I started full time translation some years ago and it's not until a couple of years after starting to work from home that I realised that running to the metro station and then to work in the morning and evenings really did help to keep me in shape!

Regar
... See more
Well done Mats and thank you very much for posting this thread because I think this is something that often gets overlooked in our profession (until you wake up in the morning and can't get into your jeans anymore...)

I started full time translation some years ago and it's not until a couple of years after starting to work from home that I realised that running to the metro station and then to work in the morning and evenings really did help to keep me in shape!

Regards
Frances
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How i lost 15 kg and escaped diabetes

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »