Hannah Jäger
Hannah Jäger
Germany
Local time: 06:39
English to German
+ ...
Jul 15, 2020

Dear translation fellows,

I wanted to ask you how you would handle the following situation: You apply as a translator in a well-established company. The potential employer asks you to do a translation test in order to evaluate your translation and language skills. Great linguistic knowledge, as well as good translation skills, are essential for this job position.

In his instructions, he/she doesn't mention the use of CAT tools or online dictionaries in any way - he/she
... See more
Dear translation fellows,

I wanted to ask you how you would handle the following situation: You apply as a translator in a well-established company. The potential employer asks you to do a translation test in order to evaluate your translation and language skills. Great linguistic knowledge, as well as good translation skills, are essential for this job position.

In his instructions, he/she doesn't mention the use of CAT tools or online dictionaries in any way - he/she neither recommends them nor prohibits them.

My question: Would you naturally use your CAT - tool for this test? Or just your dictionaries? Or maybe even no aid at all?

Note: The company itself also works with CAT-tools. I would also do so in this job position.

- Thanks a lot for sharing your personal opinion and experience and have a great day!

Greetings,

Hannah
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:39
Member (2008)
Italian to English
As usual Jul 15, 2020

If I were you, I would do it as you usually do all your translations - using a CAT tool if that's what you do (but not relying on it to produce a good translation). The recipient will never know what tools you used.

[Edited at 2020-07-15 15:44 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Gabriele Metzler
Thomas Pfann
Josephine Cassar
Philip Lees
Hannah Jäger
Aline Amorim

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Hannah Jul 15, 2020

Hannah Jäger wrote:
In his instructions, he/she doesn't mention the use of CAT tools or online dictionaries in any way - he/she neither recommends them nor prohibits them.
My question: Would you naturally use your CAT - tool for this test? Or just your dictionaries? Or maybe even no aid at all?

Using a CAT tool is a normal part of a translator's job, and the CAT tool does not improve the translator's translating skill -- it simply helps him translate more easily. It's true that the CAT tool has additional quality control features that you would otherwise have to perform manually, but I think it's okay to use the CAT tool. It's like worrying if you're cheating if you use the spell-checker. If the client truly wants you to translate without techmology, he would have requested the translation in longhand.

I think just about the only thing you're not allowed to do, is consult other translators or get your translation edited by someone before delivery. Although I've participated in a number of translation test situations where it was considered normal to have the translation proofread before delivery, I don't think it should be done. You should show the client what you are capable of in isolation.

Some translators feel quite strongly that people who do test translations should not consult online forums. I think it's not a problem, as long as you're not asking your colleagues to do the test for you.

[Edited at 2020-07-15 15:53 GMT]

Christel Zipfel
Thomas Pfann
Philip Lees
expressisverbis
esperantisto
Aline Amorim

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
No big advantage Jul 15, 2020

A translation test should normally be small (for example 300 words and the like), and for small standalone projects, a CAT tool does not help much. CAT tools are more useful for bigger projects where you maintain and improve a TM and TB over time. I work very much with CATs, but even so, I normally don't use one for translation tests. Except, maybe, if the source contains a lot of code or tags.

Veronica Montserrat
expressisverbis
Aline Amorim

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
A great day Jul 15, 2020

Hannah, be wary with ‘free tests’ and ‘best rates’, because usually (1) references, (2) a relevant portfolio, and (3) a short interview should nicely do—or they must be looking for something really needy and different instead.

While CATs are ok with techy and repetitive texts, they are rather useless for fiction and creative works rich in stylistics approaches and devices. You decide, but don’t let “Never translate the same or similar again!” into “Never be paid fo
... See more
Hannah, be wary with ‘free tests’ and ‘best rates’, because usually (1) references, (2) a relevant portfolio, and (3) a short interview should nicely do—or they must be looking for something really needy and different instead.

While CATs are ok with techy and repetitive texts, they are rather useless for fiction and creative works rich in stylistics approaches and devices. You decide, but don’t let “Never translate the same or similar again!” into “Never be paid for translating the same or similar again!”

Take care
Collapse

Hannah Jäger

Hannah Jäger
Hannah Jäger
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you all Jul 16, 2020

thank you all very much for sharing your helpful advice with me!

Have a great day

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Hannah Jul 16, 2020

The fact that you use the terms ‘employer’ and ‘job position’ makes me wonder if you’re being invited to a pre-selection test for an in-house job…

[Edited at 2020-07-16 12:45 GMT]

Joe France
expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use my CAT-tool for translation tests?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »