PDF to Text software
Thread poster: April Berumen
April Berumen
April Berumen  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 28, 2003

I have downloaded 3 or 4 demo versions of this software (gemini, convertzone, PDF2TXT, and a couple others, I can\'t remember them all) but none of them have converted my Spanish language PDF\'s to text. Is it the language, or because it\'s a trial version??? I\'m ready to buy, after researching I\'d like to go with Gemini Solo but even that didn\'t extract the Spanish text from the documents.

Anyone have an idea or know for sure that Gemini \"reads\" Spanish?

... See more
I have downloaded 3 or 4 demo versions of this software (gemini, convertzone, PDF2TXT, and a couple others, I can\'t remember them all) but none of them have converted my Spanish language PDF\'s to text. Is it the language, or because it\'s a trial version??? I\'m ready to buy, after researching I\'d like to go with Gemini Solo but even that didn\'t extract the Spanish text from the documents.

A little confused,

April
Collapse

Dimitra Karamperi
Dimitra Karamperi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 01:46
English to Greek
+ ...
PDF to Text software Mar 28, 2003

I believe that the pdf\'s you \'ve tried to convert were protected.

Go to that page:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&forum_id=12&topic_id=9762

I haven\'t tested this program but maybe it will work for you.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:46
English to German
+ ...
Protected PDF? Mar 28, 2003

Hi April,

I don\'t use Gemini because I have the full Acrobat version, but this might be worth checking: could it be that the PDF file is protected? Try highlighting any word in the PDF file and right-click - if the \"Copy\" command is inactive, this means that the PDF was created as a protected file.

Best regards, Ralf

luka
luka
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Midas Mar 28, 2003

Prueba con el programa Midas de surefiresoftware.com. Tiene una versión de evaluación gratis.

Jesús Calzado
Jesús Calzado  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
have you tried with Midas Extractor? Mar 28, 2003

See this post http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=60400#60400 you\'ll find the link to the site to download it and test it.

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 01:46
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Try Midas Extractor V2.1.0 Mar 28, 2003

Midas Extractor V2.1.0 - easily extracts text from Acrobat PDF files.

Above: a typical Midas Extractor screenshot. This shows the files that have been created. These files contain the extracted text. The text files are created automatically after PDF files have been selected and/or dropped onto Midas Extractor.

The extracted text can be viewed by double clicking on the file name.

The file list may be cleared or more files added and text extracted at any time. More files are added by just repeating the drag and drop procedure. You can also drag and drop files from an open WinZip archive.

Features

- Extracts text from one or more files with just a few clicks.

- Works on PDF files from which text copy is not possible.

- Doesn\'t require any Adobe tools or other software.

- Selects a file, several files, all files in a folder and optionally include files in subfolders.

- Drag and drop files/folders from Windows Explorer onto Midas Extractor.

- Text automatically extracted and saved in a new file.

- Shows list of created files. Just double click a text file to open.

Regards,

Nikita Kobrin

[ This Message was edited by: Nikita Kobrin on 2003-03-28 13:30]

Kay Fisher (X)
Kay Fisher (X)
German to English
+ ...
Try an OCR program Mar 28, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-28 05:27, AB_Seattle wrote:

I have downloaded 3 or 4 demo versions of this software (gemini, convertzone, PDF2TXT, and a couple others, I can\'t remember them all) but none of them have converted my Spanish language PDF\'s to text. Is it the language, or because it\'s a trial version??? I\'m ready to buy, after researching I\'d like to go with Gemini Solo but even that didn\'t extract the Spanish text from the doc... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-28 05:27, AB_Seattle wrote:

A little confused,

April

My OCR Program will also covert .pdf files into text and it works in several languages (I only work in German and English so I\'m not sure if Spanish is one of them). The program is Fine Reader from ABBYY. It doesn\'t matter whether or not the .pdf file is protected because the program treats the file as an image. It\'s not cheap, but it works. More info here:

http://www.abbyy.com/ocr_products.asp?param=1615Collapse

April Berumen
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WOW Thanks everyone! Mar 28, 2003

Yes, the two I have been looking at are Abbyy and Gemini, I will definitely check Midas and I\'m going with the OCR software, also, as a back up or other alternative...just sooooooo tired of getting translations as PDF\'s!!!!!

Thanks again everyone!

April

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:46
German to English
+ ...
PDF to RTF Mar 28, 2003

Yes, PDF is sometimes a drag, but sometimes it helps as well. My customer has files in DTP formats that I cannot read, as the software itself is quite expensive. I found out that the full version of ACROBAT allows to save PDF files as RTF files, which you can process as usual. Until then I was usuing OMNIPAGE 12.0 OCR for conversion, but this is much more convenient.

For PDF I also use the DocuCom PDF Driver, which works like an additional printer that prints to ad PDF file.
... See more
Yes, PDF is sometimes a drag, but sometimes it helps as well. My customer has files in DTP formats that I cannot read, as the software itself is quite expensive. I found out that the full version of ACROBAT allows to save PDF files as RTF files, which you can process as usual. Until then I was usuing OMNIPAGE 12.0 OCR for conversion, but this is much more convenient.

For PDF I also use the DocuCom PDF Driver, which works like an additional printer that prints to ad PDF file. Works like a charm and is relatively cheap.

[ This Message was edited by: JE-Access on 2003-03-28 21:27]
Collapse

April Berumen
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I ended up... Apr 1, 2003

...getting myself a top of the line scanner with OCR software, and OmniPage software....**whew**...I feel so much better now

Thanks again everyone,

April

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF to Text software

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »