TRADOS - what to do w/ index files, tmx file? (Urgent)
Thread poster: Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Mar 3, 2003

Hi Everyone,

Here\'s the thing. I have bought and loaded Trados 5.5. My client has sent me the source files and the other files: the index files and a tmx file. What I don\'t understnad is how to make their terminology mine.

1) What do I do with the index files?

2) what do I do with the tmx?

3) I have opened the source text and see how to open/get and close.

Any help would be much appreciated. If I could call you it would be even be
... See more
Hi Everyone,

Here\'s the thing. I have bought and loaded Trados 5.5. My client has sent me the source files and the other files: the index files and a tmx file. What I don\'t understnad is how to make their terminology mine.

1) What do I do with the index files?

2) what do I do with the tmx?

3) I have opened the source text and see how to open/get and close.

Any help would be much appreciated. If I could call you it would be even better.

In exchange for 1,000 words of translation for free from Spanish, Portuguese or French to English.

Thanx

Collapse

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification to previous posting Mar 3, 2003

In other words, I have everything loaded in terms of functionality, but don\'t know how to get the Trados memory file to work with the open document.

Thanx

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:41
English to German
+ ...
Which index files? Mar 3, 2003

Hi Jane,

Could you please specify which index files you received (I\'m interested in the file extensions in particular)?

As far as TMX is concerned, that\'s a uniform export/import format: create a new (empty) translation memory and import the TMX file. When setting up the TM, make sure that the language pair matches the languages in the TMX file exactly.

What you need to distinguish are the concepts of a termbase on the on
... See more
Hi Jane,

Could you please specify which index files you received (I\'m interested in the file extensions in particular)?

As far as TMX is concerned, that\'s a uniform export/import format: create a new (empty) translation memory and import the TMX file. When setting up the TM, make sure that the language pair matches the languages in the TMX file exactly.

What you need to distinguish are the concepts of a termbase on the one hand, and a translation memory on the other.

Termbase => terminology => used with MultiTerm

Translation memory => segments/sentences => used with Workbench

BTW don\'t get tangled up in \'Workspace\' - the individual components work on their own. The only exception would be if your client had sent a \"package\" (but given the TMX export, that seems unlikely).

HTH - Ralf
Collapse

Adriana Esposito
Adriana Esposito  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:41
Member (2014)
English to Italian
+ ...
I am not sure I understand your problem Mar 3, 2003

I can just try. You open Winword with the source document, you open Trados with the memory your customer sent you. Then you open the first segment (i.e. the first sentence till the fullstop and/or the title). To open it you can use the command Open or the red ( icon. At this point you translate the sentence in the target field (light yellow background). Then you confirm the translation with Alt + Num +. The next translatable segment opens.

Useful options

Concordance - Highl
... See more
I can just try. You open Winword with the source document, you open Trados with the memory your customer sent you. Then you open the first segment (i.e. the first sentence till the fullstop and/or the title). To open it you can use the command Open or the red ( icon. At this point you translate the sentence in the target field (light yellow background). Then you confirm the translation with Alt + Num +. The next translatable segment opens.

Useful options

Concordance - Highlight a source term and hit the Concordance icon (four arrows with a red cross on them) and you will see if in the memory there are segements containing that word and how it was translated.

This is the basic, I guess. Anyway Trados has a very useful on-line help, that\'s how I started.

Is this what you wanted to know?

Cheers

adriana
Collapse

Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:41
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Have you tried reorganizing the TM? Mar 3, 2003

I\'m not entirely sure that I understand your question; I just checked my Trados folders (including the ones containing MultiTerm) and I do not have a single tmx file on my entire system. The 5 Trados TM files are: *.iix, *.mdf, *.mtf, *.mwf, and *.tmw (*.tmw is the database itself).

The index files and the .tmw file must all be in the same directory.

The only thing I can think of that might help is to re-organize the open TM. I had that happen recently
... See more
I\'m not entirely sure that I understand your question; I just checked my Trados folders (including the ones containing MultiTerm) and I do not have a single tmx file on my entire system. The 5 Trados TM files are: *.iix, *.mdf, *.mtf, *.mwf, and *.tmw (*.tmw is the database itself).

The index files and the .tmw file must all be in the same directory.

The only thing I can think of that might help is to re-organize the open TM. I had that happen recently when a TM I had copied back from my laptop wouldn\'t show any concordances or matches (which I knew were in the TM). A quick reorganize did the trick.

IMHO, it would be best if you had your client export their TM into a text file. You could then simply create a new TM and import the text file. Or, if you can open the TM, try to export the TM yourself and set up a new TM, see if you can work with that.

Collapse

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Create a TM and then Import Mar 3, 2003

Hi:

Trados provides two formats for exporting a TM. One, the simplest, is in text format (tm.txt) the other, is in tmx format. You need to create a memory and then import the file.

HIH

Ricardo Martinez de la Torre

Santiago, Chile

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS - what to do w/ index files, tmx file? (Urgent)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »