Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:38
Flemish to English
+ ...
Feb 12, 2003

In MsOffice(Word) speech-recognition works for English and Japanese. Can this tool also be used for other languages like Spanish, French, German, Russian... To what extend can speech-recognition be combined with CAT-tools?

Bruno Piatti
Bruno Piatti  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:38
English to Italian
Very well Feb 12, 2003

Office, CAT tools and speech recognition software integrate very well, even if, obviously, it depends on what type of speech rec tool you use.

My language combination is ENG>ITA and very often I use Word+Trados+Dragon (Word in Italian, Trados in English and Dragon in Italian). You have to find the speech rec software with support for the language you use. For example, I don\'t know if there\'s a Russian version of Dragon.

Anyway, this \'triad\' can\'t be used in every situati
... See more
Office, CAT tools and speech recognition software integrate very well, even if, obviously, it depends on what type of speech rec tool you use.

My language combination is ENG>ITA and very often I use Word+Trados+Dragon (Word in Italian, Trados in English and Dragon in Italian). You have to find the speech rec software with support for the language you use. For example, I don\'t know if there\'s a Russian version of Dragon.

Anyway, this \'triad\' can\'t be used in every situation: I mean, if you don\'t have a repetitive text, Trados will be useless; if you don\'t know very well the topic, the speech rec SW will be useless.

Ciao

Bruno

Collapse

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:38
Danish to English
+ ...
CAT tools and DragonDictate Feb 12, 2003

With Dragon Naturally Speaking you will find only 4 or 5 languages supported, but it is possible to enter your own words into a Dragon vocabulary editor by typing the printed form of the word and enter the \"spoken\" or \"sounds-like\" form of the word into the editor. Then, when you speak the word you want in that particular language, the written form of the word should appear. This is a long and tedious process but should over time pay off. Just remember to back up or copy your user profile in... See more
With Dragon Naturally Speaking you will find only 4 or 5 languages supported, but it is possible to enter your own words into a Dragon vocabulary editor by typing the printed form of the word and enter the \"spoken\" or \"sounds-like\" form of the word into the editor. Then, when you speak the word you want in that particular language, the written form of the word should appear. This is a long and tedious process but should over time pay off. Just remember to back up or copy your user profile into a separate area on a regular basis. Dragon Naturally Speaking is marketed by ScanSoft. I am using Dragon Dictate 6.1 and a version 7 is supposed to be on the market this year.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A combination of speech recoginiton, CAT-tools and MsOffice

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »