Virus being transmitted by Skype: 'oops, i meant to send this to someone else...'
Thread poster: Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:35
Polish to English
+ ...
Sep 10, 2007

Beware! There's a virus being transmitted by Skype. Here's an excerpt from one of the Skype forums:
-----------------------------------
I should know better, but I was IM'd via Skype by a friend suggesting I check out an .scr link

Then it cleverly says 'oops, i meant to send this to someone else, please don't look at this'

Or something to that effect. Well, I stupidly did, and fell for it.

Now, it promptly locks up your Skype, (probably sends th
... See more
Beware! There's a virus being transmitted by Skype. Here's an excerpt from one of the Skype forums:
-----------------------------------
I should know better, but I was IM'd via Skype by a friend suggesting I check out an .scr link

Then it cleverly says 'oops, i meant to send this to someone else, please don't look at this'

Or something to that effect. Well, I stupidly did, and fell for it.

Now, it promptly locks up your Skype, (probably sends the message to all your contacts) .. and also locks out msconfig and regedit, and even some websites / anti-virus software.
-------------------------------------

It does send messages to all the contacts. I've received it twice.

The Skype forum also has some discussion about how to clean-up.

Caryl

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-09-10 14:36]
Collapse

Caryl Swift
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Correct forum? Sep 10, 2007

If this would be better on a differemt forum, please move it. Thank you very much!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The forum is OK Sep 10, 2007

And please - this is not Skype's fault, if the user does what he never should do. Looking after unknown and not trusted links is as would you open your door to the thieves and shout "come in".

Caryl Swift
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trusted and untrusted Sep 10, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

And please - this is not Skype's fault, if the user does what he never should do. Looking after unknown and not trusted links is as would you open your door to the thieves and shout "come in".

Of course, you're right, Jerzy. The problem is that the virus is apparantly being sent by trusted contacts. I received it twice - both times apparantly from agencies. I've been talking to one of them. They had opened the link, since it came from a very good friend. And it immediately started sending itself to all their contacts. So, even if it comes from a contact, beware. Especially if that contact suddenly has a 'Do Nor Disturb' sign displayed as that seems to also be part of the effect.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Paranoia rulez Sep 10, 2007

Any suspicious mail, message or whatever, even from the most trusted person gets trashed immediately. I can always call them back and ask whether they sent something or not.

Better safe than sorry.

Pawel Skalinski

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Same here Sep 10, 2007

Just got a suspicious link from a trusted contact, with the same message something like "oops, not for you - don't click". Good thing I read about this on here first .... so I did not click the link (I probably wouldn't have anyhow, but this is my first experience with Skype viruses ...)

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Double "Oops" ??? Sep 10, 2007

Caryl Swift wrote:

I know that it's difficult to think logically when you are taken by surprise (and I can't guarantee that I would have spotted this if I received the Skype message - but I don't Skype).

But if the sender of the message realised "oops, I meant to send this to someone else", why did he/she send the message to you anyway?

Caryl Swift
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why 'oops'? Sep 10, 2007

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

Caryl Swift wrote:

I know that it's difficult to think logically when you are taken by surprise (and I can't guarantee that I would have spotted this if I received the Skype message - but I don't Skype).

But if the sender of the message realised "oops, I meant to send this to someone else", why did he/she send the message to you anyway?

Dear Victor,

I think there's a misunderstanding here. The whole 'oops thing - everything between the two broken lines ------------ is what I copied from the Skype forum and pasted in above as a description of what the message looks like, more or less. The thing is that it's not your contact who's sending it. Not consciously. anyway. The virus has sent itself to all that person's contacts.

Anyway, luckily, I didn't succumb to the temptation. And it is a worrying comminque as it suggests that one's photos have appeared on an erotic photo site. Who wouldn't want to check that out? So I thought I'd post a 'heads ups' here.

Who knows why the 'oops' is there? Who knows what makes such people tick?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virus being transmitted by Skype: 'oops, i meant to send this to someone else...'

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »