Mariam Osmann
Mariam Osmann
Egypt
Local time: 09:39
English to Arabic
+ ...
Aug 15, 2007

any hope for recovery?
I've tried a couple of software . Very old files are displayed but not the ones deleted today.

I shift deleted them while sending them via messenger. I found them no where on both computers.

I do appreciate your help and tips.

TIA

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Most likely they are gone Aug 15, 2007

But you could try a file recovery tool (Semantic, Norton, etc.).

Your chances of recovering the files decrease rapidly with the number of other files you edit or save after you delete the files. When you delete a file permanently, Windows does not actually delete the file from disk immediately, but instead only deletes the directory information that tells the operating system where the data for the file is stored on disk. After the directory information is deleted, any other applica
... See more
But you could try a file recovery tool (Semantic, Norton, etc.).

Your chances of recovering the files decrease rapidly with the number of other files you edit or save after you delete the files. When you delete a file permanently, Windows does not actually delete the file from disk immediately, but instead only deletes the directory information that tells the operating system where the data for the file is stored on disk. After the directory information is deleted, any other application can use the disk space where the file data is stored. When this happens, part or all of the original file is overwritten and is thus unrecoverable.

From Windows Help:

SHIFT+DELETE: Delete selected item permanently without placing the item in the Recycle Bin.

[Edited at 2007-08-15 23:19]
Collapse

Mariam Osmann
Mariam Osmann
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thnx Ken Aug 15, 2007

is the disk space usage done at random? I mean 'being the most recent deleted' files doesn't delay the space usage??.... or perhaps the contrary?? as I've found files deleted months ago but none of the ones deleted today

Dimitra Karamperi
Dimitra Karamperi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:39
English to Greek
+ ...
Another solution... Aug 16, 2007

This may work.
Windows keep a copy of all recent files.
Firstly, you have to make visible all hidden files.
Open "My Computer". Go to Tools>Folder Options>View (tab in the middle) and choose "Display hidden files". I use Greek Windows XP and the options may not be the same as mentionned above.
After you do this, go to the disk where Windows are installed (I assume C: ). Select Documents and Settings>(Name of the PC user)>Recent Documents. In the folder "Recent Documents"
... See more
This may work.
Windows keep a copy of all recent files.
Firstly, you have to make visible all hidden files.
Open "My Computer". Go to Tools>Folder Options>View (tab in the middle) and choose "Display hidden files". I use Greek Windows XP and the options may not be the same as mentionned above.
After you do this, go to the disk where Windows are installed (I assume C: ). Select Documents and Settings>(Name of the PC user)>Recent Documents. In the folder "Recent Documents" you will find too many files you thought you had deleted for good
After you finish, don't forget to make again invisible all hidden files.
Good luck,
Dimitra

[Edited at 2007-08-16 05:28]

[Edited at 2007-08-16 15:35]
Collapse

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
further comments Aug 16, 2007

1. Yes, disk space is effectively used at random. Of courrse it's not truly random, since everything a computer does, barring hardware faults, is deterministic, but it's unpredicatable to the user. AFAIK Windows does not try to use the 'oldest' unused space first; as far as it is concerned, anything permanently deleted is no longer needed.

2. IMO the Recent Documents folder contains only aliases ('shortcuts' in Windows terminology), which are pointers to the documents instead of co
... See more
1. Yes, disk space is effectively used at random. Of courrse it's not truly random, since everything a computer does, barring hardware faults, is deterministic, but it's unpredicatable to the user. AFAIK Windows does not try to use the 'oldest' unused space first; as far as it is concerned, anything permanently deleted is no longer needed.

2. IMO the Recent Documents folder contains only aliases ('shortcuts' in Windows terminology), which are pointers to the documents instead of copies of the documents.
Collapse

Mariam Osmann
Mariam Osmann
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes only shortcuts Aug 16, 2007

But I have found some uploaded subfiles contained in the zipped files uploaded on my mail. [as I used to send the files to 'myself' at the end of the day before leaving and download them when I'm back home]

But for the others I guess they've gone for good!

Thanks Dimitra and Ken!

Ahmet Murati
Ahmet Murati  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Albanian
+ ...
in this case Aug 16, 2007

the files are deleted so there is no way to find them in ordinary way.

The best solution is to get any Data Recorvery software tool and to recover them from the left bytes on the haddisk.

There is good possibility to recover them fully only in case that there is no data overwritten in that place wehre those two files were.

I us to have this cases but using a program so called "Nucleus Kernel NTFS Data Recovery" I managed to recover lot of data. Even once fr
... See more
the files are deleted so there is no way to find them in ordinary way.

The best solution is to get any Data Recorvery software tool and to recover them from the left bytes on the haddisk.

There is good possibility to recover them fully only in case that there is no data overwritten in that place wehre those two files were.

I us to have this cases but using a program so called "Nucleus Kernel NTFS Data Recovery" I managed to recover lot of data. Even once from an USB flash drive.
Collapse

Mariam Osmann
Mariam Osmann
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Amurati! Aug 16, 2007

aumrati= my beautiful girl in colloquial Egyptian Arabic

I've tried 3 recovery software so far including the kernel.
Older files are displayed but for the lost ones ... no way!

Thanks amura!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shift deleting 2 zipped files

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »