casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:54
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I see Aug 14, 2007

Claudia Krysztofiak wrote:

casey wrote:
What I actually meant was could something I installed have modified the BIOS without me knowing it? I know that I have not modified it manually, so unless something I installed modified it without me knowing it, then it should still have the factory default settings.

I just gave an example that it is possible for a program to change your Bios, and if there are programs that can do it, then such code can also be built into other programs perhaps even harmful ones.

But as IT pro Benjamin put it, it seems to be much more likely that your computer changed itself for no reason at all just because it felt like it, than that any program might have included some code that could have corrupted your BIOS. I absolutely agree, that this is indeed inexplicable by sheer reason.

It was I that misunderstood. I see what you meant now.

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I've got up-to-date anti-virus software Aug 14, 2007

ilovepuppy wrote:

virus, this is the first opinion appeared to me.
it is not the very first news, it happens frequently. and it is easy to handle a person's computer if his PC is not well protected with anti-virus software
why not restall your computer to make sure all the virus gone and set a complicated password?

I'm not going to reformat my computer on a whim. A virus should have some other negative effects besides automatically turning the computer on.

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'll stay out of this one.... Aug 14, 2007

Nicole Schnell wrote:

tectranslate wrote:

a computer is much like a woman in many ways and despite being a "logics machine" sometimes does things that are inexplicable by sheer reason.

What a cute excuse as most PCs were developed by men. You screw up and then blame us?

How convenient.

Not going to touch this one with a 10-foot stick.

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Virus Buster Aug 14, 2007

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Not all of them find all the viruses, so that you do not necessarily know if your computer is harbouring a virus.

I personally use Kaspersky at the moment and it is supposed to be very good. Some others are not so good.

Astrid

It's up-to-date.

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
By the way... Aug 14, 2007

...unplugging the Internet connection did not work. I guess I'll have to take a look at the BIOS....wish me luck!

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
BIOS was the culprit Aug 14, 2007

Thank you, everyone, for your help. I went into the BIOS settings and, lo and behold, "Wake on Alarm" was set to "enabled," and the alarm was set for...you guessed it: 23:55. I have no idea what enabled that setting (possibly a poltergeist as was suggested), but for now the problem has been solved.

Claudia Krysztofiak
Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:54
English to German
+ ...
I am happy ... Aug 14, 2007

... that you did not have to use a hammer.

Congratulations!

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
A hammer's out of the question... Aug 14, 2007

...but I've still got the number for the exorcist....

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Uh oh... Aug 14, 2007

First of all, I'm glad you and your computer are on the same page again.

However, did you say you use "Virus Buster"?

You may want to read up on this "Anti"virus tool.

I highly recommend you get a professional, reliable virus scanner such as Kaspersky.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Trend Micro? Aug 14, 2007

Oh, wait, is it actually Trend Micro PC-Cillin you're using?

This article says that it is marketed as "Virus Buster" in Japan.

The other one is a notorious spyware program.

However, the article also says that "Trend Micro scored somewhat poorly" in an independent test against other virus scanning software.

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, PC-Cillin Aug 14, 2007

tectranslate wrote:

Oh, wait, is it actually Trend Micro PC-Cillin you're using?

This article says that it is marketed as "Virus Buster" in Japan.

The other one is a notorious spyware program.

However, the article also says that "Trend Micro scored somewhat poorly" in an independent test against other virus scanning software.

Sorry. Yes, I'm in Japan, and PC-Cillin is marketed as "Virus Buster." It's the most popular anti-virus software here. (At least in stores.)

Claudia Krysztofiak
Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Kaspersky under Vista questionable Aug 14, 2007

tectranslate wrote:
I highly recommend you get a professional, reliable virus scanner such as Kaspersky.

I used Kaspersky, but they had a real big problem with Outlook 2007 under Vista. Kaspersky somehow frequently corrupted Outlook datafiles so they had to be checked on restart. They offered a hot fix that worked but the next version caused the same trouble.

So really test it on your system before you buy it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Computer turns on automatically at 23:54

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »