Jim Tucker wrote:

...make coffee too?

I haven't installed that software yet.

ilovepuppy
ilovepuppy
Local time: 05:27
Chinese to English
as i see Aug 13, 2007

virus, this is the first opinion appeared to me.
it is not the very first news, it happens frequently. and it is easy to handle a person's computer if his PC is not well protected with anti-virus software
why not restall your computer to make sure all the virus gone and set a complicated password?

Claudia Krysztofiak
Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:27
English to German
+ ...
If exorcism does not work ... Aug 13, 2007

you might try and have a look at your Pc's Bios.

Some find this rather handy:

Source: Automatic Start-up
Address :
I used to own a Dell in which the BIOS allowed you to set a time when the
system would turn itself on. I found this handy in the morning when I could
just walk into the office and have my computer all "warmed up" and ready for
action.

Others are annoyed:

Source: winXP automatic startup?
Addres
... See more

Address :
action.

Others are annoyed:

Address :
winXP automatic startup?
yea..whenever i shutdown my computer before midnight...it turns on at midnight. so i have to turn the actual power switch off everytime i turn off my computer b4 midnight. anyone one a solution?
Collapse

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:27
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I've never manually touched the BIOS settings Aug 13, 2007

Claudia Krysztofiak wrote:

Address :
action.

Others are annoyed:

Address :
winXP automatic startup?
yea..whenever i shutdown my computer before midnight...it turns on at midnight. so i have to turn the actual power switch off everytime i turn off my computer b4 midnight. anyone one a solution?

Could a program modify BIOS? I haven't ever touched it myself. I don't really want to risk hosing the computer, either. If programs can't modify it, then I don't need to look.

Claudia Krysztofiak
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Bios Editor Aug 13, 2007

casey wrote:
Could a program modify BIOS? I haven't ever touched it myself. I don't really want to risk hosing the computer, either. If programs can't modify it, then I don't need to look.

I guess so. For example:
Award BIOS Editor

But if you prefer not to look into the BIOS or have someone who knows what he/she is doing look into it for you, then maybe a power strip with a switch would be helpful - turn of the power strip after computer shutdown and your computer cannot start again. If it still does, go back to ghost busters (and let me know what they found, I'd really like to reduce my power costs ... )

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:27
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, I was not clear Aug 13, 2007

casey wrote:

I guess so. For example:
Award BIOS Editor

But if you prefer not to look into the BIOS or have someone who knows what he/she is doing look into it for you, then maybe a power strip with a switch would be helpful - turn of the power strip after computer shutdown and your computer cannot start again. If it still does, go back to ghost busters (and let me know what they found, I'd really like to reduce my power costs ... )

What I actually meant was could something I installed have modified the BIOS without me knowing it? I know that I have not modified it manually, so unless something I installed modified it without me knowing it, then it should still have the factory default settings.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Il computer è mobile... Aug 13, 2007

It is not likely that a software program (or a virus) has modified your BIOS settings and I believe you when you say that you didn't change them.

However, in my years as an IT pro I have learned that a computer is much like a woman in many ways and despite being a "logics machine" sometimes does things that are inexplicable by sheer reason. In my view, no error possibil
... See more
It is not likely that a software program (or a virus) has modified your BIOS settings and I believe you when you say that you didn't change them.

However, in my years as an IT pro I have learned that a computer is much like a woman in many ways and despite being a "logics machine" sometimes does things that are inexplicable by sheer reason. In my view, no error possibility is too remote to be discarded out of hand.

Therefore, you might want to check your BIOS settings anyway.

Don't be afraid of inadvertently changing something - you will be EXPLICITLY asked if you want to save your changes when you exit the BIOS setup screen. To be perfectly safe, I recommend you look at all the various BIOS settings, especially those related to "Power Management", and just turn off the computer using the switch when you're done (i.e. not use one of the "exit" options in the BIOS menu at all).

I think using a Windows program to modify BIOS settings actually comes with a higher risk than just going into the straightforward BIOS menu available on system startup.

HTH,
Benjamin

[Edited at 2007-08-13 14:15]
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:27
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Ahem. Aug 13, 2007

tectranslate wrote:

a computer is much like a woman in many ways and despite being a "logics machine" sometimes does things that are inexplicable by sheer reason.

What a cute excuse as most PCs were developed by men. You screw up and then blame us?

How convenient.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:27
Spanish
+ ...
Antivirus/Update Aug 13, 2007

Do you have an anti-virus / any other program that is set up to download an update or scan something at 23:54 everyday?

Claudia Krysztofiak
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I think I did get you right Aug 13, 2007

casey wrote:
What I actually meant was could something I installed have modified the BIOS without me knowing it? I know that I have not modified it manually, so unless something I installed modified it without me knowing it, then it should still have the factory default settings.

I just gave an example that it is possible for a program to change your Bios, and if there are programs that can do it, then such code can also be built into other programs perhaps even harmful ones.

But as IT pro Benjamin put it, it seems to be much more likely that your computer changed itself for no reason at all just because it felt like it, than that any program might have included some code that could have corrupted your BIOS. I absolutely agree, that this is indeed inexplicable by sheer reason.

Claudia Krysztofiak
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Well, male reason and logic ... Aug 13, 2007

Nicole Schnell wrote:

tectranslate wrote:

a computer is much like a woman in many ways and despite being a "logics machine" sometimes does things that are inexplicable by sheer reason.

What a cute excuse as most PCs were developed by men. You screw up and then blame us?

How convenient.

Well, Nicole, from what I learned in my many years as an IT pro, I often found that what some men call reason has nothing to do with a computer's or a program's logic. No wonder some do not get along so well: You cannot repair it with a hammer ... )

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Of course... Aug 13, 2007

Nicole Schnell wrote:

How convenient.

As you know, us men always have women on our mind, so that must be why we created the computer to the likeness of womankind. (Of course a "winking" smiley was not enough. I knew I'd get somebody's goat with this.)

My idea, expressed in a neutral way, was that however likely or unlikely it is, don't consider something impossible just because it appears illogical to you.

B

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:27
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Nyuk, nyuk.. Aug 13, 2007

I love Claudia's comment.

)

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Two sides to one story... Aug 13, 2007

Well, Nicole, from what I learned in my many years as an IT pro, I often found that what some men call reason has nothing to do with a computer's or a program's logic. No wonder some do not get along so well: You cannot repair it with a hammer ...

Yes, that's exactly what I mean - the computer just doesn't think like us sometimes.

And if it doesn't answer to reason, the hammer's coming out.

Naah. I haven't used a hammer on a computer yet, although I did have a mind to at several occasions.

B

P.S.: Wait, I do remember taking the hammer from my toolbox once and showing it to my unruly computer in a menacing way, shouting THIS IS WHAT YOU'RE GONNA GET IN A MINUTE! (did I ever mention I can be short-tempered at times?) Then I put it right back and grumblingly fixed the problem another way.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Which anti-virus software do you have, then? Aug 13, 2007

Not all of them find all the viruses, so that you do not necessarily know if your computer is harbouring a virus.

I personally use Kaspersky at the moment and it is supposed to be very good. Some others are not so good.

Astrid

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Computer turns on automatically at 23:54

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »