Thread poster: Textklick
Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:22
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Aug 11, 2007

I have an agency client that I work with, albeit occasionally.

About two years ago, I sent them a PPT and it would not open. The only solution turned out to be to send it from another I.P. address.

Two operating systems, one E-mail client and one ISP further down the line (XP, SP2 and switching mail to Thunderbird) there was a further issue this week, when the file opened after arrival, but did not display 5 of the 24 slides (nos. 1, 2, 3, 22 and 24: for academic intere
... See more
I have an agency client that I work with, albeit occasionally.

About two years ago, I sent them a PPT and it would not open. The only solution turned out to be to send it from another I.P. address.

Two operating systems, one E-mail client and one ISP further down the line (XP, SP2 and switching mail to Thunderbird) there was a further issue this week, when the file opened after arrival, but did not display 5 of the 24 slides (nos. 1, 2, 3, 22 and 24: for academic interest).

This problem has never happened elsewhere and boy, have I had my share of PPTs, ranging from the "sublime "to the "less-sublime."

The final solution to alleviate their desperation was to print the PPT to PDF, including the notes pages (otherwise the slides overlap at the edges). Then scan the PDF with ABBYY and they had a Word doc. that they could cut and paste from. Worked a treat.

I'm just wondering whether anyone else has ever had similar experiences with PPT or is this unique? Logic somehow tells me that the problem is at their end.

When there is time to breathe next week, I shall compare notes with them on O/S, PPT version etc.

Cheers
Chris
Collapse

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 23:22
English
Probably not ISP Aug 11, 2007

I cannot even fathom a technical reason -- I am a geek -- why some slides would open and some would not. I would try first doing a Save As (keeping the same name is okay) and then sending a zipped (compressed) file.

Textklick
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Ah - I wonder? Aug 11, 2007

tlmurray wrote:

I would try first doing a Save As (keeping the same name is okay)

...Did that, with SDLX changing the name to its usual "Filename_EN-UK.ppt". But it could be a point?

The file name contained an "Umläut" and was no problem for me to open. But the PM said she had to rename it first to open and assumed that was because of the Umlaut.

...and then sending a zipped (compressed) file.

We tried sending it (Win)zipped and unzipped (by mail and by Skype).

Chris

[Edited at 2007-08-11 13:15]

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:22
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Certainly not the ISP or IP address Aug 11, 2007

Well, I have a degree in Computer Sciences and I can tell you that if you tried all the options you did then it was certainly NOT your ISP.

It is not the IP address either, as the IP address has nothing to do with how information is sent, only to WHERE it is sent to. BTW, the IP address that your ISP provides is usually dynamic, meaning that they assign you a new IP address every time you connect to their server (if dial-up) or reset the ADSL line.

Possible causes for t
... See more
Well, I have a degree in Computer Sciences and I can tell you that if you tried all the options you did then it was certainly NOT your ISP.

It is not the IP address either, as the IP address has nothing to do with how information is sent, only to WHERE it is sent to. BTW, the IP address that your ISP provides is usually dynamic, meaning that they assign you a new IP address every time you connect to their server (if dial-up) or reset the ADSL line.

Possible causes for this problem:

a) The receiving mail server corrupts the messages. Perhaps it does not receive correctly binary files. I had this issue when I set up my web hosting company and tested the mail server. Simply a matter of bad configuration.

b) THEIR e-mail program is corrupted and does not receive correctly binary files.

c) Your PPT or your customer's PPT are corrupted, possibly the second. It has not occured to me with Powerpoint, but I once had similar problems with Excel. Once I reínstalled Excel the problem disappeared.

d) Your PPT includes "exotic" characters. I once had problems opening a Presentation that included Korean characters in the name - once renamed it worked OK. Note that if you do have this problem then you should rename the WHOLE file name, not only the potentially offending characters, as there may be "hidden" characters. This should not be problematic with the Occidental character set (LATIN-1, which includes German), though.

In these cases, the best solution is the one that tlmurray has proposed, to ZIP the powerpoint and send it like that- If the transmission or receiving e-mail program is wrong, a CRC (Cyclic redundancy check) error will be reported when unzipping the file. If it unzips correctly, then one of the two Powerpoint installations is incorrect.

BTW, I do not know whether you are aware that you could have done another solution: You could have embedded the PPT slides also in Word....

[Editado a las 2007-08-11 13:39]
Collapse

Textklick
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks Ramon Aug 11, 2007

BTW, I do not know whether you are aware that you could have done another solution: You could have embedded the PPT slides also in Word....

[Editado a las 2007-08-11 13:39]

Those are all possibilities.

I thought about the paste to Word option first, but there were so many different test boxes across those 24 slides that I went for the >PDF>Abbyy procedure described above and was delighted how well and painlessly it worked. Abbyy didn't show all the images, but I expect I could have told it how to (new [and keen] user). Main thing is that it picked up all of the text.

Cheers

C

Ramon Somoza
Spain
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
No, not exactly like that.... Aug 11, 2007

Textklick wrote:
I thought about the paste to Word option first, but there were so many different test boxes across those 24 slides that I went for the >PDF>Abbyy procedure described above and was delighted how well and painlessly it worked. Abbyy didn't show all the images, but I expect I could have told it how to (new [and keen] user). Main thing is that it picked up all of the text.

I was not meaning to copy across the different boxes one by one, but the individual (complete) slides.

You have actually several possibilities to do this:

a) Open Word & Powerpoint and drag from the multiple-slide view the slides one-by one- across to Word. It embeds the slide nicely into the Word document.

b) Insert the Powerpoint slide one by one as an object (insert/object menu)

b) Select all objects in a slide with Ctrl-E, group them and paste them into Word.

This might help out on some other occasion.

Cheers,
Ramon

Textklick
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks Ramon! Aug 11, 2007

Ramon Somoza wrote:

a) Open Word & Powerpoint and drag from the multiple-slide view the slides one-by one- across to Word. It embeds the slide nicely into the Word document.

b) Insert the Powerpoint slide one by one as an object (insert/object menu)

b) Select all objects in a slide with Ctrl-E, group them and paste them into Word.

This might help out on some other occasion.

The learning process continues

I should have known that.

Cheers
Chris

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
I had this too Aug 11, 2007

In one big PPT file (about 100 pages) there were five blank slides, randomly dissiminated in the file. The file had been sent to me on CD-Rom, and the original was OK. The client sent me those five pages separately, I translated them separately and then recomposed a total file. There were no exotic characters other than French, it was a normal file except the font, a Mac one (Arial Unicode MS). Maybe this is one of those Mac-PC incompatibility bugs or the copying process in itself.

[Bijge
... See more
In one big PPT file (about 100 pages) there were five blank slides, randomly dissiminated in the file. The file had been sent to me on CD-Rom, and the original was OK. The client sent me those five pages separately, I translated them separately and then recomposed a total file. There were no exotic characters other than French, it was a normal file except the font, a Mac one (Arial Unicode MS). Maybe this is one of those Mac-PC incompatibility bugs or the copying process in itself.

[Bijgewerkt op 2007-08-11 16:26]
Collapse

Ramon Somoza
Spain
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
very likely Aug 11, 2007

NMR wrote:

I suspect that this was also the cause in the PPT with the Korean name that caused me trouble - characters of Asian languages are stored with two bytes, and some of those do not correspond to any of the standard ASCII codes used for letters and/or numbers - so it is possible that such characters are interpreted by Powerpoint as some kind of control codes and therefore messes up part of the file, or perhaps even the whole file...

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Treating the symptoms Aug 11, 2007

You could save the PPT to OpenOffice.org. and back. Worth a try, at least.

Marc

Brie Vernier
Brie Vernier  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Hidden pages? Aug 12, 2007

Hi Chris,

This may seem a silly question, but did you check to make sure the pages weren't marked as hidden? Then you would be able to see them on the screen, but they simply wouldn't be printed out, and there is probably also an option to have them not display on the screen. Otherwise, the whole affair sounds highly suspicious ...

Should this ever happen again, you might also try saving the problematic pages individually and sending them either one by one or all zipped
... See more
Hi Chris,

This may seem a silly question, but did you check to make sure the pages weren't marked as hidden? Then you would be able to see them on the screen, but they simply wouldn't be printed out, and there is probably also an option to have them not display on the screen. Otherwise, the whole affair sounds highly suspicious ...

Should this ever happen again, you might also try saving the problematic pages individually and sending them either one by one or all zipped together and see what happens.

Brie
Collapse

Textklick
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Logical idea Aug 12, 2007

Marc P wrote:

You could save the PPT to OpenOffice.org. and back. Worth a try, at least.

Marc

Thanks Marc.

That little "adieu Gates, bonjour Torvalds" concept embedded at the back of my head goes "Ding" once again.

Textklick
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
No, slides not hidden Aug 12, 2007

Brie Vernier wrote:

Hi Chris,

Thanks Brie

That was not the case. And it is not a silly question. Remember, people browse through these pages looking for solutions.

Should this ever happen again, you might also try saving the problematic pages individually and sending them either one by one or all zipped together and see what happens.

Should this ever happen again, I shall think about being so frightfully nice and helpful. The file was delivered as requested at 08:25 for reviewing and I called to check that it had arrived. I was informed about this issue at around 16:30!:roll:

Chris

[Edited at 2007-08-12 11:32]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powerpoint not (or partially) opening after delivery

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »