Evi Wollinger
Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:14
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 1, 2007

I am preparing for an international move and although I am selling most of my things I have decided to "bring" my computer.

The company sounds, like they will take good care of it, it is expensive, of course, but still cheaper than buying a new PC.
I am more worried about all my software, for which I have no CD's than the actual machine, when it comes to shipping.
I will not purchase insurance for shipping, because I would loose my software in the case something happened
... See more
I am preparing for an international move and although I am selling most of my things I have decided to "bring" my computer.

The company sounds, like they will take good care of it, it is expensive, of course, but still cheaper than buying a new PC.
I am more worried about all my software, for which I have no CD's than the actual machine, when it comes to shipping.
I will not purchase insurance for shipping, because I would loose my software in the case something happened to my computer - and my programs cannot be insured. I don't have time to gather all my receipts and all that.
I would like to make some kind of backup of my entire harddisc, if that is possible. I heard of Norton Ghost (can I mention brand names here?), does anybody know, what would be the best way to go about preserving what is on my harddisc, or if there is a way?
I am not usually this inept, but with so many things to do for the upcoming move I need all the help I can get...
I would be grateful for any advice!

Evi
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:14
Flemish to English
+ ...
Make a clone Aug 1, 2007

With Acronis True Image 10 or with Norton Ghost.
However, if you have installed the "Is this genuine"-tools from Microsoft, Norton Ghost makes a clone, but the copy shuts itself down.

Yiannis Markomanolakis
Yiannis Markomanolakis
Greece
Local time: 04:14
English to Greek
Acronis Aug 1, 2007

Go to http://eu.acronis.com/enterprise/download/, get a demo version and clone your disk / partitions.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes, make an image! Aug 1, 2007

I have recently restored my laptop, which had some serious problems, with Acronis. Within a very short time, I had back all my programs together with my own stuff - documents, mails, bookmarks, settings and so on - of course. Whoever has ever formatted his hard disk knows that this means an enormous time saving, not to speak of all the rest

Norton Ghost works in the same way, but I never have used it.

... See more
I have recently restored my laptop, which had some serious problems, with Acronis. Within a very short time, I had back all my programs together with my own stuff - documents, mails, bookmarks, settings and so on - of course. Whoever has ever formatted his hard disk knows that this means an enormous time saving, not to speak of all the rest

Norton Ghost works in the same way, but I never have used it.

Hoping you won't need it, however, in this occasion, but I highly recommend one of these programs anyway!

Good luck!

[Bearbeitet am 2007-08-01 15:30]
Collapse

Evi Wollinger
Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 1, 2007

I had heard that there can be problems with Norton Ghost and wasn't really sure what it can do. Between work and packing I wasn't going to find out, either...
I looked at the Acronis website - looks promising, thank you for the link and the answers!
Evi

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 04:14
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Take a Look at Mozy, too Aug 1, 2007

I can recommend a free online file backup service that I have been using called Mozy (www.mozy.com). You get 2 GB of free backup space. There is no setup fee, no credit cards, no payment and no account expiration.

Mozy is a secure and automatic remote backup service for any PC. It is very simple to install and configure. No external hard drive, CD's or DVD's are needed. All you need is a broadband I
... See more
I can recommend a free online file backup service that I have been using called Mozy (www.mozy.com). You get 2 GB of free backup space. There is no setup fee, no credit cards, no payment and no account expiration.

Mozy is a secure and automatic remote backup service for any PC. It is very simple to install and configure. No external hard drive, CD's or DVD's are needed. All you need is a broadband Internet connection.

You start by creating a Mozy user account which will allow you to download Mozy software and back up your data. Next, you install Mozy on your computer. Mozy will then perform backups automatically in the background at a specific time and at specific intervals (daily or weekly).

Your backup files are encrypted using 448-bit Blowfish encryption, and stored in a secure and remote location that is only accessible to you - from anywhere in the world. You have the option of using a Mozy key, or your own private key to encrypt your data.

You can get an extra 256 MB just by entering my referral code C5KREM during the registration process. This code will get you a total of 2,256 MB (or roughly 2.2 GB) free backup space. The good news is that I also get an extra 256 MB after you perform a backup with Mozy.

Kind Regards,
Atil
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Backing up of entire harddisc

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »