Martina Keskintepe
Martina Keskintepe  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:46
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 25, 2003

Unfortunately I am not computer literate enough to get my photo uploaded. I have a scanner but the format of the photo (a standard passport photo) seems to be not right. Could anyone please explain in a very simple way what JPG, JPEG of GIF files mean?

TIA

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:46
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
JPEG/GIF Jan 25, 2003

JPG/JPEG is a format for saving graphics in very compresed form and with keeping the orignal colour range.

GIF is a simple graphics format with only 256 colours, very good for Internet usage, because it generates small graphic files, that can be vieved quickly.

JPG is more complex.

But if you are trying to upload a photo to ProZ, there is a restriction in the resolution of your photo. It cannot be larger, and the right resolution is stated somwhere within
... See more
JPG/JPEG is a format for saving graphics in very compresed form and with keeping the orignal colour range.

GIF is a simple graphics format with only 256 colours, very good for Internet usage, because it generates small graphic files, that can be vieved quickly.

JPG is more complex.

But if you are trying to upload a photo to ProZ, there is a restriction in the resolution of your photo. It cannot be larger, and the right resolution is stated somwhere within the uploading proces.

You can simply open any scanned photo of you (jpeg/gif, as ProZ accepts both) in Corel PhotoPaint for example and then rescale it to the right measure.

Jerzy
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I can help :) Jan 25, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-25 20:16, Melek wrote:

I have a scanner but the format of the photo (a standard passport photo) seems to be not right.

just send me your photo to and I\'ll return to you in uploadable format and size. It will be 30 second effort to me and will take much less time than explaining here JPG resolution issues ))
[addsig]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:46
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi, Melek Jan 25, 2003

After having scanned your picture, go to the menu File --> SaveAs and choose JPEG or GIF format from the dropout menu. I don\'t know what kind of scanner you have but this option is generally found there. Please post any feedback in case you have further problems.

Martina Keskintepe
Martina Keskintepe  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone! Jan 26, 2003

Thanks for all your explanations and proposals. I think I am going to try this on my own following Natalie\'s suggestions. I have already tried several times and I think it is going to work but I haven\'t succeeded yet. However, I can follow the scanner procedures as Natalie suggested.

I am a patient person, and will keep on trying!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

JPG, JPEG, GIF files

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »