What is the difference between Acronis and an external hard disk?
Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:52
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 27, 2007

I had the computer man here, and he said it was not sufficient to back up all my data onto an external hard disk, as I have been doing for the past year. He said my computer needed "Acronis" as well. Yesterday he came back and put this Acronis thing onto my computer, however afterwards he told me that it backed up nothing, but simply kept a photograph of which software is on my computer (which I have a typed list of, anyway). He said it does not save any data in the programs. Well, I can't see w... See more
I had the computer man here, and he said it was not sufficient to back up all my data onto an external hard disk, as I have been doing for the past year. He said my computer needed "Acronis" as well. Yesterday he came back and put this Acronis thing onto my computer, however afterwards he told me that it backed up nothing, but simply kept a photograph of which software is on my computer (which I have a typed list of, anyway). He said it does not save any data in the programs. Well, I can't see what use that is! He said it would save time, in the event of a new installation, however the only thing that is of importance to me is the individual data, namely the TMs, Multiterm termbases, the book-keeping data and the data in Translation Office 3000. I guess if it does not save any of these things, then I do not need it. Does anyone know anything about the subject?

Astrid
Collapse

Owen Davies
Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 19:52
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Acronis True Image? Jun 27, 2007

Hi Astrid,
You're computer guy may know his stuff, but he's not much of a sales man!

If the software he's installed is Acronis True Image (possibly Workstation), then you now have a very powerful pc/data restoration tool. And it is better than just backing up to an external drive - although you should keep doing that aswell.
Basically Acronis creates an "image" of a disk or part of a disk - I guess this is
... See more
Hi Astrid,
You're computer guy may know his stuff, but he's not much of a sales man!

If the software he's installed is Acronis True Image (possibly Workstation), then you now have a very powerful pc/data restoration tool. And it is better than just backing up to an external drive - although you should keep doing that aswell.
Basically Acronis creates an "image" of a disk or part of a disk - I guess this is what he meant when he said a picture. If you make a complete image of your hard drive, Acronis includes everything in the image, including the operating system. You can also use it to backup only specific files and folders (your TMs, databases, client info etc.).
The big thing here is its ability to create a total image of a hard drive. If your computer goes completely belly up you can restore everything since your last back up. You don't even have to use the same pc, you could install your entire operating system and data on another pc, or even on a virtual pc.

Restoring your entire system from scratch would take the best part of a day - if you're lucky. But if you have your entire PC backed up, you can be up and running again in minutes.

But of course you have to keep everything backed up, so schedule for regular backups at night, or whenever your pc is idle, and you'll always have an up-to-date image of your pc, just in case.

So it's a lot more than just a picture, and I would recommend it, could save you an enormous headache if your pc does crash.
HTH,
all the best
Owen
Collapse

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 06:52
English
Acronis Jun 27, 2007

Acronis is a product line (www.acronis.com). I would find out which Acronis product was installed ... there are several ... and see how that fits into your backup plan. And by the way, if your computer guy did not give you a software license, you may have pirated backup software.

In my opinion, backing up applications is useless, especially in Windows. If I have a hard drive crash in Windows, I wou
... See more
Acronis is a product line (www.acronis.com). I would find out which Acronis product was installed ... there are several ... and see how that fits into your backup plan. And by the way, if your computer guy did not give you a software license, you may have pirated backup software.

In my opinion, backing up applications is useless, especially in Windows. If I have a hard drive crash in Windows, I would use the time spent restoring to also completely reinstall my operating system and applications from scratch. Windows benefits a great deal from a fresh install anyway, as it [Windows] tends to degrade over time.

Using Acronis would (probably) give you a restore very quickly, but ... well, I still prefer to reinstall. Your mileage may vary.

[Edited at 2007-06-27 05:30]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
software and hardware issues Jun 27, 2007

Hi!
Acronis uses compression algorithms to store data. One could store directly to an external hard disc using acronis. It makes mirror images of the files on your computer, but it does not mean it would save the storage. You have to delete the files from your computer once you have taken a backup, you can always restore the files from a DVD disc or an external hard disc back to your comp. Backup tools use normally a flagging principle which is a logical address on on the hard disc of com
... See more
Hi!
Acronis uses compression algorithms to store data. One could store directly to an external hard disc using acronis. It makes mirror images of the files on your computer, but it does not mean it would save the storage. You have to delete the files from your computer once you have taken a backup, you can always restore the files from a DVD disc or an external hard disc back to your comp. Backup tools use normally a flagging principle which is a logical address on on the hard disc of computer and restore files back using that address as per choice to the same old location or a location of your choice. Acronis is not a bad tool, however I doubt whether your comp.wiz knows how these things function. Brandis
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Version of Acronis Jun 27, 2007

Thanks very much for the clarification.

It seems to be called "Acronis True Image Home 10.0". Well, I expect I may be glad of it some day.

One thing is still not clear to me. How far does it back up data? For example, do I still have to do Multiterm exports before my terminology can be saved?

Astrid

Fabrice -
Fabrice -
Local time: 03:52
English to French
+ ...
Acronis doesn't back up your data. Jun 28, 2007

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Thanks very much for the clarification.

It seems to be called "Acronis True Image Home 10.0". Well, I expect I may be glad of it some day.

One thing is still not clear to me. How far does it back up data? For example, do I still have to do Multiterm exports before my terminology can be saved?

Astrid

Unless Acronis have been setup to do an incremental image everyday (which I doubt), I'd say your data hasn't been backup at all.

Like mentioned before Acronis is usually used to make a copy of a fresh Windows install with all your software.
That way the day your PC start acting up, it allow to reinstall everything in 5 minutes instead of spending the day reinstalling everything manually.

So Acronis is a real time saver when come the time to reinstall windows, but as far as backing up your data it is useless unless it has been setup to do an incremental image everyday, and even then if the backups have been done to your hardrive and the drive fails, you will lose everything.

To preserve your data external backup is the safest way to go,
but by the sound of it your are backing up all your data manually, a better way would be to automate the process.

In my case all my translations, invoices, emails, etc are backup automatically, using Cobian Backup, to a 2gb usb key every night.
For further precaution I also backup all my data to a DVD every month or so.

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now I am even more confused about the subject of backup Jun 28, 2007

Thanks for taking the trouble to explain, Fabrice.

Oh my, the subject of backup is such a headache! Until I got the new computer, that has Windows Vista on it, all my data was being backed up every night to an external hard disk, with the exception that it was still necessary to export Multiterm termbases first, so that the resulting text file would then be backed up along with the rest of the data. As I did not always do this, I lost some terminology out of my termbases upon the d
... See more
Thanks for taking the trouble to explain, Fabrice.

Oh my, the subject of backup is such a headache! Until I got the new computer, that has Windows Vista on it, all my data was being backed up every night to an external hard disk, with the exception that it was still necessary to export Multiterm termbases first, so that the resulting text file would then be backed up along with the rest of the data. As I did not always do this, I lost some terminology out of my termbases upon the data being transferred to my new computer in May.

What I also did not realise is that the backup to the external hard disk was not working any more under Windows Vista. When the computer man was here two days ago, I noticed after he had gone that I had lost some data from (1) my accounting program; and (2) Translation Office 3000. I had lost only 5 days' data from the accounting program, but, in the case of Translation Office 3000, all the data back to the date in May when I got the new computer.

I wrote an e-mail to my computer guy. He is a new one, since the one who sold me the new computer and transferred my data has now moved out of the area. The guy wrote back and said he had noticed on this (third) occasion when he was here that my backup to the external hard disk was not working any more. He said he fixed it up again (I don't know the details) and it will now back up my data every Saturday night. However, Translation Office 3000 had not been backed up at all since the changeover to the new computer. The backup of the accounting program had worked initially, but an error, with a certain number, had occurred on 20th June and subsequently that had not been backing up any more either.

Anyhow, this is getting away from the topic of Acronis, but I am not pleased to hear that Acronis does not back up anything at all either. I hope the Saturday night backup he has fixed up will continue to work in future. I am getting really nervous about the topic of backup. In addition, it appears that I am stuck with always having to do Multiterm exports every night as well. I guess that is how Multiterm is made.

Astrid
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the difference between Acronis and an external hard disk?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »