Trouble opening and printing "jpeg" files.
Thread poster: Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:46
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
May 14, 2007

A client has sent me a job in four separate "jpeg" files. When I open them, the print is so tiny I can't read them. When I enlarge them I can read them, but when I try to print them, only the top left-hand corner of each page prints out.
My attempts to manipulate them have also resulted in changing the way my my "orange home page" displays itself, and I don't know how to get it back to normal. I finally got the client to send me the pages by fax, which I can just about read, but can any
... See more
A client has sent me a job in four separate "jpeg" files. When I open them, the print is so tiny I can't read them. When I enlarge them I can read them, but when I try to print them, only the top left-hand corner of each page prints out.
My attempts to manipulate them have also resulted in changing the way my my "orange home page" displays itself, and I don't know how to get it back to normal. I finally got the client to send me the pages by fax, which I can just about read, but can anyone advise me on how to print out jpegs properly in future and how to get my "orange home page" back to normal, please? I'm using Windows 98 version 2 and Word 2000.
Regards, Jenny.
Collapse

Riens Middelhof
Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:46
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
solution May 14, 2007

A "quick and dirty" solution is to import your image into Word like you would do any picture, and stretch it to appropriate size.

I really don´t understand your problem with the orange home page, sorry

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Orange May 14, 2007

I think that the problem with the Orange home page was linked to your internet provider. I had the same today, it has been restored.
As for your printer problem, I suggest you to do as Riens describes. It works very well.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Do you have any photography software on your computer? May 15, 2007

The way it prints suggests that the files have been compacted in some way but all the information is still there. For example, in Thunderbird, if you insert an image into the text, it is possible to reduce the width of an image, e.g. from 2000 to 700 pixels, to get it all in the window, but since the information is still all there, if you move the file into photographic software (I use Camedia, but the same is probably true of Photoshop and all the others), it will appear correctly. I have nev... See more
The way it prints suggests that the files have been compacted in some way but all the information is still there. For example, in Thunderbird, if you insert an image into the text, it is possible to reduce the width of an image, e.g. from 2000 to 700 pixels, to get it all in the window, but since the information is still all there, if you move the file into photographic software (I use Camedia, but the same is probably true of Photoshop and all the others), it will appear correctly. I have never experienced any problem with this myself, so I'm not sure that this has anything to do with it, but it might be worth a try.Collapse

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 11:46
English
Left corner, because it's so large May 15, 2007

Jenny Forbes wrote:

You have blown them up so large to read them, that when you print you get only the corner. (If you had a PostScript printer you could get all the pages.) You could open the files in an image editor, zoom in, and then chop up the result into individual prints.

I have no idea what you're talking about regarding the orange page.

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Download an image viewer May 15, 2007

Hi Jenny and all,

Download a free image viewer like Irfanview.

Then you get a preview option before printing, so you can zoom the image to be exactly the size of your paper.

You are also more free to use the magnifier option in Irfanview to read the text on the screen.

/Jan

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
IrfanView May 15, 2007

Jan Sundström wrote:

Download a free image viewer like Irfanview.

Yep, IrfanView rocks. Get it here.

B

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thank you, chaps May 15, 2007

Jenny Forbes wrote:

My attempts to manipulate them have also resulted in changing the way my my "orange home page" displays itself, and I don't know how to get it back to normal. I finally got the client to send me the pages by fax, which I can just about read, but can anyone advise me on how to print out jpegs properly in future and how to get my "orange home page" back to normal, please? I'm using Windows 98 version 2 and Word 2000.
Regards, Jenny.

Thank you, chaps all, for your helpful suggestions. I'll try downloading Irfanview, but in my heart I hope not to receive files in "jpeg" format too often!
I've tried saving the "jpegs" as Word, but it doesn't work. Probably due to my software's needing to be updated and my encyclopaedic ignorance of matters technical. What I really need is one of you to come and sit with me for an hour and show me what to do ... any offers? I'll make you a delicious curry ...
As to the changed Orange home page display, it still hasn't reverted to normal and I've no idea why. Most annoying. Perhaps it will revert equally mysteriously one day.
Kind regards,
Jenny.

Riens Middelhof
Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
If it wasn´t for that darn ocean... May 15, 2007

If it wasn´t for that darn ocean I´d come to collect that curry...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trouble opening and printing "jpeg" files.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »