Strange disappearance act: files downloaded from ftp site "empty"
Thread poster: Norbert Hermann
Norbert Hermann
Norbert Hermann  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:25
English to German
+ ...
Apr 6, 2007

I had to download several files from a ftp site. Some were a couple of hundred KB and others between 20 and 30 MB.

I saved them to a folder on my hard disk and noticed two showed just 0 KB and when opening them they were empty.

I downloaded them again and finally had the complete set on my hard disk and was able to view them. I copied them to a CD where I can still view them.

However, a few weeks later I wanted to re-organise some folders on my hard disk an
... See more
I had to download several files from a ftp site. Some were a couple of hundred KB and others between 20 and 30 MB.

I saved them to a folder on my hard disk and noticed two showed just 0 KB and when opening them they were empty.

I downloaded them again and finally had the complete set on my hard disk and was able to view them. I copied them to a CD where I can still view them.

However, a few weeks later I wanted to re-organise some folders on my hard disk and backup disk and noticed that all the files in this particular folder are now also empty. I can see their names, all have 0 KB, and when opening them I get just an empty page.

Could this have something to do with the anti-virus programme? (on this particular computer I have the unpopular Norton IS v. 2007).

I would be grateful for any ideas to prevent a possible reoccurrence.

Happy Easter

Norbert
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:25
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TEMP files by your FTP program? Apr 6, 2007

Hermann wrote:

It is possible that your FTP program don't download the files directly to the folder of your choice, but instead downloads it to some TEMP folder somewhere, and only at the very last minute replaces the dummy files in your folder with the downloaded files from the TEMP folder. I'm just speculating.

Norbert Hermann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Samuel - I did a search ... Apr 6, 2007

... to check whether these files might be lurking in some temporary folder but I couldn't find any.

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 12:25
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
zip files? Apr 6, 2007

Something similar happened to me once.

If you have a series of zip files created by slicing up a single very large file into several equal-sized zip files, all but one will look empty. You'll need the last file to open them all, and unless you have the last file in the series, all of them will look empty, even you can that their size is definitely more than zero.

Other than this, I have no idea what may cause this problem.

Csaba

Norbert Hermann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... no zip file Apr 6, 2007

If you have a series of zip files

No, they were separate files, all placed in a folder for me to download. Which I did, one by one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange disappearance act: files downloaded from ftp site "empty"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »