Umutay Midinova
Umutay Midinova
Kyrgyzstan
Local time: 14:00
English to Kirghiz
+ ...
Mar 17, 2007

Hello all!

I couldn't send to client the ready file in PowerPoint. It is heavy almost 8 Mgb.
I tried to upload the file via the client's site. The computer is buzzing. I sent it via e-mail by using the option of breaking the file into parts. The client didn't receive the parcel. I am trying to ftp, but transferring is freezing at 1 or 3% of progress.
The client advise to delete some images. But I am not sure it will solve the problem. Only one image is without any text.
... See more
Hello all!

I couldn't send to client the ready file in PowerPoint. It is heavy almost 8 Mgb.
I tried to upload the file via the client's site. The computer is buzzing. I sent it via e-mail by using the option of breaking the file into parts. The client didn't receive the parcel. I am trying to ftp, but transferring is freezing at 1 or 3% of progress.
The client advise to delete some images. But I am not sure it will solve the problem. Only one image is without any text.
Have somebody ever met with a problem of this kind?
I never before worked with PowerPoint, maybe there some options which could solve the problems.
Collapse

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 04:00
English
FTOP should work, but... Mar 18, 2007

There are also plenty of other solutions, some that depend on how much freedom the users have.

For example, you have web sites where you can drop off files for others to pick up later, such as DropLoad.com. Works well, but many companies block it.

Chat applications (iChat, Yahoo Messenger, others) offer file transfer ... which also may be blocked. There are also stand-alone applications that set up a tunnel between two systems, such as PC-Mac-Net FileShare (lavasoftwa
... See more
There are also plenty of other solutions, some that depend on how much freedom the users have.

For example, you have web sites where you can drop off files for others to pick up later, such as DropLoad.com. Works well, but many companies block it.

Chat applications (iChat, Yahoo Messenger, others) offer file transfer ... which also may be blocked. There are also stand-alone applications that set up a tunnel between two systems, such as PC-Mac-Net FileShare (lavasoftware.com), Wormhole (crystalfiresw.com), and XCaramba (xybernic.com)

About the file size in general, sometimes a "save as" will shrink it a bit.

[Edited at 2007-03-18 00:31]
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 02:00
English to Spanish
Two options... Mar 18, 2007

1. WinZip the file. (This will make it lighter.)

2. When using FTP, you must link or shrink the file's name (instead of "name of file.ppt", "name_of_file.ppt" or "nameoffile.ppt").

Hope this helps.

Murat Uzum
Murat Uzum  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:00
English to Turkish
Solution By Winrar or Rapidshare Mar 18, 2007

Well you can use WinRar software to compress and divide file in to pieces. Just install WinRar Evaluation copy from it's website and be sure that your client has this software too (it's one of the most popular compressing software used by many people). Then run winRar and select Wizard to compress your ppt file and also to divide it into pieces. By this way you can send the file in 8 pieces (each 1 mb) then he/she can compile the pieces.

Another solution is to upload ppt file direct
... See more
Well you can use WinRar software to compress and divide file in to pieces. Just install WinRar Evaluation copy from it's website and be sure that your client has this software too (it's one of the most popular compressing software used by many people). Then run winRar and select Wizard to compress your ppt file and also to divide it into pieces. By this way you can send the file in 8 pieces (each 1 mb) then he/she can compile the pieces.

Another solution is to upload ppt file directly to a free storage web site http://www.rapidshare.de. Then you can give the adress of the file which your client can download, then you can earse it from Rapidshare.

Good luck
Collapse

Umutay Midinova
Umutay Midinova
Kyrgyzstan
English to Kirghiz
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The ways of solving problems Mar 18, 2007

I have found in I-net tips how to reduce the size of presentations. That altogether shrinked the file to pretty 3 Mgb.
I happened to ftp after almost three hours of incessant effort.
At last I managed sent it at low speed of dial-up.

And Tadzio, well, the name WAS with spaces.
Thank you both I will remeber your advices to use them in future.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:00
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
sendthisfile.com; yousendit.com Mar 18, 2007

I have made good experiences with these services:

www.sendthisfile.com
www.yousendit.com

Both are free.

Hope this helps,
Erik

Umutay Midinova
Umutay Midinova
Kyrgyzstan
English to Kirghiz
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very useful service Mar 18, 2007

Thank you

I have bookmarked them for future use.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sending ppt. file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »