TRANSCRIPTION PROBLEM: Using MP3 with Dragon?
Thread poster: Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Feb 2, 2007

Hi, I've just agreed to transcribe 3 speeches in English (no translation involved) for a regular client. The material has been sent to me in MP3 files.

I opened the MP3 Player and a Word file, and began to repeat what the speaker was saying. That works, but when I need to stop the MP3 file (which happens every sentence or two), then I'm finding the switching back and forth between Word and MP3 to be too cumbersome.

Is there any other way to get this transcribed without
... See more
Hi, I've just agreed to transcribe 3 speeches in English (no translation involved) for a regular client. The material has been sent to me in MP3 files.

I opened the MP3 Player and a Word file, and began to repeat what the speaker was saying. That works, but when I need to stop the MP3 file (which happens every sentence or two), then I'm finding the switching back and forth between Word and MP3 to be too cumbersome.

Is there any other way to get this transcribed without having to keyboard in every word?

thanks!
Collapse

Jing Nie
Jing Nie
China
Local time: 18:23
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Try transcriber Feb 3, 2007

I met the same problem a month ago. I searched on the web and found the transcriber. It's very easy to handle and it is a freeware under GNU Gerneral Public License.

http://trans.sourceforge.net/en/presentation.php

==========
Transcriber is a tool for assisting the manual annotation of speech signals. It provides a user-friendly graphical user interf
... See more
I met the same problem a month ago. I searched on the web and found the transcriber. It's very easy to handle and it is a freeware under GNU Gerneral Public License.

==========
Transcriber is a tool for assisting the manual annotation of speech signals. It provides a user-friendly graphical user interface for segmenting long duration speech recordings, transcribing them, and labeling speech turns, topic changes and acoustic conditions. It is more specifically designed for the annotation of broadcast news recordings, for creating corpora used in the development of automatic broadcast news transcription systems, but its features might be found useful in other areas of speech research.

Transcriber is developed with the scripting language Tcl/Tk and C extensions. It relies on the Snack sound extension, which allows support for most common audio formats, and on the tcLex lexer generator.

Transcriber is distributed as a free software under GNU General Public License. and has been built to support different platforms (Windows XP/2k, Mac OS X and various Linux).
===========

As for dragon naturallyspeaking, it 's a useful tool too, but for MP3 files, the voice must be very clear and no background music or other sounds are permitted,otherwise the result is poor.
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 05:23
Spanish
+ ...
Transcribir... Feb 3, 2007

Hello Patricia,

Dragon Preferred Edition can transcribe audio files directly. First you need to convert the mp3 files to 16-bit wave files. There are several programs that can do this, I use dBpoweramp Music Converter, which is free. Then go to Sonido>Transcribir grabación, select the *.wav file and check out the preferences--since your files are speeches, you may need to select 'Text only'. The text will be transcribed on DragonPad. But the quality of the transcription depend
... See more
Hello Patricia,

Dragon Preferred Edition can transcribe audio files directly. First you need to convert the mp3 files to 16-bit wave files. There are several programs that can do this, I use dBpoweramp Music Converter, which is free. Then go to Sonido>Transcribir grabación, select the *.wav file and check out the preferences--since your files are speeches, you may need to select 'Text only'. The text will be transcribed on DragonPad. But the quality of the transcription depends on the quality of the audio files.

I hope that helped.
Claudia
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
THANK YOU! Feb 3, 2007

Claudia,
That's so helpful. I don't have the preferred edition, so I'm going to have to see if there is a way I could upgrade (which I was considering doing even before this arrived).

Working with audio (even music files) is something I just don't do, so your explanation was a big help. Thanks!
Patricia

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
thank you!! Feb 3, 2007

NieJing wrote:

Thank you, too, for the information and the link. I'll check it out!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRANSCRIPTION PROBLEM: Using MP3 with Dragon?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »