Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:14
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Jan 29, 2007

I thought I would reinstall windows XP on my old computer, since it had started running very slowly. I backed everything up and got out the six "system recovery" CDs that HP had supplied. However, pressing F1, as instructed, had no effect, so I pressed F10 and selected reinstall with rapid formatting because I liked the sound of it deleting everything that had been previously installed. It went through a reinstalling procedure for about fifteen minites and then I restarted the computer - to find... See more
I thought I would reinstall windows XP on my old computer, since it had started running very slowly. I backed everything up and got out the six "system recovery" CDs that HP had supplied. However, pressing F1, as instructed, had no effect, so I pressed F10 and selected reinstall with rapid formatting because I liked the sound of it deleting everything that had been previously installed. It went through a reinstalling procedure for about fifteen minites and then I restarted the computer - to find that the screen is flickering and continuously rapidly scrolling vertically - so fast that I can barely see what is on it, some kind of parameter selection procedure I think. In any case I now can't do anything since the screen won't stay still! Something to do with the video drivers? Any help welcome.Collapse

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 01:14
English
Probably just have to do it over again Jan 29, 2007

Recovery CDs usually put a computer back in the state it was in when it left the factory. Assuming that the CD contains the correct video drivers and whatever else it needs for your exact system, it appears what what happened was a hiccup -- some driver file was not written properly. (By they way, could you perhaps have the HP CD mixed up with another HP you have? Restore CDs are usually tuned to specific hardware and many times don't even allow for the selection of any parameters -- it's just... See more
Recovery CDs usually put a computer back in the state it was in when it left the factory. Assuming that the CD contains the correct video drivers and whatever else it needs for your exact system, it appears what what happened was a hiccup -- some driver file was not written properly. (By they way, could you perhaps have the HP CD mixed up with another HP you have? Restore CDs are usually tuned to specific hardware and many times don't even allow for the selection of any parameters -- it's just a "base" installation.)

Even if the problem could be fixed with (for example) an F8 Safe Boot, I would not feel comfortable that nothing else was wrong. I would suggest another full install from a CD boot. Also, if you are presented options for a more complete solution -- something slower than the "quick" format -- I would take it. HP's concept of a quick format may not be as complete as what I would like.

[Edited at 2007-01-29 01:18]
Collapse

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:14
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's all Ok now Jan 29, 2007

Having turned the computer back on this morning it seems to have sorted itself out - very strange.

franksf
franksf
Chinese to English
Contact HP Jan 29, 2007

and get the service you are entitled to and paid for.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

problem reinstalling system

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »