Thread poster: Momoka (X)
Momoka (X)
Momoka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:11
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 17, 2007

Hello, all!

I have a 70-page-scanned file (pdf format) to work on and would like to split it to work on it in parts. Is there some way to do this?

Must mention that I found solutions only for not-scanned pdfs and other file formats in the forums.

I have already tried copying parts of the document from pdf to word using the "Snapshot tool" of Adobe Reader (this is how it reads in Japanese; I'm not sure the correct term used in the English ver
... See more
Hello, all!

I have a 70-page-scanned file (pdf format) to work on and would like to split it to work on it in parts. Is there some way to do this?

Must mention that I found solutions only for not-scanned pdfs and other file formats in the forums.

I have already tried copying parts of the document from pdf to word using the "Snapshot tool" of Adobe Reader (this is how it reads in Japanese; I'm not sure the correct term used in the English version), but it seems this can be done only with one page at a time and that would be rather time consuming...doing 70 pages one by one...

Any suggestions or hints?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Diana

[Edited at 2007-01-17 00:14]

[Edited at 2007-01-17 00:15]
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:11
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Maybe don't split it at all Jan 17, 2007

What I do sometimes - I open at the same time Word and Acrobat Reader resize each of them to half of a screen (usually Word on top but it is subjective) and translate....

franksf
franksf
Chinese to English
try snagit Jan 17, 2007

http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.asp
open file with adobe and try the auto-scroll feature, failing that try to open the file with a web browser

Momoka (X)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Convenience Jan 17, 2007

Thanks, Stanislaw, for the quick response.

I do what you recommend when working with rather short files (up to 10 pages), but this is a document in three chapters that I'm planning to convert to Word by chapter to translate and deliver each chapter apart (as agreed with the client).

I can convert the whole document and divide it later, but it will be more convenient for me to have the document divided from the start.

Thanks again, and looking forward to
... See more
Thanks, Stanislaw, for the quick response.

I do what you recommend when working with rather short files (up to 10 pages), but this is a document in three chapters that I'm planning to convert to Word by chapter to translate and deliver each chapter apart (as agreed with the client).

I can convert the whole document and divide it later, but it will be more convenient for me to have the document divided from the start.

Thanks again, and looking forward to more suggestions!
Collapse

Şadan Öz
Şadan Öz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:11
English to Turkish
You should have a program Jan 17, 2007

If you will frequently need to divide, excerpt from a PDF file, you may prefer to buy an Acrobat Standard (or Professional) version or any other related third-party software like PDF Transformer (http://www.abbyy.com).

Actually Acrobat Reader doesn't allow these processes on PDF files. I suggest that you visit and compare the versions (and of course, t
... See more
If you will frequently need to divide, excerpt from a PDF file, you may prefer to buy an Acrobat Standard (or Professional) version or any other related third-party software like PDF Transformer (http://www.abbyy.com).

Actually Acrobat Reader doesn't allow these processes on PDF files. I suggest that you visit and compare the versions (and of course, their prices): http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/index.html
Collapse

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:11
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Divide or text extract? Jan 17, 2007

Hi

If you want to divide the PDF file and create smaller PDF files with less pages, you should use the "extract pages" tool in full versions of Adobe Acrobat.

If you want to extract text from your PDF (provided that the copy/scan quality is good) and export the English text into MS-Word for instance, you could use OCR software. My OCR of choice is 'ABBYY Finereader' http://www.abbyy.com/... See more
Hi

If you want to divide the PDF file and create smaller PDF files with less pages, you should use the "extract pages" tool in full versions of Adobe Acrobat.

If you want to extract text from your PDF (provided that the copy/scan quality is good) and export the English text into MS-Word for instance, you could use OCR software. My OCR of choice is 'ABBYY Finereader' http://www.abbyy.com/

Hope this helps.

Best

rahi
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:11
German to English
+ ...
PDFsam Jan 17, 2007

will split .pdf files into individual pages and merge together specified single .pdf pages into one .pdf.

It's free, but you will need to have Java installed.

www.pdfsam.org

Previously posted this information at:

www.proz.com/post/481352

Ladislav Filo (X)
Ladislav Filo (X)  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 17:11
English to Slovak
+ ...
OCR Jan 17, 2007

Use PDF Transformer or ABBYY Fine Reader from www.abbyy.com and you'll get Word file for working on.

Momoka (X)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
First divide, then convert Jan 17, 2007

Thank you all for your replies.

I just wanted to know if dividing the pdf scanned file was possible. If so, I wanted to divide it first and then convert it by parts.

So converting is not the problem; dividing is. But it seems I'll need extra software to do that.

Will give it a thought.

Thanks again!

Marlou Franken
Marlou Franken  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
split PDF with Acrobat? Jan 17, 2007

Did I understand it well, that Acrobat can split PDF scan files?

[Edited at 2007-01-17 12:39]

franksf
franksf
Chinese to English
no Jan 18, 2007

Marlou Franken wrote:

Did I understand it well, that Acrobat can split PDF scan files?

[Edited at 2007-01-17 12:39]

scanned pages may be likened to images in one photograph and may not be split right with the present features of adobe.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
try ARts split & Merge tool Jan 19, 2007

Hi! it is a program but functions like a plug-in. We had this discussion a couple of years back and one of the experienced moderators gave me the tip. Since then this was the best solution I could go for. Advantages of this tool are you can define the size of the batch in number of pages and when the good work is done, you can convert all the batch files back to .pdf and merge them into one file. Smaller files generally are easier to process into OCR, because they do not take up somuch of memory... See more
Hi! it is a program but functions like a plug-in. We had this discussion a couple of years back and one of the experienced moderators gave me the tip. Since then this was the best solution I could go for. Advantages of this tool are you can define the size of the batch in number of pages and when the good work is done, you can convert all the batch files back to .pdf and merge them into one file. Smaller files generally are easier to process into OCR, because they do not take up somuch of memory, this is also another advantage, why one should split files into equal parts, before processing. Best Brandis

[Edited at 2007-01-19 18:41]
Collapse

gfichter
gfichter  Identity Verified
United States
English
+ ...
Using full Acrobat... Jan 25, 2007

The Document menu lets you add, delete, insert pages. Some combination of those will let you start with many pages and create a single page or a group of pages.
I usually delete all but the page(s) I want, then save with a new file name.
But you need to have the full Acrobat for this, not just Reader.

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
English
Depends on your meaning.... Jan 29, 2007

franksf wrote:

scanned pages may be likened to images in one photograph and may not be split right with the present features of adobe.

If you are talking about splitting between distinct pages -- like splitting a 70-page doc into seven 10-page files, yes, it can, using the Extract feature (full Acrobat), even if those pages are images. If you are trying to split a single page into pieces ... umm, well, strictly speaking you can using the crop feature, but for the most part, you cannot.

Just wanted to make sure this was clear to the original poster.

[Edited at 2007-01-29 01:35]

Momoka (X)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For those who have contributed to this thread... Jan 29, 2007

Thank you all.

I decided to convert the whole document by parts, instead of trying to divide it first.
I already have an OCR software, so this will be the quickest way for me.
Anyway, when I have time will take a look at the options you've given me, since I might need them again some day.

Regards,

Diana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to split a pdf (scanned) file

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »