Thread poster: ST Translations
ST Translations
ST Translations
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:08
French to English
Nov 27, 2006

Hello
I have BT Home Hub Total Wireless Broadband. Last night, the internet connection failed (it came back on eventually when I unplugged the modem then plugged it back in) but I had wasted quite a lot of time by then. My client says that if I had Skype we could exchange files in seconds regardless of the Internet connection. I would be really grateful if somebody could explain how this works!

Lorenia de la Vega
Lorenia de la Vega  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Skype Nov 27, 2006

Skype is a VoIP (Voice Over IP) program and network. First of all, you can download it here:

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/windows/skype3beta.html

And then install it. Once it finishes downloading, just double-click on the icon.

After installing the program, it will allow you to create a new user name, with the password you choose. A
... See more
Skype is a VoIP (Voice Over IP) program and network. First of all, you can download it here:

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/windows/skype3beta.html

And then install it. Once it finishes downloading, just double-click on the icon.

After installing the program, it will allow you to create a new user name, with the password you choose. And you're set.

For sending messages and transferring files, it works pretty much like any other instant messenger. The difference is that a direct link is established among the people you choose to chat with/send files to on your list, enabling you to transfer files at great speeds. I can send a 5MB pdf file in say, 10 seconds.

Once you've installed Skype and have created your user name, you add your client's username, and they're on you list, ready to send/receive files.

Good luck!
Collapse

Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:08
German to French
+ ...
Skype without internet? Nov 27, 2006

ST Translations wrote:

Hello
I have BT Home Hub Total Wireless Broadband. Last night, the internet connection failed (it came back on eventually when I unplugged the modem then plugged it back in) but I had wasted quite a lot of time by then. My client says that if I had Skype we could exchange files in seconds regardless of the Internet connection. I would be really grateful if somebody could explain how this works!

It may be quicker but if you can't connect yourself to the Internet, I don't understand how you can send a file then (skype is an Internet-based service)? Am I missing something?

ST Translations
ST Translations
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 27, 2006

Thanks Lorenia, that's a revelation - I thought you could only talk on the telephone with Skype! Thanks very much for sharing your wisdom!

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Connection required Nov 27, 2006

ST Translations wrote:

Hello

Skype rocks! Instant questions sorted by voice or chat, less mail etc.

But - remember it won't work if you are not connected to the Net!

The file transmission gizmo is brilliant of course when your mail server is misbehaving, but you still have to be online.

HTH
Chris

Textklick
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Nope ;-) Nov 27, 2006

Yolande Haneder wrote:

Am I missing something?

Sorry - I think I repeated what you had already written without pressing the "refresh" button first. Or my Internet connection is slow

Happy Skyping

Lorenia de la Vega
Lorenia de la Vega  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Useful with slow and troublesome connections. Nov 27, 2006

Yolande Haneder wrote:

It may be quicker but if you can't connect yourself to the Internet, I don't understand how you can send a file then (skype is an Internet-based service)? Am I missing something?

Before I changed service providers, my internet connection was terrible... sometimes it was fine, sometimes I wouldn't be able to get online for a couple days at a time, sometimes it was simply ridiculously slow. The reason using Skype is advantageous with connections like this is that instead of waiting for your email client to try and send 5MB in half an hour and risking your connection messing up mid-transfer 20 times, Skype will send it in a few seconds, so no matter how *bad* your connection is, you can usually send and receive things just fine.

Now... if you have *no* internet at all, then it's really all moot.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Not always so fast Nov 27, 2006

Lorenia de la Vega wrote:

For sending messages and transferring files, it works pretty much like any other instant messenger. The difference is that a direct link is established among the people you choose to chat with/send files to on your list, enabling you to transfer files at great speeds. I can send a 5MB pdf file in say, 10 seconds.

Not in every case. If you have external proxy, external IP, you are "behind NAT", and Skype slows down the transfer to 1 kB/s and no more. I have such situation, so in my case email is better, especially if it comes to big files, which take ages to be sent through Skype.

Anni

ST Translations
ST Translations
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
two separate internet providers Nov 27, 2006

I have found the information regarding Skype very useful and I am considering investing in it. However, the problem is with my internet connection rather than the email. I think I'm going to get a second, additional internet phone line with a different internet provider (for emergencies!). I'd be interested to know if anybody else does this.

Textklick
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Do you really need two? Nov 27, 2006

Question is - is it a recurring problem or was this a one-off?

I occasionally lose my connection.

Unplug the modem, give the computer a couple of minutes to ponder on what has happened, replug, wait a few mins again and you are usually back up.

BTW "Considering in investing?" You can download and use Skype to chat, speak and transfer files for free!

You only need to pay if you want to use it for calling landlines/mobiles at a discounted rate.<
... See more
Question is - is it a recurring problem or was this a one-off?

I occasionally lose my connection.

Unplug the modem, give the computer a couple of minutes to ponder on what has happened, replug, wait a few mins again and you are usually back up.

BTW "Considering in investing?" You can download and use Skype to chat, speak and transfer files for free!

You only need to pay if you want to use it for calling landlines/mobiles at a discounted rate.

Apart from that, it's on the house

Cheers
Chris

[Edited at 2006-11-27 16:19]
Collapse

ST Translations
ST Translations
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Internet connection Nov 27, 2006

Thanks textclick, you're probably right, I don't have connection problems that frequently, but Skype is sounding more and more attractive!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bad internet connection

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »