Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:38
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Nov 19, 2006

Since a few days my XP-laptop stays on, when I close the lit, does not obey the power saving scheme and cannot even be switched off from the system, but needs to be shut down by pressing the power switch.
Any ideas, what can be the matter. I already deinstalled the most recent software to no avail.

Thanks for suggenstions!
Heinrich

Ehab Tantawy
Ehab Tantawy  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:38
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
The same, but have the solution ;) Nov 19, 2006

Dear Heinrich Pesch

actually i faced the same problem at my Laptop, Dell Inspiron 2200, I found that i had to in install the software; from Dell website-->> Downloads, concerning the Video Driver (Intel Graphics Video). Please try to do. If not please give me the Configurations of your Laptop and its Model, Version, etc.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck,
Regards,
Ehab

mireille aboumrad
mireille aboumrad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:38
French to English
+ ...
Laptop Nov 19, 2006

If there are programs running in the background, it won't close. Try deleting anything in the temp folder, or you might have spyware, try cleaning your computer. In any case defragment your disk. I do not know if this helps, but it worked for me.
Best regards,
Mireille

Jing Nie
Jing Nie
China
Local time: 10:38
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
you can set it in the control panel Nov 20, 2006

I remember that there are a "power administration" (or with similar name, i dont use an english version of windows), you can change your power setting there. It is only for windows OS, i dont know what OS you are using.

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so far Nov 20, 2006

I have searched for viruses and other unwanted stuff and emptied the temp-folder, but the problem remains.
Does anyone know what would happen if I set back XP by a week into a state, when this problem did not exist? Would I lose important files and could it mend the problem?
Regards
Heinrich

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not likely… Nov 20, 2006

Does anyone know what would happen if I set back XP by a week into a state, when this problem did not exist?

You definitely won't loose your documents (but this does not mean, you should not back up, a backup is never excessive, especially if you've got Windows and your documents on the same partition). You'll have to reinstall software, drivers and system updates, if you installed any since that time.

However, I'd adivse first to check, if your laptop power management is controlled by Windows or by an extra program. The latter is the case of, for example, ASUS notebooks supplied with Power4Gear installed. I had some minor problems of similar kind which disappeared after reinstalling that program. So, check that program and check power management settings before any rollback of the system.

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Replacing the video driver seems to have solved this Nov 20, 2006

Going back one week did not help, but after I installed the video driver anew the notebook could be restarted normally and did not get stuck at "exiting Windows". Hope the power saving feature works now too again.
Thanks for your advice!
Heinrich

Ehab Tantawy
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
I am happy for that Nov 20, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Going back one week did not help, but after I installed the video driver anew the notebook could be restarted normally and did not get stuck at "exiting Windows". Hope the power saving feature works now too again.
Thanks for your advice!
Heinrich

Dear Heinrich

I am happy that i was able to help you. Actually, the last time i was installed a new XP OS, i was somewhat lazy to installing the Video driver, guessing that it may not be useful because the VGA driver was OK. When faced this problem, like yours, found it may be the Video Driver, which actually was the proper solution.

Good Luck with your work.
Take care.
Have a nice day.

Regards,
Ehab

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ehab! Nov 21, 2006

All works well now again. In the process I have learned quite a lot. I had to turn the notebook upside down to be able to read the model number, then I selected the right driver from the manufacturers site and installed the new driver.
Interesting too the setback feature of XP, it actually even set back the settings in Wordfast, so after restart I found Wf using the TM I had been using a week ago.

Cheers
Heinrich

Ehab Tantawy
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
UP To You my Dear Nov 21, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

All works well now again. In the process I have learned quite a lot. I had to turn the notebook upside down to be able to read the model number, then I selected the right driver from the manufacturers site and installed the new driver.
Interesting too the setback feature of XP, it actually even set back the settings in Wordfast, so after restart I found Wf using the TM I had been using a week ago.

Cheers
Heinrich

Dear Heinrich

The same exactly. I had turned the notebook upside down to be able to read the model number, then I had selected the right driver from the manufacturers site and installed the new driver.
In fact, troubleshooting let us learn more.

Good Luck with a lot of successful business.

Regards,
Ehab

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Laptop does not go to sleep anymore

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »