avantix
avantix  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:15
German to Dutch
+ ...
In memoriam
Oct 16, 2006

Since a couple of months I do translation jobs for an outsourcer who sends POs and IAs (invoice authorisations) not as an attachment, but integrated in the mail message.

When I open the message, I can read the whole PO or IA but when I give a Print command, the only thing that I get out of my printer is the sender's address, which is standard e-mail signature. After that the content has disappeared.

The same happens when I switch between messages. I read the content, op
... See more
Since a couple of months I do translation jobs for an outsourcer who sends POs and IAs (invoice authorisations) not as an attachment, but integrated in the mail message.

When I open the message, I can read the whole PO or IA but when I give a Print command, the only thing that I get out of my printer is the sender's address, which is standard e-mail signature. After that the content has disappeared.

The same happens when I switch between messages. I read the content, open another message and then return to the message with the PO/IA - only to discover that the content has vanished. switching.

I use MS Outlook for my e-mail with standard settings. I receive up to 80-100 messages a day and this never happens with any other message received, onlly those with the "integrated content" from this outsourcer. Other e-mails from the same source are ok, so are their attachments.

Anyone out there who could explain this mystery and/or possibly come up with a solution ???
Collapse

Andrey Lipattsev
Andrey Lipattsev  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 12:15
English to Russian
+ ...
don't use MS outlook :) Oct 16, 2006

I cannot offer you a good explanation, never having seen this kind of problem before, but there's a reason for that - I haven't used Outlook since Windows 98, I believe.
Seriously, though, have you tried opening your e-mails without using a mail client, i.e. by opening them directly on your e-mail provider's webpage? even if you are not using hotmail, yahoo, gmail or another service like that, you e-mail provider will definit
... See more
I cannot offer you a good explanation, never having seen this kind of problem before, but there's a reason for that - I haven't used Outlook since Windows 98, I believe.
Seriously, though, have you tried opening your e-mails without using a mail client, i.e. by opening them directly on your e-mail provider's webpage? even if you are not using hotmail, yahoo, gmail or another service like that, you e-mail provider will definitely have a way of checking your mail on-line directly (without downloading to your e-mail client on your PC)
The best solution, in my opinion, would be to switch away from this piece of software which is riddled with bugs and to use something like Eudora or the (in my opinion!) excellent ThunderBird by Mozilla. I've been using Thunderbird for over a year now and it hasn't caused me any problems ever, neither with e-mail content nor with with anything else.

[Редактировалось 2006-10-16 22:15]
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 06:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Have you tried copy & paste? Oct 17, 2006

I know, it's a low-tech solution, but it might work. Select & copy the text and then paste it into a WordPerfect or Word doc. It has worked for me on websites that wouldn't let me print.

Good luck!

Jane

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 06:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Content expired? Oct 17, 2006

It looks as if this outsourcer might be using some fancy software to build these POs and IAs using content from a database converted directly to HTML in the e-mail message body, 'on the fly'.

Now, if such a system is setting an expiry date/time for the content, then when your PC tries to refresh the page - either to print it or when you try to return to it after viewing something else - the content will have timed out and you'll see ... nothing (at least, nothing of what came from t
... See more
It looks as if this outsourcer might be using some fancy software to build these POs and IAs using content from a database converted directly to HTML in the e-mail message body, 'on the fly'.

Now, if such a system is setting an expiry date/time for the content, then when your PC tries to refresh the page - either to print it or when you try to return to it after viewing something else - the content will have timed out and you'll see ... nothing (at least, nothing of what came from the database, which is the situation you have described).

Maybe you should discuss this with the outsourcer - if you know how they are creating the message you will be better able to process it.

MediaMatrix
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vanishing e-mail content

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »