Problem with dual-screen setup
Thread poster: Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 22:43
French to English
+ ...
Oct 5, 2006

I have finally got round to setting up an additional screen on my computer. I love the extra desktop space, but I have a small problem. Every time I restart my computer, the setup messes up. Windows starts loading up in the second screen, but then the Windows login appears on my laptop screen. Everything appears really big on the laptop screen, so much so, that I can scroll up and down between my two profiles. Once I login, it begins by creating one large desktop spread across the two scree... See more
I have finally got round to setting up an additional screen on my computer. I love the extra desktop space, but I have a small problem. Every time I restart my computer, the setup messes up. Windows starts loading up in the second screen, but then the Windows login appears on my laptop screen. Everything appears really big on the laptop screen, so much so, that I can scroll up and down between my two profiles. Once I login, it begins by creating one large desktop spread across the two screens, but then the second screen goes blank, and the main screen appears with the proper resolution, but without the taskbar at the bottom. If I go to the screen setup, everything is how it should be, and so the only way to get the screens to work correctly again, is to change a setting, click apply, then change it back again, before clicking apply all okay.

Has anyone else with a dual-screen setup had this problem? Has anyone found a solution?
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:43
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Try this Oct 5, 2006

I have a dual-screen setup, too. I have a laptop and I have an additional monitor connected to it.
My laptop screen is No.1 and the other is No.2.
I had similar experiences, booting starts on screen No.2, etc.
Did not have a problem with the taskbar, and I did not have to reapply the settings, but instead, the entire booting process took much longer than before.

What works for me is that I do not turn on the second monitor until my laptop fully boots up.
This
... See more
I have a dual-screen setup, too. I have a laptop and I have an additional monitor connected to it.
Did not have a problem with the taskbar, and I did not have to reapply the settings, but instead, the entire booting process took much longer than before.

What works for me is that I do not turn on the second monitor until my laptop fully boots up.
This seems to prevent the problems.

Have you tried this?
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 22:43
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but it doesn't work... Oct 5, 2006

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

This seems to prevent the problems.

Have you tried this?

No luck I'm afraid. The bits I said normally show up in screen two during the boot up just didn't show at all. Screen one showed the same as when I had both monitors on from the start.

Dr. Jason Faulkner
Dr. Jason Faulkner  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:43
Spanish to English
The Quest for More Desktop Space Oct 6, 2006

I've used dual monitors for the last year, both with my desktop, and on the road with my laptop. Some issues I encountered along the way:

1. Make sure your laptop (or desktop) is on Monitor 1.
2. Make sure you have the correct drivers for your video cards (you probably have different ones for the laptop screen and the external monitor output). Update them through the device manager and reboot.
3. On my desktop system, which is a few years old now, I had to turn off
... See more
I've used dual monitors for the last year, both with my desktop, and on the road with my laptop. Some issues I encountered along the way:

1. Make sure your laptop (or desktop) is on Monitor 1.
2. Make sure you have the correct drivers for your video cards (you probably have different ones for the laptop screen and the external monitor output). Update them through the device manager and reboot.
3. On my desktop system, which is a few years old now, I had to turn off the second monitor in the display settings before shutting down the computer. If I didn't, all kinds of crazy stuff would happen when I restarted. I haven't had that problem with the laptop, but it's really new so they probably fixed that.
4. If one video card was 16 bit, and the other was 32, I had all kinds of problems with the screen resizing. I upgraded my primary video card to 32 bit and that stopped happening.

It seems every computer I tried to use two displays on had different bugs. I finally had to just take my laptop everywhere once I had it dialed in. My latest solution is the one that seems to work best. I conviced my company to buy me a widescreen laptop. I have one window open on each side of the screen at 75% zoom (Word, Acrobat, etc.). It's very nice for electronic files, though it's a little hard on the eyes for the faxes and typewritten pages.

- And for when I get that 1000000 word project I'm still waiting for?

A new device that I tried at the Consumer Electronics Show here in Vegas was a wearable display. It goes over your eyes and has a motion sensor. Your desktop is a 360 degree world around you. As you turn your head it follows around, even overhead! I literally had 30 documents open all around me without overlap and without having to minimize anything. Very nice, but still $800. Plus you need a monster video card to drive it (another $400).

In my next life I'm choosing richer parents! (maybe Bill Gates, then I can get Windows to work as advertised)

-Saludos

Jason
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with dual-screen setup

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »