Conrado Portugal
Conrado Portugal
Germany
Local time: 08:48
German to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 18, 2006

Dear all,

I am working with Windows XP. I use Outlook express to get my emails. Today after closing Outlook Express I got a message telling me I could compress all messages in the Inbox in order to save space. But after that, when I opened Outlook Express again all my Inbox messages had disappeared!! Help! where are they??

I rember doing this compressing thing without any trouble. What happened?

A desperate colleague

Conrado

Branka Stankovic McCarthy
Branka Stankovic McCarthy  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Store Folder? Sep 18, 2006

You might find them there.

Tools/Options/Maintenance

Check the location of your Store Folder and try looking for them there. You might have to access the Folder from the Registry.

Hope that helped.

Conrado Portugal
Conrado Portugal
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tools? Sep 18, 2006

Branka Stankovic McCarthy wrote:

You might find them there.

Tools/Options/Maintenance

Check the location of your Store Folder and try looking for them there. You might have to access the Folder from the Registry.

Hope that helped.

Hello Branka,

Thanks but I dont have any Tools Option in Outlook Express. There is in Outlook but I am using Outlook Express. Or did I got you wrong?

Thanks!

Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Outlook Express Sep 18, 2006

I'm using Outlook Express, version - 6.00

At the top of the page I'm given the following menu:

File Edit View Tools Message Help

It's those Tools you need.

Good luck

Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Don't want to frighten you Sep 18, 2006

but I just remembered that something similar happened to me a few years ago. It turned out I've picked up a virus that corrupted my Outlook Express and wiped out all my messages. Mind you, after that, I could open Outlook Express but could not send nor receive messages.
I do hope this is not the case here.

Conrado Portugal
Conrado Portugal
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Keeping progress Sep 18, 2006

Branka Stankovic McCarthy wrote:

but I just remembered that something similar happened to me a few years ago. It turned out I've picked up a virus that corrupted my Outlook Express and wiped out all my messages. Mind you, after that, I could open Outlook Express but could not send nor receive messages.
I do hope this is not the case here.

I've found the tools/maintenance stuff (in German it's call quite different:-)) I've found the folder where it's stored but I canot open it because my PC doesn't recognize the programm in which the folder is saved. The name of the folder is: Posteingang.dbx . Do you know how to open it?

Jeez, why me??!!)

Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Registry Sep 18, 2006

I personaly would access it from the Registry. However, if you're not an advanced user, I'd suggest against it. Don't delete anything as it can seriously mess up your PC.

To get to the registry:

Start/Run and type in regedit

Natalia K
Natalia K
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:48
English to Russian
Hello conrado portugal, Sep 19, 2006

Do you have McAffee antivirus program installed? It may cause such a problem.

Sarah Brenchley
Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Import/export function Sep 19, 2006

I'm not sure about Outlook Express but Outlook does have a function to import messages from Outlook Express.
Perhaps you could try that and import the messages from Outlook Express to Outlook Express.
Let us know how you got on.
Sarah.

Pavle Perencevic
Pavle Perencevic  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:48
Member (2002)
Serbian to English
+ ...
there still may be hope... Sep 19, 2006

conrado portugal wrote:

Dear all,

I am working with Windows XP. I use Outlook express to get my emails. Today after closing Outlook Express I got a message telling me I could compress all messages in the Inbox in order to save space. But after that, when I opened Outlook Express again all my Inbox messages had disappeared!! Help! where are they??

I rember doing this compressing thing without any trouble. What happened?

A desperate colleague

Conrado

I don't know if this is gonna work in your case, but why not give System Restore a try? It sure has saved my skin a couple of times.

Also, there's a slight chance you might still be able to locate some of your backed-up messages in C:\Documents and Settings\User XYZ\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\....\Microsoft\Outlook Express. There may be several different terminal folders in this sequence, and one of them just might contain some, if not all, of your messages.

Hope this helps.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:48
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Helpful page; MailNavigator Sep 19, 2006

I found this webpage which gives some useful information on this subject.
http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm
Having found the files as advised on this page, I then found a program called MailNavigator - www.mailnavigator.com - which enabled me to open dbx files. The program can be downloaded
... See more
I found this webpage which gives some useful information on this subject.
http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm
Having found the files as advised on this page, I then found a program called MailNavigator - www.mailnavigator.com - which enabled me to open dbx files. The program can be downloaded for use free for 30 days, and costs $29 if you decide to buy it.
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
Hope you get it sorted Sep 19, 2006

But once you do get this sorted, please, please, please consider changing the software you use to read your e-mail (and get rid of IE as well while you're at it, if you still use it). Outlook Express is so virus-prone that no professional should be using it. Furthermore, your address book can be accessed remotely and viruses can be sent to all your contacts without you even knowing. Just think what your clients will think if they get an e-mail from you containing a virus - especially if they ope... See more
But once you do get this sorted, please, please, please consider changing the software you use to read your e-mail (and get rid of IE as well while you're at it, if you still use it). Outlook Express is so virus-prone that no professional should be using it. Furthermore, your address book can be accessed remotely and viruses can be sent to all your contacts without you even knowing. Just think what your clients will think if they get an e-mail from you containing a virus - especially if they open it.

I recommend Thunderbird. While it certainly can be improved, it's much more virus safe and has some nice functions not available in Outlook. And it is open-source, so there are plenty of nice extensions you can add to it to give it extra functions.
Collapse

Pavle Perencevic
Pavle Perencevic  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:48
Member (2002)
Serbian to English
+ ...
some more advice... Sep 19, 2006

Timothy Barton wrote:

But once you do get this sorted, please, please, please consider changing the software you use to read your e-mail (and get rid of IE as well while you're at it, if you still use it). Outlook Express is so virus-prone that no professional should be using it. Furthermore, your address book can be accessed remotely and viruses can be sent to all your contacts without you even knowing. Just think what your clients will think if they get an e-mail from you containing a virus - especially if they open it.

Also, back up all your important stuff on a daily basis. The important stuff includes all your installation files, passwords and licences, all your past and current translation projects, dictionaries, glossaries and other translation-related documents, all your invoices and financial records, browser bookmarks, address books and messages and all other files important to you.

The best way to go about this is to have all your stuff saved, preferably by preserving the original folder structure, on a portable (miniature) disk which you can plug into a USB port, and whenever there's a change in any folder on your hard disk, back it up right away. That way, if Windows crashes and cannot be restored, the worst thing that can happen is you will have to reinstall Windows and all your programs from scratch. Which is really a good thing because your computer will work faster and you should reformat your HD every few months to get rid of all the junk anyway.

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
A suggestion Sep 19, 2006

conrado portugal wrote:

I've found the folder where it's stored but I canot open it because my PC doesn't recognize the programm in which the folder is saved. The name of the folder is: Posteingang.dbx . Do you know how to open it?

.dbx belongs to Outlook Express itself, but you cannot open it through Windows Explorer. Is this file of any considerable size? If so, this is good news, because your incoming mail box is there and presumably still full.
The question is why you cannot see the messages when you open Outlook Express...

Click on Local Folders in OE to show the folder tree and look for a folder of bigger size - perhaps you can track down where your messages have been moved

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
You can open .dbx files with Notepad or another textprogram Sep 19, 2006

Probably OE must be closed.
But don't expect to read your mails like in your mailprogram...

Anyway, if the files are not corrupted, you will be able to find there the informations you are looking for.

I had a similar problem some time ago: I lost suddenly several months of my incoming mail and still have not been able to recover it. The file is still there, several hundreds of MB, but it seems to be corrupted and does not open. ...
See more
Probably OE must be closed.
But don't expect to read your mails like in your mailprogram...

Anyway, if the files are not corrupted, you will be able to find there the informations you are looking for.

I had a similar problem some time ago: I lost suddenly several months of my incoming mail and still have not been able to recover it. The file is still there, several hundreds of MB, but it seems to be corrupted and does not open.

Good luck!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! Outlook Express deleted all emails

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »