John Colangelo
John Colangelo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:16
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Sep 2, 2006

I am a fan of Kaspersky and antinorton. When I downloaded the Kaspersky and tried to delete the Norton files, Norton stopped me from using my hotmail so I restored my system and downloaded the Kaspersky anyway and when I started a complete scan of my computer, my internet explorer started becoming slower and the pages take years to open. Any advice? I really prefer the Kaspersky over norton and want to uninstall Norton. What can I do???

[Darbinieka vai moderatora rediģēts virsraksts 20
... See more
I am a fan of Kaspersky and antinorton. When I downloaded the Kaspersky and tried to delete the Norton files, Norton stopped me from using my hotmail so I restored my system and downloaded the Kaspersky anyway and when I started a complete scan of my computer, my internet explorer started becoming slower and the pages take years to open. Any advice? I really prefer the Kaspersky over norton and want to uninstall Norton. What can I do???

[Darbinieka vai moderatora rediģēts virsraksts 2006-09-03 14:35]
Collapse

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Getting rid of Norton... Sep 2, 2006

It's quite a huge job.

At Symantec they have created a tool you can try (I haven't yet) SymNRT You can download it from the Service and Support section http://service1.symantec.com

In my experience (before the tool) the only way is by removing all entries in your registry (base de registro). CAUTION! This may stop your PC from working if you delete the wrong ones.

There
... See more
It's quite a huge job.

At Symantec they have created a tool you can try (I haven't yet) SymNRT You can download it from the Service and Support section http://service1.symantec.com

In my experience (before the tool) the only way is by removing all entries in your registry (base de registro). CAUTION! This may stop your PC from working if you delete the wrong ones.

There are some utilities that help you clean the registry safely, though even so you should think twice before deleting anything.

I think the one I like better is Regcleaner regcleaner.softonic.com

You may need to check that all registries are really deleted, it's a kind of nightmare...

Good luck!
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:16
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Make sure you uninstalled Norton completely! Sep 2, 2006

Otherwise, this can slow down your system or even make it crash.

It took me ages to get rid of Norton some time ago (this was before they offered their tool).

Anyway, with a registry cleaner (I don't remember which one) I finally managed.

Good luck!

Dina Abdo
Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 20:16
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
I've been there before Sep 2, 2006

And the only solution I found was installing a newer version of norton with custom installation where I downloaded the uninstall information.

The reason you can't remove norton totally is because of the uninstall files missing on its first download. Once you download a newer version, your system will suggest removing the older version first. Once it's removed, you can either stop wihout downloading the newer version, or you can proceed (to gurantee a total removal) and download then
... See more
And the only solution I found was installing a newer version of norton with custom installation where I downloaded the uninstall information.

The reason you can't remove norton totally is because of the uninstall files missing on its first download. Once you download a newer version, your system will suggest removing the older version first. Once it's removed, you can either stop wihout downloading the newer version, or you can proceed (to gurantee a total removal) and download then newer version WITH the uninstallation files then remove it in full.

It takes time as you sure know, but it works perfectly. Norton is too difficult to be removed, and the registery files removal may cause a real harm to your system if you're not a professional knowing PERFECTLY what you are doing. The tool suggested by the norton site for removing norton is not efficient all the time. For example, it didn't work perfectly on my XP.

Once it's removed, you can easily download Kaspersky. but downloading both of Kasper and Norton should lead to a system conflict that gets your computer to real slow performance. It happened to me. Once you download Kasper on a Norton-free system, you'll find that all is going fine, and all the web pages and computer performance in general should improve.

Good Luck
Dina Abdou

[Edited at 2006-09-02 15:05]
Collapse

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Get thee hence, Norton! Sep 2, 2006

My story is a little different: I have two XP computers, one brand new, the other reformatted and updated.

I installed Norton Internet Security on both, and then they just stopped working. I couldn't launch one single program, not even view the Control Panel.

I figured out Norton was the culprit, but couldn't remove it the usual way. So, I restarted in Safe Mode and deleted the program files manually (since Add/remove programs didn't work either).

Now I cou
... See more
My story is a little different: I have two XP computers, one brand new, the other reformatted and updated.

I installed Norton Internet Security on both, and then they just stopped working. I couldn't launch one single program, not even view the Control Panel.

I figured out Norton was the culprit, but couldn't remove it the usual way. So, I restarted in Safe Mode and deleted the program files manually (since Add/remove programs didn't work either).

Now I could use the computers again, but several dialog boxes ("missing components") were displayed at start-up and when launching Office programs (Word, Excel, etc.) Apparently, not all of Norton IS was gone.

Then I read this post and decided to try the Norton removal tool (Autofix tool). And now, my computers work perfectly without annoying dialog boxes. Norton is gone for good!

The tool can be launced (runs online only) at:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?Open&src=bar_sch_nam&docid=2005112114253313&nsf=sharedtech.nsf&view=7e7f15291a25d938882567e50048a048&seg=ag

Jørgen

[Edited at 2006-09-02 19:02]
Collapse

John Colangelo
United States
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everybody ... Sep 2, 2006

Patricia Posadas wrote:

It's quite a huge job.

There are some utilities that help you clean the registry safely, though even so you should think twice before deleting anything.

I think the one I like better is Regcleaner regcleaner.softonic.com

You may need to check that all registries are really deleted, it's a kind of nightmare...

Good luck!

Patricia,
I did exactly as you said. This was the tool I used and now my wife´s labtop is working fine. And the best part of it is I couldn´t believe how easy it was.

John Colangelo
United States
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just like another antivirus I know ... Sep 2, 2006

Jørgen Madsen wrote:

Now I could use the computers again, but several dialog boxes ("missing components") were displayed at start-up and when launching Office programs (Word, Excel, etc.) Apparently, not all of Norton IS was gone.

Then I read this post and decided to try the Norton removal tool (Autofix tool). And now, my computers work perfectly without annoying dialog boxes. Norton is gone for good!

The tool can be launced (runs online only) at:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?Open&src=bar_sch_nam&docid=2005112114253313&nsf=sharedtech.nsf&view=7e7f15291a25d938882567e50048a048&seg=ag

Jørgen

[Edited at 2006-09-02 19:02]

Hi Jorgen,
When I purchased McAfee a couple of years ago, my experiece was the machine began to really slow down till the point it was hard to work. When I disconnected it and installed Kaspersky performance improved...

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:16
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
How do I know if all is done? Sep 3, 2006

I had initially Norton IS 2006 on my laptop, but after the first three months I removed it, used a registry cleaner and installed F-Secure.
Sometimes though I feld the system performance was not optimal. Now I went to the link provided by Jorgen (sorry I cannot find the right symbol on my ascii-codepage) and after a lot of restarting (had to switch to IE, deactivate the ActiveX-control etc.) I clicked on a lot of message boxes to allow installation of all kind of Norton stuff.
Then
... See more
I had initially Norton IS 2006 on my laptop, but after the first three months I removed it, used a registry cleaner and installed F-Secure.
Sometimes though I feld the system performance was not optimal. Now I went to the link provided by Jorgen (sorry I cannot find the right symbol on my ascii-codepage) and after a lot of restarting (had to switch to IE, deactivate the ActiveX-control etc.) I clicked on a lot of message boxes to allow installation of all kind of Norton stuff.
Then it stopped and the page was ready. But how do I know if all is done? When do you know your system is finally free from all that Norton rubbish?
When I think that every day innocent people purchase new computers with Norton for free, it makes me almost cry.

Should there be a warning: Do not install security packages that come for free on your computer?

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
I think it removes itself again Sep 3, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

... I clicked on a lot of message boxes to allow installation of all kind of Norton stuff.
Then it stopped and the page was ready. But how do I know if all is done? When do you know your system is finally free from all that Norton rubbish?

When running this tool, I got the same prompts for installing Norton components.
I'm not 100% sure, but as fair as I can see these components were installed *temporarily* to enable the complete removal of all Norton applications/components.
Hope I'm right...

Jørgen

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I have the notion Sep 3, 2006

that they make it so difficult to remove everything hoping that people give up and keep their stuff...

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

When I think that every day innocent people purchase new computers with Norton for free, it makes me almost cry.

Should there be a warning: Do not install security packages that come for free on your computer?

Regards
Heinrich

Well, that's the way they gained their market position

John Colangelo
United States
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Norton and my ex´s jacket ... Sep 3, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

But how do I know if all is done? When do you know your system is finally free from all that Norton rubbish?

Regards
Heinrich

Hi Heinrich,
I agree. They act like they are doing us a big favor. And in reality, it´s like an ex that leaves his or her jacket or clothes at your house. They never really leave, do they??? And I think we should have the right to choose but there are multibillion dollar agreements between these folks which they are not willing to give up.

William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
I had the same problem twice Sep 11, 2006

To all intents and purposes, Norton AV is like a virus in itself(

Once I managed to get rid by deleting each key registry one by one, took about 2 hours of mind numbingly boring work. Second time was with a pre installed Norton on a new PC, tried the same, deleted one incorrect registry by mistake and screwed the whole system, had to reinstall windows

In additition to the links already posted, check out thi
... See more

Once I managed to get rid by deleting each key registry one by one, took about 2 hours of mind numbingly boring work. Second time was with a pre installed Norton on a new PC, tried the same, deleted one incorrect registry by mistake and screwed the whole system, had to reinstall windows

In additition to the links already posted, check out this page (the rest of his internet security advise is spot on, he's a cyberfriend from a football supporters page, and a massive Norton hater. Half way down the page is a link in a red box for a Norton clean up tool which you download and run - perfectly safe - it worked perfectly for me and zapped all things Norton/Symantech etc. Kaspersky now runs fine, 100x better than Norton ever did

http://brainprobe.de/older/virus.html

Funnily enough I'm going round a friends house to detox his PC this pm, if I find anything of interest I'll get back to you

Hope this helps
Collapse

John Colangelo
United States
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Walter ... Sep 11, 2006

William Pairman wrote:

In additition to the links already posted, check out this page (the rest of his internet security advise is spot on, he's a cyberfriend from a football supporters page, and a massive Norton hater. Half way down the page is a link in a red box for a Norton clean up tool which you download and run - perfectly safe - it worked perfectly for me and zapped all things Norton/Symantech etc. Kaspersky now runs fine, 100x better than Norton ever did

http://brainprobe.de/older/virus.html

Funnily enough I'm going round a friends house to detox his PC this pm, if I find anything of interest I'll get back to you

Hope this helps

You know, when I tried to uninstall it, the system started to get screwed up. I had to restore my computer and when I followed Patricia´s advice, it was like a dream come true. It´s like an unwanted guest. At least, that is how I see Norton. And thank God it is out of my computer. What I would like to do is see what the best antivirus software is and if it is available for free or if there are trial versions.

William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
KAV Sep 11, 2006

What I would like to do is see what the best antivirus software is and if it is available for free or if there are trial versions. [/quote]

Kaspersky is the business, way better than McAfee or Panda and obviously a million miles ahead of ther loathsome Norton. You can free trial it for a month I think

Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
How I removed Norton Jan 24, 2007

Hi,

I just went into the set program access and defaults (under the control panel), clicked on remove/change programs, selected Norton and clicked on it. A last click on the remove/change button on the lower right corner of the opened internal window and it was done. I had installed McAfee first and had to reinstall it because Norton had taken over one function. So it is probably better to uninstall before.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting rid of Norton before installing Kaspersky Antivirus

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »