Thread poster: Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Aug 28, 2006

Hi,

I've just revamped my computer and there seems to be some problem with MS word. (I use Windows XP and word 2000.)

Whenever I type text in Hindi (Unicode or any other font)... there is a lot of space in the final text... and the same text appears correctly on websites (if copy pasted)...

Please advise me.

Thanks a lot for your time and effort.

Regards,

Ritu Bhanot

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:04
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Some tips Aug 29, 2006

WindowsXP has full support for Unicode.

However, in a normal installation of WindowsXP, the files required for Hindi are not loaded. They have to be loaded separately. Here is how you can do it:

1. Go to Start.
2. Select Control Panel.
3. Select Regional and Language Options.
4. Select the Language tab.
5. Select Install files for complex script and right to left languages (including Thai). For this step, the computer may ask for Windows XP insta
... See more
WindowsXP has full support for Unicode.

However, in a normal installation of WindowsXP, the files required for Hindi are not loaded. They have to be loaded separately. Here is how you can do it:

1. Go to Start.
2. Select Control Panel.
3. Select Regional and Language Options.
4. Select the Language tab.
5. Select Install files for complex script and right to left languages (including Thai). For this step, the computer may ask for Windows XP installation CD. So keep it ready.
6. After the files have been installed, click on Details in the same Language tab of Regional and Language Options.
7. In Settings, click on the button Add.
8. Click on the Input Languages drop down menu and select Hindi from it.
9. Click OK.
10. Click Apply in the Settings page.

Now you have added Hindi support to your computer. If you look at the task bar of your computer, you will see an additional button called Language Bar. If you click on it, it will show all the languages that your computer currently supports. It should now also show Hindi.

To switch between English and Hindi mode, use the key combination Alt + Shift.

For example, if you are typing this line and then you press Alt+Shift you will start typing in Hindi like this वक कराकर् कर तकरादर चच. To switch back to English, again press Alt+Shift.

[Edited at 2006-08-29 04:04]
Collapse

Ritu Bhanot
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does not Help Aug 29, 2006

Hi Bala,

Thanks for your help... in fact, those settings are already there but. I know that procedure and this was done when windows was loaded on my system but...
And it's not only unicode. Even if I type in some other script eg. Krutidev, still the same result. I can read the text of course but there are lots of spaces
क र क त च

but this does not happen in any other programme eg. yahoo messenger or any internet window, I get the no
... See more
Hi Bala,

Thanks for your help... in fact, those settings are already there but. I know that procedure and this was done when windows was loaded on my system but...
And it's not only unicode. Even if I type in some other script eg. Krutidev, still the same result. I can read the text of course but there are lots of spaces
क र क त च

but this does not happen in any other programme eg. yahoo messenger or any internet window, I get the normal hindi text.

and even the IT guys around don't know much as they rarely deal with problems in Language functions...

Thanks again for the suggestions,

Regards,

Ritu Bhanot
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:04
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I think Word2000 has... Aug 31, 2006

... only a limited support for unicode.

I suggest you switch to WordXP which has complete support for unicode. You should not have this problem of spaces with WordXP.

Ritu Bhanot
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 1, 2006

Thanks a lot for your suggestion and evidently others can see it correctly and the spaces appear only on my screen as well as in the PDF documents that I create.

I'll think it over.

Thanks once again.

Ritu Bhanot

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with Display of Unicode Hindi Text

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »