Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 22:38
Spanish
+ ...
Aug 25, 2006

Does anybody know of a free and small, no-hassle software that will allow me to compress a tiff file?

Thanks

PS. I tried using MS Document Imaging but the size of the document doesn't vary.

Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:38
English to Polish
+ ...
depends Aug 25, 2006

it depends wheter you want to keep it as .tiff but with lower resolution (DPI) or to convert it to jpg for example. There are many freeware products, like IrfanView or XnView.

Jpg has a very good quality, and there are even newer formats to chose from.

Piotr

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fax Aug 25, 2006

Hello Piotr,

I need to send a fax, so I want to keep it as .tiff. The problem is that the files can only be up to 20MB per fax. So if I split the file, I would have to pay for each file as a new fax.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Decrease resolution Aug 25, 2006

Have you tried decreasing the resolution with a program like Irfanview? Also, you may try saving it again in Irfanview as .tif and select one of the various TIFF compression options available. The CCITT ones work quite well for me.

HTH,
Benjamin

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
TIFF is Aug 25, 2006

a non compressed format (normally).
But , I think, to send a Fax you can use a GIF, also try to convert it to GIF

With a converter like, maybe:
http://www.eprintdriver.com/free-evaluation.htm

Or make a Google search with:

tiff2gif

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A good tip: if you search for a converter, just ty
... See more
a non compressed format (normally).
But , I think, to send a Fax you can use a GIF, also try to convert it to GIF

With a converter like, maybe:
http://www.eprintdriver.com/free-evaluation.htm

Or make a Google search with:

tiff2gif

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A good tip: if you search for a converter, just type the names of the formats you want to convert separated with a 2
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kindos Regardos

Naturally if you own Photoshop or a similar application you can save it as... GIF

[Bearbeitet am 2006-08-26 07:21]
Collapse

mrr2ro
mrr2ro
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
It depends Aug 25, 2006

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Does anybody know of a free and small, no-hassle software that will allow me to compress a tiff file?

Thanks

PS. I tried using MS Document Imaging but the size of the document doesn't vary.

TIFF is an acronym for Tag(ged) Image File Format. It is one of the most popular and flexible of the current public domain raster file formats.

As raster file—means it has been rendered and it does not contain any vector information in it. It is a set image represented in bits, and with set resolution and size.

You can downsample the image by resaving it as a JPEG or GIF.

This saves in the file size but looses resolution.

If you need to compress the image and retain the resolution, use a compression utility as a SIT, ZIP or RAR. There mnay of them on the web for free in nay software repository such as cnet or tucows

If you do not care about the resolution, and just wanted lesser size (In Mbytes) then save it as PNG, JPEG, or GIF.

Gif is recommended for images with limited amount of colors, example banners, signs, text, etc.

If it has natural and thousands of colors and shades such as biological things (people, animals, faces, trees, environments) then use JPEG. –

Arturo Pinzon– Market tested Spanish Translations - SpanishTech

Wolf Kux
Wolf Kux  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:38
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Transform to a .GIF file Aug 26, 2006

It is not easy to compress a .TIFF file, but you can copy it as a .GIF file and save up to 80 - 90 % of size. Simply open the Windows Explorer, and, if you have Windows XP, click on the .TIFF file with the right button, select "Open with ...", and on it, and select Image Viewer.

After the file get open, click on the diskette icon, and select "save as ...", as a .GIF file. Done.

Close the image viewer, and go back to Windows Explorer. You should now see 2 files with the
... See more
It is not easy to compress a .TIFF file, but you can copy it as a .GIF file and save up to 80 - 90 % of size. Simply open the Windows Explorer, and, if you have Windows XP, click on the .TIFF file with the right button, select "Open with ...", and on it, and select Image Viewer.

After the file get open, click on the diskette icon, and select "save as ...", as a .GIF file. Done.

Close the image viewer, and go back to Windows Explorer. You should now see 2 files with the same name, but with different extentions (.TIFF & .GIF). That's all!

A word of caution: a .GIF file looses many details and may have some color loss. Since you want to fax this image, those losses may not be a big problem.

You did not asked, but if you want to reduce / magnify the image, do this:

open a new word document, insert a table, put the vertical text bar cursor inside one of the table cells, and with the mouse cursor, open "insert image from file" to this cell. Of course, you have to inform the path where the file to be inserted is written.

Usually the image expands the cell, but clicking on it, you can resize this image.

Enjoy!

[Bearbeitet am 2006-08-26 01:22]
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 09:08
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
File size depends on image size, so... Aug 27, 2006

... In addition to the tricks mentioned by others here, such as converting the tiff file to GIF or JPEG format and reducing the resoulution of the file, you can also reduce the image size to reduce its file size.

For example if the image is the final layout of a brochure of A-3 size, you can reduce it to A-4 size and the size of the image will come down to half.

After doing this, you can convert the file to GIF or JPEG and also reduce the resolution to about 72 dpi (the
... See more
... In addition to the tricks mentioned by others here, such as converting the tiff file to GIF or JPEG format and reducing the resoulution of the file, you can also reduce the image size to reduce its file size.

For example if the image is the final layout of a brochure of A-3 size, you can reduce it to A-4 size and the size of the image will come down to half.

After doing this, you can convert the file to GIF or JPEG and also reduce the resolution to about 72 dpi (the same as in web pages) and you would have achieved a considerable reduction in file size.

[Edited at 2006-08-27 05:59]
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Is it a multi-page TIFF? Aug 29, 2006

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Hello Piotr,

I need to send a fax, so I want to keep it as .tiff. The problem is that the files can only be up to 20MB per fax. So if I split the file, I would have to pay for each file as a new fax.

Hi Claudia,

I think we're lacking some information here.
Are you talking about a multi-page TIFF? Your explanation indicates that.

And you're using some kind of fax software that ONLY accepts multi-page TIFFs? That's why you don't want to split it up, because it would cost you more to send several separate pages?

In that case, you can forget about all the other suggestions about zip, gif, jpg format. They don't support multi-page format.

Your only sensible option would be to resize the TIFF, but as the previous posters said, you will lose in resolution. If that's not a problem, go ahead and download Irfanview or similar, and resize your TIFF until it creeps below your limit.

Another option would be to split it up, convert/compress to individual jpegs, and then merge back to a new (smaller) TIFF.

If your fax software would accept PDF's, I'd convert the TIFF to PDF and shrink it in Acrobat or equivalent freeware. But you have to give us more details then...

/Jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I compress a .tiff file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »