Why are the characters visible after a short time after the keys are pressed by me?
Thread poster: Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Local time: 14:40
English to Hindi
+ ...
Aug 24, 2006

I am working on a Word file. When I type something, it appears on the screen after a few seconds whereas it does not happen with the other documents. Why the text is not visible as soon as I type the same?

Thanks in advance.

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Several reasons Aug 25, 2006

1. The most likely reason is that your RAM is exhausted, basically. What system do you have? If it is not very new and the processor is a little slow and the RAM is not too high, you may be facing some delay because of lack of memory. How many programs did you keep open at the same time? Closing a few processes may help.

2. If it does not, do a thorough check of your computer. It could be a virus.

3. Check also the settings of your keyboard (Control Panel) and the physi
... See more
1. The most likely reason is that your RAM is exhausted, basically. What system do you have? If it is not very new and the processor is a little slow and the RAM is not too high, you may be facing some delay because of lack of memory. How many programs did you keep open at the same time? Closing a few processes may help.

3. Check also the settings of your keyboard (Control Panel) and the physical connection.

Those are probably the most likely reasons, specially number 1. But, please, provide some details about your system.

P.
www.pbayle.com/blogs-english

[Edited at 2006-08-25 02:57]
Collapse

Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Local time: 14:40
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your answer, but... Aug 25, 2006

if my RAM is exhausted and the processor is a little slow, I must face this problem for all the files

Pilar T. Bayle wrote:

3. Check also the setting of your keyboard and the connection.

Those are probably the most likely reasons, specially number 1. But, please, provide some details about your system.

P.

[Edited at 2006-08-25 02:51]

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not necessarily Aug 25, 2006

if my RAM is exhausted and the processor is a little slow, I must face this problem for all the files

It depends on a bundle of variables, like the size of the document you are handling, whether it has embedded images, etc. But if you don't provide any info on your system, this is just wild guessing on my part. I just said LIKELY reasons...

P.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Questions, unknowns Aug 25, 2006

Does this also happen when you open Word and start typing in a new document without any other applications running?

Do you have background apps. running? I noticed that my Copernic Desktop Search slows my system down very much when in "live update" mode.

RAM is the most likely problem, but it could also be a problem of your graphics adapter (and its RAM). Reduce the resolution and/ or refresh rate of your monitor and see
... See more
Does this also happen when you open Word and start typing in a new document without any other applications running?

Do you have background apps. running? I noticed that my Copernic Desktop Search slows my system down very much when in "live update" mode.

RAM is the most likely problem, but it could also be a problem of your graphics adapter (and its RAM). Reduce the resolution and/ or refresh rate of your monitor and see if something improves.

Did this happen recently?
Have you just installed some new software?

You can try repairing Word or reinstalling the whole package, but a hardware problem is more likely.

Pawel Skalinski

[Edited at 2006-08-25 09:03]
Collapse

peiling
peiling  Identity Verified
Germany
Chinese to English
+ ...
Settings Aug 26, 2006

The same happens to my brand new laptop (

Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
CPU load Aug 26, 2006

Whenever this happens press Ctrl+Alt+Del to see how much of processor resources are used. Some documents just utilize 90-100% of CPU power. In my observation, near-lack of RAM does not slow typing, but high CPU consumption does. This consumption not necessarily results from volume of the document, sometimes its structure or macros do the job, and there is very little you can do. If the document is large, you can try and split it.

Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why are the characters visible after a short time after the keys are pressed by me?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »