How to charge for recording of WAV/MP3 files?
Thread poster: Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:58
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 23, 2006

Dear All

I have been asked to record a series of WAV or MP3 files, respectively.

Can anyone experienced in voice recording please let me know how you usually charge for this service.

I would assume by the hour? If so, do you appply roughly the same hourly rate as, e.g. for editing/proof-reading?

Thanks for your help.

Manuela

Kathi Stock
Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:58
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
My take Aug 23, 2006

I usually charge a little more than my proofreading rate, but less than my interpreting rate.
The reason is that I have a pretty good (expensive) recording software which enables me to edit the recorded wave or mp3 files.

In other words....for me, there is a little more effort involved than in comparison to proofreading.

Hope that helps,

Kathi

Manuela Junghans
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your quick reply Kathi Aug 23, 2006

Since this is a field I don´t usually work in I also have difficulties to estimate the approximate amount of hours it would take to record those files.

In this specific case we are speaking about 100 files, each one paragraph (thus more or less 1 sentence) in length.

Is there any way to estimate how long the recording of such an amount might take?

Best Regards

Manuela

Kathi Stock
Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:58
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
recorded words per hour Aug 23, 2006

My rule of thumb is 1000 words per hour (including review of the material, practising, setting up, recording, editing, reviewing etc.)

Not sure if 100 individual files would make a major difference...it is possible though.

Kathi

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
A few considerations to take Aug 24, 2006

Manuela Junghans wrote:

Since this is a field I don´t usually work in I also have difficulties to estimate the approximate amount of hours it would take to record those files.

In this specific case we are speaking about 100 files, each one paragraph (thus more or less 1 sentence) in length.

Is there any way to estimate how long the recording of such an amount might take?

Best Regards

Manuela
Hi! Suppose you get an MP3 in english and the voice over target is german. Here is the normal procedure:
Here are a few steps, When you get an mp3 or a .wav file you have to transcribe first and translate later and finally do the voice over, where the transcriptiong ( about €15,- hour ) and the translation about €25,- hour the rest would be split in half (for the liason agency) and the rest is yours. Hope you got it. Additionally -
With full eupment and good performance a good professionally finished voice over can cost depending upon the branch of operation anywhere starting €140,- (i.e, when you have no liason agency in between) else you may be getting about half the value, but also the voice over you do needs cleaning the empty gaps etc., that is the equipment part. A high-tech voice over labs charge as much sa €300,- and more while doing dubbing and synchronining the price doubles sometimes tripples. These are average hourly rates. Best Brandis

Manuela Junghans
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks very much... Aug 24, 2006

for your hints, Kathi and Brandis.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
What tool are you using? Aug 25, 2006

Manuela Junghans wrote:

for your hints, Kathi and Brandis.
I would suggest you to try voice recorder (it is a program) I think from ogg forbis. Using this tool you can yourself eliminate the gaps, and recompact the recording. You will need a separate room free of noise, generally the tool records also the comp.noise, so you will need a headset with a micro with a 1,5m - 2m long power cord. This is the normal catch in this trade, when the outsourcer doesn´t pay, he comes back with these problems. Use a high frequented voice recording, because the studio can remanipulate it easily to a lower level. Best Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for recording of WAV/MP3 files?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »