Bianca Jacobsohn
Bianca Jacobsohn  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:23
French to English
+ ...
Aug 18, 2006

Hi all,

I'm finishing up my MA thesis on a South African film and now need to appendix examples of subtitling, etc. from the film.

To do this I need to paste about six stills (frames) from the DVDs. I tried using a special software which allows you to snag a frame. The problem is once you open the saved film, the image is blank.

I've also tried pressing PAUSE and then pressing the PRINT SCREEN button on my keyboard, but nothing happens.

My la
... See more
Hi all,

I'm finishing up my MA thesis on a South African film and now need to appendix examples of subtitling, etc. from the film.

To do this I need to paste about six stills (frames) from the DVDs. I tried using a special software which allows you to snag a frame. The problem is once you open the saved film, the image is blank.

I've also tried pressing PAUSE and then pressing the PRINT SCREEN button on my keyboard, but nothing happens.

My last resort is to take photos of the screen with a digital camera - a last resort as the image quality is compromised.

Does anyone out there have an idea as to how I can do this?

Many thanks,

Bianca

14h50. Actually, the print screen option does work (PASTE in paint) BUT then the cropped image for some reason or another shifts to the right, cutting off 25% of the image on the LHS.

[Edited at 2006-08-18 12:51]
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 09:23
Spanish
+ ...
Gimp Aug 18, 2006

Have you tried Gimp? It's an open source photo editing software; it's very powerful and free.

http://www.gimp.org/

Good luck,
Claudia

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Photo editing Aug 19, 2006

If you have a digital camera, chances are that you should have some kind of photo editing application. Paste the screen shot in Paint, save the file in Jpeg format and try to import the file in the camera application. If this doesn't work, try to paste the screen shot directly on the camera application. Hope this helps
Gianni

[Edited at 2006-08-19 10:54]

Bianca Jacobsohn
Bianca Jacobsohn  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Gianni & Claudia! Aug 19, 2006

Thanks for your help! I took up your advice, Claudia, and downloaded a programme (trial version), but of Power DVD.

I feel quite sheepish now as I had a similar problem in March with capturing clips and I was actually directed to this very same programme (which is very easy to use) after posting a question on the forum. I didn't think to try the same programme with capturing stills.

Have a great weekend (I know mine will be now that I've got my stills!)

B
... See more
Thanks for your help! I took up your advice, Claudia, and downloaded a programme (trial version), but of Power DVD.

I feel quite sheepish now as I had a similar problem in March with capturing clips and I was actually directed to this very same programme (which is very easy to use) after posting a question on the forum. I didn't think to try the same programme with capturing stills.

Have a great weekend (I know mine will be now that I've got my stills!)

Bianca
Collapse

Bill Mak
Bill Mak  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:23
English to Chinese
+ ...
Use hypersnap Aug 19, 2006

You need a software support DirectX capture..
Hypersnap is the best

http://www.hypersnap.com/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Capturing stills from DVD

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »