Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:55
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Aug 11, 2006

For a few days now I have been trying to sent my translation back to the client so that he could see it the same way as I can and I am not getting very far.
It was a word file (2003) which consisted of some minute formatting like bullets, different sized headings, loads of paragraphs.
When I send the completed job back, it was perfect on my computer. When the client opened it, there were problems. He added photos, gave the headings background colour and sent it back for me to fix t
... See more
For a few days now I have been trying to sent my translation back to the client so that he could see it the same way as I can and I am not getting very far.
It was a word file (2003) which consisted of some minute formatting like bullets, different sized headings, loads of paragraphs.
When I send the completed job back, it was perfect on my computer. When the client opened it, there were problems. He added photos, gave the headings background colour and sent it back for me to fix the problem he thought I did not notice when I delivered the job. A few lines could not be read and I had to change line spacing. I sent the file back and they still had the same problem. Actually they though I am not fixing anything and just sending the same file back.
Then I made a pdf of the file and when the client opened it several of the lines were pressed together. Needless to say, I am sending endless files around and not a single one has ever caused so much trouble. The same goes for the client.
Does this sound familiar to anybody? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Ines
Collapse

biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 14:55
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
send them screenshots Aug 11, 2006

I think it could be something they should fix or maybe its something else, but to find out Id suggest you try sending them a screenshot of what you see so they dont blame you for the fault.

Hope this helps.

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:55
German to English
This is what PDFs are for Aug 11, 2006

They should appear the same regardless of platform.

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They do no blame me any more Aug 11, 2006

This has been going for three days now and I think they have finally accepted than it is not my wicked sense of humor but a serious bug.
Apparently they have tried everything on their word copy but the compressed lines would not budge.

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same thing Aug 11, 2006

Steven Sidore wrote:

They should appear the same regardless of platform.

They send me a tiff file with the pdf they received and the text is compressed. On my computer it is fine.,

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is even not a real bug Aug 11, 2006

but a way Word behaves...
It is enough that you do not have exactly the same font.
Word replaces the font, but does not tell you about it.

Create a PDF from your document - this way it will look exactly the same on customers PC.

You may also check, if the problem is caused by missing fonts - if you did not change any fonts, this is quite likely. To do so, go to Tools - Options - Compatibility - Replace fonts.
If you find fonts listed there, than this
... See more

Create a PDF from your document - this way it will look exactly the same on customers PC.

You may also check, if the problem is caused by missing fonts - if you did not change any fonts, this is quite likely. To do so, go to Tools - Options - Compatibility - Replace fonts.
If you find fonts listed there, than this is the reason.
You can replace them permanently with fonts which are present on your system and on customers system (needs to be agreed), than the document should look more similar on both PCs.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Agree with Jerzy Aug 11, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

You can replace them permanently with fonts which are present on your system and on customers system (needs to be agreed), than the document should look more similar on both PCs.

Regards
Jerzy
Choose another font, Arial or Times, in each case one of the fonts that are the same on all Windows- and Macintosh-platforms.

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does not work Aug 11, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

To do so, go to Tools - Options - Compatibility - Replace fonts.

I have Font substitution there and when I press it a window pops up saying 'No font substitution is necessary. All fonts used in this document are available'.

More ideas?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Let the customer do the same... Aug 11, 2006

Well, it shouldn´t happen.
But, what is also possible, that you and your customer are using very different versions of Word.
Word XP and Word 2003 do open the same documents, but possibly show them quite different.

Regards
Jerzy

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
OpenOffice Aug 11, 2006

I don't know if it will help in your case, but try to open your file in OpenOffice.org Writer and save it as Word document. You can even create a PDF directly from within OOo.

Sometimes OOo handles Word files better than Word does itself, especially if there are bugs that only occur across different versions of Word.

HTH.

Sonja

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:55
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Styles Aug 11, 2006

Have you checked to see if the styles are the same for you and your client? For example, the "Normal" style may be Times New Roman 12 for you and Courier 10 for the client. Check the style where the text is different. Paragraph spacing may be different, too.

Luis M. Cuerdo Galarraga
Luis M. Cuerdo Galarraga  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Compatibility tools Aug 11, 2006

Sorry if this is too obvious but happened to me before:

There is an opti to adapt your document to other Word (previous) versions, you can find it in

tools>options>compatibility (literal translation of spanish versión)

There are many options there, mostly to avoid Word's special formats.

Hope it helps

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Fonts Aug 11, 2006

Burrell wrote:

They send me a tiff file with the pdf they received and the text is compressed. On my computer it is fine.,

This could be a font substitution on your client's side. Did you embed fonts into the PDF file?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Possible reason Aug 11, 2006

The document might be based on a template, which you do not have. If this is so, Word tries to rebuild the styles.

Check via Templates and add ons, which template is connected to your document. If you do not have it, this is for sure the reason.

Best
Jerzy

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 08:55
English
Windows + Word can lie to you Aug 11, 2006

When you install a printer, the printer driver provides some feedback to the operating system, identifying the fonts that it believes are resident within the printer. These fonts may or may not be installed on your computer, which can lead to numerous problems.

Windows, thinking that it's doing you a favor, lets you use these resident fonts in applications even if they are not actually installed on your computer. That's why when a PostScript printer is your default printer, you can
... See more
When you install a printer, the printer driver provides some feedback to the operating system, identifying the fonts that it believes are resident within the printer. These fonts may or may not be installed on your computer, which can lead to numerous problems.

Windows, thinking that it's doing you a favor, lets you use these resident fonts in applications even if they are not actually installed on your computer. That's why when a PostScript printer is your default printer, you can use Times, but when you switch to a non-PostScript printer, it disappears. If the real Times font is installed and enabled via the operating system or via a type manager, it will be available throughout all applications and available no matter which printer your are attached to.

The Acrobat Distiller driver used to contain 35 fonts. I forget which version was finally fixed, but at least in version 7, Distiller will not lie to you and tell you have have, for example, the Type 1 version of Times.

If you use Times, Distiller cannot embed the font if it does not exist, and if your customer doesn't have it, the PDF will look funny. If you're using the Acrobat Writer product, which Adobe mercifully killed a while back, it's not a PostScript device and produces PDFs that can have problems.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Document changes when client opens it

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »