How to transfer a translated document into HTML?? and how can you translate the meta tags for them??
Thread poster: Nivo
Nivo
Nivo
United States
Local time: 11:26
English to Arabic
+ ...
Aug 5, 2006

I have a translated job in which the client wants to have it done into an HTML page and they also want the meta tags to be translated. I really don't know what to do and what software to use for such a job...Can anyone advise??

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 10:26
Spanish to French
+ ...
source document Aug 5, 2006

What is the format of the source doc?

Nivo
Nivo
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Microsoft Word Aug 5, 2006

The source is in microsoft word document but they also sent me index page with the source material on it..

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Colombia
Spanish to French
+ ...
Saving as HTML Aug 5, 2006

One possibility is saving the source/untranslated doc as HTML in Word, and then translating it in TagEditor using the same memory. This implies two things :
1) that you used a TM
2) that this TM is in TRADOS format

Is the index doc in Word format too?

Nivo
Nivo
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Did that but was told that was the "dirty copy" Aug 5, 2006

Well, I did that: After translating the document which by the way almost half of it was the keywords, keyphrases, description of website,URL heading,etc......Which all goes in the mega tags. I did save the doc. as HTML and the client told me that that was what they call, the "Dirty copy" and that the meta tags were not done, well practically they were translated but they were not correctly placed where they should be and I just don't know how... They also suggested using Golive, Dreamweaver and ... See more
Well, I did that: After translating the document which by the way almost half of it was the keywords, keyphrases, description of website,URL heading,etc......Which all goes in the mega tags. I did save the doc. as HTML and the client told me that that was what they call, the "Dirty copy" and that the meta tags were not done, well practically they were translated but they were not correctly placed where they should be and I just don't know how... They also suggested using Golive, Dreamweaver and Frontpage, but I am still having issues getting it done with those..Collapse

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Colombia
Spanish to French
+ ...
text only maybe? Aug 5, 2006

How about saving to text only to get rid of all the Word stuff and then saving to HTML in Notepad?
I would suggest converting the original (English?) doc and then translating it again. The problem is Word produces "dirty" HTML, so if the original doc is Word format, you would probably need to compare with an HTML doc for format...

[Edited at 2006-08-05 20:04]

[Edited at 2006-08-05 20:06]

Nivo
Nivo
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try that Aug 5, 2006

Let me try that and get back to you ..

Vauwe
Vauwe
Local time: 17:26
English to German
+ ...
Arachnophilia Aug 5, 2006

Instead of NotePad you could try Arachnophilia. You can download a free trail version.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some comments. Aug 6, 2006

Let's see... here's the information we have thus far:

1. The client sent you the source text as an HTML page and as an MS Word document.
2. The client wanted the HTML page translated.
3. You translated the MS Word document and converted it to HTML.

Now see here, the type of HTML that MS Word creates, is very dirty (it is full of stuff which makes it difficult for humans to read the underlying source code). Therefore simply converting the MS Word file to
... See more
Let's see... here's the information we have thus far:

1. The client sent you the source text as an HTML page and as an MS Word document.
2. The client wanted the HTML page translated.
3. You translated the MS Word document and converted it to HTML.

Now see here, the type of HTML that MS Word creates, is very dirty (it is full of stuff which makes it difficult for humans to read the underlying source code). Therefore simply converting the MS Word file to HTML isn't going to cut it. Obviously the client had wanted you to do the translation directly onto the HTML page that they had sent you. But then I can't understand why they also sent you an MS Word document. What was the client's original request?

If the client wants to have his HTML page translated, then you'll have no alternative but to redo the translation by opening the HTML page in a program such as Arachnophilia (no limit, no trial) and overwriting the source text with the translation.

In future, you can use any of a number of free CAT tools for HTML, such as CatsCradle (freeware), OmegaT (freeware/GPL) or Wordfast (non-time limited shareware).
Collapse

mrr2ro
mrr2ro
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
DO not use word, Use a simple text editor. Aug 10, 2006

STAY AWAY FROM MICROSOFT WORD when working in HTML files.

Word generates the most dirty and most incompatible HTML in existence!

The best thing is to work on the text itself using notepad/win or BBedit/Mac.

If note there are a series of FREE html editors you can download.

HTML tags are NOT translatable, you translate them you ruin the document.

META TAGS, you will find them inside the HTML, in the head of the document, the m
... See more
STAY AWAY FROM MICROSOFT WORD when working in HTML files.

Word generates the most dirty and most incompatible HTML in existence!

The best thing is to work on the text itself using notepad/win or BBedit/Mac.

If note there are a series of FREE html editors you can download.

HTML tags are NOT translatable, you translate them you ruin the document.

META TAGS, you will find them inside the HTML, in the head of the document, the markup for it is <META>

Example --

<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT=" this, client, wants, his, Meta, tags, translated">

The your output will be

<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="este, cliente, quiere, sus, palabras, claves, traducidas">

Note that NONE of the markup needs to be touched or changed; keep all the comas and apostrophes as the original document.

[Edited at 2006-08-10 19:26]

[Edited at 2006-08-10 19:28]

[Edited at 2006-08-10 19:29]

[Edited at 2006-08-10 19:30]

[Edited at 2006-08-10 19:31]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I use MS Word, for HTML... no problem Aug 11, 2006

mrr2ro wrote:
STAY AWAY FROM MICROSOFT WORD when working in HTML files. ... Word generates the most dirty and most incompatible HTML in existence!

It is okay to translate HTML files in MS Word, as long as you tell MS Word not to parse the document when it opens it, but to treat it as if it were a plain text document.

To do this, in MS Word go to Tools -> Options -> General and enable "Confirm conversion at open". Then, when you open an HTML file, select "plain text" or similar (or some Unicode variety) in the options given, and not select "HTML". When you save, save as "plain text" (or Unicode, if necessary), and not "HTML".

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I use MS Word, for HTML... no problem Aug 11, 2006

duplicate post

[Edited at 2006-08-11 09:14]

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:26
English to Russian
+ ...
try this free package Aug 15, 2006

enlaso localization tools

http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/

hassle free translation of html files for dummies

[Edited at 2006-08-15 20:04]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to transfer a translated document into HTML?? and how can you translate the meta tags for them??

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »