Thread poster: Angeliki Lyviaki
Angeliki Lyviaki
Angeliki Lyviaki  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 12:11
English to Greek
+ ...
Jul 26, 2006

Hello Prozians! Does anybody know what's the case with the English-language Wikipedia in China? At first I thought it was due to a busy network (especially in the evening). Then I realized there is no possible way to access any Wikipedia page, cached or not, no matter which browser I use or what time I use it. Has it been banned or is it only me?

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:11
Italian to English
In memoriam
Yeia sou, Angeliki Jul 26, 2006

According to Wikipedia, it is one of of the sites that are censored by the "Great Firewall of China" because they host user content.

Next time you're back in Greece or the UK, you can read about it at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_China#Censored_Content

Filika

Giles

[Edited at 2006-
... See more
According to Wikipedia, it is one of of the sites that are censored by the "Great Firewall of China" because they host user content.

Next time you're back in Greece or the UK, you can read about it at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_China#Censored_Content

Filika

Giles

[Edited at 2006-07-26 10:19]
Collapse

Angeliki Lyviaki
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wikipedia in China Jul 27, 2006

Hi Giles,

I suspected that. I suppose I'll have to do without it then. Many thanks for your answer.

Saluti!

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:11
German to English
+ ...
Article about overcoming the Great Firewall Jul 28, 2006

"Computer experts from the University of Cambridge claim not only to have breached the Great Firewall of China, but have found a way to use the firewall to launch denial-of-service attacks against specific Internet Protocol addresses in the country."
This is the article:
http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/security/0,39044215,39372326,00.htm
that I found by fo
... See more
"Computer experts from the University of Cambridge claim not only to have breached the Great Firewall of China, but have found a way to use the firewall to launch denial-of-service attacks against specific Internet Protocol addresses in the country."
This is the article:
http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/security/0,39044215,39372326,00.htm
that I found by following a link from the Wikipedia page pointed to by Giles, and unavailable to Angeliki.
It mentions a test that contained the word f-a-l-u-n (without the dashes) in the data packets they sent to the Firewall, and therefore this article itself may also be rejected by the censorship process. To summarise their finding:
Richard Clayton of the University of Cambridge computer laboratory said: "If you drop all the reset packets at both ends of the connection, which is relatively trivial to do, the Web page is transferred just fine."
Unless you're a technical expert in Internet message-routing matters, you probably can't actually do this, but it does give some hope that the censorship may be, at least temporarily, defeated in the near future.
Oliver
Collapse

Angeliki Lyviaki
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Accessing Wikipedia in China Jul 29, 2006

Luckily I did access this last article. I'm certainly not a message routing expert, however I got the main point and it's encouraging. If only they haven't told them already... but I guess they would have found out anyway.

Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't access Wikipedia in China

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »