Thread poster: LuciaC
AWa (X)
AWa (X)
Local time: 17:38
English to German
+ ...
Do I get something wrong here? Jul 22, 2006

Jabberwock wrote:

I can tell you what I would do, although many people might find it to be too drastic... I would setup a completely new address (although it might be similiar to your old one), then notify all my associates, partners, friends etc. of the new address. On the old address I would set up an autoreply function informing of the new address.

And if you do change your address, distribute it in such a way that it is not easily picked up by spambots, otherwise it will be the same after a while.

The way I see it:
Thanks to the autoreply function spammers wouldn't need spambots or stuff. The reply to their message to the old address would conveniently provide them with the new one.

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Spam Assassin for e-mail accounts hosted by Proz Jul 25, 2006

I have recently activated my Spam Assassin filter and I am very satisfied with the result. It protects me against 90% of the spam (and no false positives so far). Those which are not caught by Spam Assassin are filtered by Cactus Spam Filter (which is supposed to work with any pop e-mail client) and I receive virtually no spam in my Inbox.

The Spam Assassin can be activated in the cPanel (Mail > Spam Assassin).

[Edited at 2006-07-25 15:33]

Michelle Welchons
Michelle Welchons
United States
Local time: 10:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on your e-mail server, I guess... Jul 29, 2006

Very good advice from all. I have so many e-mails I forget the passwords to some sometimes, but it really helps with the spam. I get a ridiculous amount of Spam to just one address which was (and is) my main address for everything not related to work.

I don't know what server you use, but hotmail, for instance, has an option where you have a "safe list" of e-mail addresses, and you can choose a filter where any mail from an address not on your safe list automatically goes to your
... See more
Very good advice from all. I have so many e-mails I forget the passwords to some sometimes, but it really helps with the spam. I get a ridiculous amount of Spam to just one address which was (and is) my main address for everything not related to work.

I don't know what server you use, but hotmail, for instance, has an option where you have a "safe list" of e-mail addresses, and you can choose a filter where any mail from an address not on your safe list automatically goes to your junk folder. This is what I use, and it works really well because I can still check the junk folder from time to time to make sure no one got sent there by mistake, but when I open my inbox, I only have one or two mails, and always from people I know.

That might be a way to plug the hole that all the spam is getting through, since changing your e-mail can be a pain for you and your contacts.

Good luck!
Collapse

Alan Campbell
Alan Campbell  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:38
Russian to English
Only 40? Jul 31, 2006

I just caught this thread when I logged in for the purpose of changing my registered email address at ProZ as the one that was registered now receives so much spam as to make it unusable.

I have various addresses and use Thunderbird. The Thunderbird junk filter is next to useless and the address I use for my translation business is now unusable. My hosting package is about to expire so I plan on moving to another solution that offers better spam protection and maybe then I will be
... See more
I just caught this thread when I logged in for the purpose of changing my registered email address at ProZ as the one that was registered now receives so much spam as to make it unusable.

I have various addresses and use Thunderbird. The Thunderbird junk filter is next to useless and the address I use for my translation business is now unusable. My hosting package is about to expire so I plan on moving to another solution that offers better spam protection and maybe then I will be able to start using that address again. At the very least I should be able to use the domain but with a different address. My current solution provides only one email address.

Meanwhile, this might be of interest, although I haven't followed it up myself. I listen to a variety of tech-related podcasts in which tech journo John C. Dvorak participates:

He famously 'gets no spam' and has a link on his blog which explains how this comes to be. I'm off to read up on it now.

dvorak.org/blog
Collapse

Alan Campbell
Alan Campbell  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:38
Russian to English
Mail Washer Jul 31, 2006

Thanks to the poster for the suggestion of Mail Washer. I'm giving the 30-day trial a try with five email accounts and it seems easy to use and effective. Some of the other solutions I've found work on a subscription model, but I prefer to pay and forget. If Mail Washer works out, I guess 37 dollars is reasonable for that amount of control.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fed up with spam

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »