Printing large Excel file
Thread poster: Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 10:25
German to English
Jul 20, 2006

I have a rather large Excel file that I would like to be able to print somehow. The problem is that it is almost 2000 lines long and although it is only 4 columns wide, those columns run way off to the right. How can I print this file? I have even tried copying into Word, landscape format, but the last column still runs way off the right-hand side of the page.
Any helpful hints would be must appreciated.

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:25
English to German
+ ...
Enable line breaks Jul 20, 2006

You could try to enable line breaks in the cells, and then resize the columns.

To do so, highlight the whole column, right-click and choose Formatting cells. There should be an option called "Line breaks" (Zeilenumbruch in German).

HTH.

Sonja

Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:25
English to Spanish
another option Jul 20, 2006

Not sure if this will work in your case, but you can try.

Select by dragging the mouse what you want to print and then go to
File>Print Area>Set Print Area

Then adjust the Page Setup so that the whole thing fits in, you can try different percentages and then do a preview to verify if the one selected is right. You do this in
File>Page Setup>Page: Adjust to

Regards

Marta

[Edited at 2006-07-20 09:42]

Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 20, 2006

Thanks to you both for your help - I still haven't been able to get it to print perfectly, but it is certainly better than it was before!

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:25
English to Polish
+ ...
Print it to PDF and then to printer Jul 20, 2006

PDF995 is one of free PDF printers.
Acrobat reader enables you to print multiple pages per sheet.

There are also tools that do the same trick to Excel, but I never used them.

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
Select the column and click twice (sort of) Jul 21, 2006

You say that those columns run way off to the right. I ask, is the data in them equally long or it is just that the columns are defined as that wide. If this is the case, position yourself at the top, select the column you wish to resize, place the cursor over the line between the selected column and the next, the dividing line, and double click. This will reduce the column but keeping it wide enough as to accomodate the longest data in any of its cells. You can also drag the dividing line and... See more
You say that those columns run way off to the right. I ask, is the data in them equally long or it is just that the columns are defined as that wide. If this is the case, position yourself at the top, select the column you wish to resize, place the cursor over the line between the selected column and the next, the dividing line, and double click. This will reduce the column but keeping it wide enough as to accomodate the longest data in any of its cells. You can also drag the dividing line and resize the column manually or select the columns, go to Column Format and select Auto Fit. (There are many ways to skin a cat.)Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Printing large Excel file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »