https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/51376-fine_reader_8_pro_unable_to_save_text_in_russian_font.html

Fine Reader 8 Pro unable to save text in Russian font
Thread poster: Zoya1711 (X)
Zoya1711 (X)
Zoya1711 (X)
English to Russian
Jul 15, 2006

Has anyone had a similar experience?
I have scanned a bilingual (English & Russian) text document into Fine Reader 8 Pro. Everything worked fine (scan, read, edit, etc) up to 'Save' stage. The English font gets saved without any problems to either Worf or PDF format, but no matter what I try, I am unable to force the Fine Reader to export Russian font to any text file (e.g. Word) - it all comes out in illegible  symbols. I have followed all the instructions in the User G
... See more
Has anyone had a similar experience?
I have scanned a bilingual (English & Russian) text document into Fine Reader 8 Pro. Everything worked fine (scan, read, edit, etc) up to 'Save' stage. The English font gets saved without any problems to either Worf or PDF format, but no matter what I try, I am unable to force the Fine Reader to export Russian font to any text file (e.g. Word) - it all comes out in illegible  symbols. I have followed all the instructions in the User Guide, but the problem still exists. What am I doing wrong or what is it that I am missing? Please help!!

[Edited at 2006-07-15 12:57]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-07-15 13:01]
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:21
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
You can get an extra file Jul 16, 2006

I can't remember the details, but when I got mine about a year ago, I ordered a special file for the Russian language to go with it, simply called "Russian.exe". I don't think there is any extra charge for this. I installed it and have never had any such problem as you describe.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:21
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Here's how to get the add-on Jul 16, 2006

Just been checking up on this. To obtain this file:
Go to Abbyy website (there is a link in the Help menu).
Click the Downloads tab.
Click on Additional recognition languages for Abbyy Fine Reader 8.0.
Click on Russian, download & install the file.
It is free to owners of AFR 8.0.
Hope it helps.

Zoya1711 (X)
Zoya1711 (X)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your advice, Jack! Jul 16, 2006

I'll certainly give it a shot & let you know the result.
I really appreciate you spending your time trying to help me. Thanks again!

genialna
genialna
English
here it is Jan 14, 2009

http://www.abbyy.com/finereader8/?param=44967

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:21
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Trial version Jan 15, 2009

From the description I think you are using a Trial Version of FineReader. I encountered like when my Finereader after crach of computer lost registration info- after entering it anew all went well- but took me some time to figure out the reason, as the program opened as normal, without any warnings about it running in Evaluation Mode.

Uldis

Zoya1711 wrote:
I am unable to force the Fine Reader to export Russian font to any text file (e.g. Word) - it all comes out in illegible  symbols. I have followed all the instructions in the User Guide, but the problem still exists.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fine Reader 8 Pro unable to save text in Russian font

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »