Broadband internet speeds
Thread poster: david angel (X)
david angel (X)
david angel (X)
Local time: 16:20
French to English
+ ...
Jul 7, 2006

Hi. At the moment, I have a 3Kbps broadband cable internet connection, but I am thinking of buying a house in the countryside which is some way from an exchange and could have a 512 Kbps broadband connection. Some people tell me this would be fine, others say beware. I wonder if anyone with experience of the slower speed could give some info. Normally, I don't have to send or receive downloads that are bigger than, say, 5000 Kb. Many thanks. David A.

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:20
English to Danish
+ ...
House in the country Jul 7, 2006

I live in a house in the country in Denmark (which is very nice), and I have the fastest presently available broadband connection, viz 256/256 Kbps.

Normally, I don't have any problems, though downloads and upload do take time occasionally. So 512 Kbps would do, I should think, for the time being at least.

However, I am looking foreward to when they increase the speed to 2048 Kbps sometimes this year (that's what I was told by my supplier).

Files keep getti
... See more
I live in a house in the country in Denmark (which is very nice), and I have the fastest presently available broadband connection, viz 256/256 Kbps.

Normally, I don't have any problems, though downloads and upload do take time occasionally. So 512 Kbps would do, I should think, for the time being at least.

However, I am looking foreward to when they increase the speed to 2048 Kbps sometimes this year (that's what I was told by my supplier).

Files keep getting bigger and luckily available broadband connection speed tends to follow suit.

Good luck!
Jørgen
Collapse

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jorgen. Jul 7, 2006

Jørgen Madsen wrote:

Files keep getting bigger and luckily available broadband connection speed tends to follow suit.

Good luck!
Jørgen

Thanks, Jrgen. I think everything will be fine.

Best Wishes for your country life. David

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:20
English to French
+ ...
I used to have 512 Jul 7, 2006

I would work with it. Of course, downloads were a bit too long to my liking, but it was within the limits of the reasonable.

I only got faster than that because my provider set a monthly limit and I could deal with the low speed, but not with the eternal surcharge. I always went over my limit, just by translating. Imagine if I was also downloading wallpapers, movies and whatnot. But the speed was just fine. The only thing you have to watch is to not wait until the last minute with l
... See more
I would work with it. Of course, downloads were a bit too long to my liking, but it was within the limits of the reasonable.

I only got faster than that because my provider set a monthly limit and I could deal with the low speed, but not with the eternal surcharge. I always went over my limit, just by translating. Imagine if I was also downloading wallpapers, movies and whatnot. But the speed was just fine. The only thing you have to watch is to not wait until the last minute with larger jobs to send them to the client. If a file takes 30 minutes to upload to the server, you can be 30 minutes late, even if YOU started sending it before deadline.

I'd say, as long as you take some precautions, you should go ahead and buy the house. Now, if you wanted to use XXX webcam services, it would be a different story...
Collapse

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:20
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Prices Jul 8, 2006

It may be interesting if we all elaborate on broadband prices in our countries. I myself pay about 40 dollars a month for 128K wireless broadband service in Iran (conventional broadband services - non wireless cost less but I like the freedom coming with this wireless service and that I could move around with my laptop while staying connected). I know the rate is much lower in Europe or America. Sadly, the telecommunication prices here in Iran are quite out of the ordinary, we have to pay around... See more
It may be interesting if we all elaborate on broadband prices in our countries. I myself pay about 40 dollars a month for 128K wireless broadband service in Iran (conventional broadband services - non wireless cost less but I like the freedom coming with this wireless service and that I could move around with my laptop while staying connected). I know the rate is much lower in Europe or America. Sadly, the telecommunication prices here in Iran are quite out of the ordinary, we have to pay around 600 dollars to buy a GSM SIM card.

[Edited at 2006-07-08 08:04]
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
512 should be fine Jul 8, 2006

Rahi Moosavi wrote:

... we have to pay around 600 dollars to buy a GSM SIM card.

[Edited at 2006-07-08 08:04]

Even though, some outsourcers would expect low prices because we operate from developing countries!

Here I pay almost 50USD/month for an ADSL 1024Mbps wired line (+ purchase of the modem).
6 months/1 year ago I paid the same for a 256Mbps speed, but every time the telco reduce prices, they automatically increase the speed rather than decrease my invoice amount. You have to go to the telecom offices to ask for a downgrade, but it would take so much time that I can't be bothered.
I could have stayed with 256Mbps, browsing and loading files was smooth and quick enough for my needs. 1024 Mbps is definitely too much, but better more than not enough...

Lars Jelking
Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:20
English to Swedish
+ ...
Just be sure of what you get! Jul 8, 2006

The "brake" on internet speed is normally not the cable provider but the ISP (Internet Service Provider). The cable can be good for megabytes, but the IPS does not have the bandwith to handle it.
So check out the true cable speed AND your ISP capacity. In the end you may want to change to another provider.

[Edited at 2006-07-08 11:04]

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, everybody. Jul 8, 2006

Thanks a lot for all the comments, a mine of information. I think I'll go ahead: as a number of people have pointed out, the average document for translation is not usually that many bytes.
Best Wishes David

Mariusz Kuklinski
Mariusz Kuklinski  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
Preferred ISP Jul 9, 2006

david angel wrote:

Thanks a lot for all the comments, a mine of information. I think I'll go ahead: as a number of people have pointed out, the average document for translation is not usually that many bytes.
Best Wishes David

I have very bad experience with uploading large-ish files (anything over 0,5MB!) on NTL broadband, though they promise up to 10MB of attachments. Their Customer Service is completely unresponsive. It takes hours (!!!), the system crashes, etc. When I am really desperate, I switch to a BT-based dial-up. A 1MB file will take a few minutes but it will go out

Mariusz Kuklinski
London

PS. When you DO have a large file, you may compress it with Winzip software, which reduces the size of an average Word document by up to 80% (much less but still some gain in case of PowerPoint) but make sure your client is familiar with Winzip.

[Edited at 2006-07-09 07:37]

[Edited at 2006-07-09 07:37]

[Edited at 2006-07-09 07:40]

Mariusz Kuklinski
Mariusz Kuklinski  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
Preferred ISP Jul 9, 2006

david angel wrote:

Best Wishes David

I have very bad experience with uploading large-ish files (anything over 0,5MB!) on NTL broadband, though they promise up to 10MB of attachments. Their Customer Service is completely unresponsive. It takes hours (!!!), the system crashes, etc. When I am really desperate, I to to a BT-based dial-up. A 1MB file will take a few minutes but it will go out

Mariusz Kuklinski
London

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Would love superfast broadband Jul 10, 2006

My ISP (Zen Internet - UK) offers me the option of 8meg broadband for the same price as my standard 512k package - 24.99 GBP per month. I'm staying with the "slower" rate, because although it would be great to have lightning fast pageloads and downloads, the 8meg service has a monthly download limit, whereas I have no limits on the 512k service.

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Why pay that much? Jul 10, 2006

Jeremy Smith wrote:

My ISP (Zen Internet - UK) offers me the option of 8meg broadband for the same price as my standard 512k package - 24.99 GBP per month. I'm staying with the "slower" rate, because although it would be great to have lightning fast pageloads and downloads, the 8meg service has a monthly download limit, whereas I have no limits on the 512k service.

Lixxus (up to 8MB)

£13.99 per month inclusive of 1GB download increasing in accordance with use to £17.99 per month which is the maximum no matter how much you download.

www.lixxus.co.uk/products/home_user_broadband/369.asp?pid=204&tab=Compare

Metronet (up to 8MB)

£11.75 per month inclusive of 419MB download increasing in accordance with use to £22.74 per month which is the maximum no matter how much you download.

www.metronet.co.uk/broadband/paygo.shtml

(Acceptable use policies may apply with both companies.)

[Edited at 2006-07-10 14:35]

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
A bit off-topic... Jul 13, 2006

Hi,

this might be a bit off-topic, but for those of you who understand some German here's a nice website where you can check your IP address and - probably more important - run a test of your connection speed and do a ping-test (interesting for those who are using their internet for VoIP): http://www.wieistmeineip.de/

Have fun!

Charlotte

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
For English speakers Jul 13, 2006

www.auditmypc.com/internet-speed-test.asp

(It requires Java to be installed on your machine.)

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Don't stay... Jul 14, 2006

...look around.

Jeremy Smith wrote:

We pay about £29/month for a 2 GB broadband connection from good old BT, no limits, and I don't think that it is necessarily the cheapest.
Yours seems far too much for what you are getting.

[Edited at 2006-07-14 12:12]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Broadband internet speeds

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »