Mirelluk
Mirelluk  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:27
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 29, 2006

I was working in MS Word and pressed Alt or Alt Gr + a number on the right numeric keyboard to see if I could get a vowel with accent and suddenly the screen view appeared upside down.
With some difficulty I managed to move the mouse pointer and close Word, hoping this was just a temporary nightmare. But also the desktop was upside down.
I closed and restarted everything but situation unchanged.
I have now put the screen upside down on my desk to be able to write this emergency
... See more
I was working in MS Word and pressed Alt or Alt Gr + a number on the right numeric keyboard to see if I could get a vowel with accent and suddenly the screen view appeared upside down.
With some difficulty I managed to move the mouse pointer and close Word, hoping this was just a temporary nightmare. But also the desktop was upside down.
I closed and restarted everything but situation unchanged.
I have now put the screen upside down on my desk to be able to write this emergency message.

Further information:
Windows XP
Office professional 2003

Any whizard available to break the spell???

Many thanks in advance (and please do not laugh... it is not funny)

Mirella

[Edited at 2006-06-29 12:03]
Collapse

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Local time: 13:27
English to German
Try this ... Jun 29, 2006

Hi Mirelle,

try and see if you can found a program called Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver in your Control Panel and disable "rotation" there. (You might even have a small blue icon in your task bar on the bottom right hand side of your screen that will let you access the program.)

That solved it for me when I had the same problem a while back. Not sure if it's the same on your system, however.

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
advice from 'Tech Support Guy' Jun 29, 2006

To reverse the upside down screen mode, press ctrl, alt and the up arrow (arrows console) at the same time; the screen will probably go blank. Turn off the monitor, turn it on again and the display will be normal again. If you possess a sense of humour or are antisocial, press ctrl, alt and the down arrow simultaneously, turn off the monitor, turn it on again and everyone (excluding the culprit) will be desperate --> upside down! Works for Window... See more
To reverse the upside down screen mode, press ctrl, alt and the up arrow (arrows console) at the same time; the screen will probably go blank. Turn off the monitor, turn it on again and the display will be normal again. If you possess a sense of humour or are antisocial, press ctrl, alt and the down arrow simultaneously, turn off the monitor, turn it on again and everyone (excluding the culprit) will be desperate --> upside down! Works for Windows XP Home and Prof.

http://forums.techguy.org/tech-tips-tricks/336002-windows-xp-flipping-screen-upside.html

-- just found this - I wasn't suggesting that the Tech Support Guy was me!
I don't think that I'll try that one because it sounds scary. It reminds me of those people who turn the instructions on their Satellite navigation systems or mobile phones to another language for fun, and then realise that they don't understand enough of that language to revert to the original language...

[Edited at 2006-06-29 12:16]
Collapse

Mirelluk
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANKSSS Jun 29, 2006

Dear Anne Lee,

You are a genious and really saved my day!

I knew that I could find help (and much more) on Proz.

Thanks to Jalapeno as well.

I hope I can be of any help in the future.

And now back to work.

Mirella

[Edited at 2006-06-29 12:57]

Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
to solve this in the long term Jun 29, 2006

Hello

I posted the same problem in the forums some time ago and a helpful colleague came up with the answer for those who need to use these keys without getting this surprise (the solution may not work in all the computers though):

Go to your desktop and right click>Graphic Options>Hot keys>Disable

Kind regards

Marta

Mirelluk
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
As well Jun 29, 2006

Hi Marta,

I'll take note of that as well.

Thank you

Mirella

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Emergency: Upside down screen!!!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »