Availability calendar settings: possible improvement
Thread poster: Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:35
German to English
Jun 28, 2006

First: would it be possible to add three buttons to the availability calendar page? One button for "Available for whole month", one for "Not available for whole month" and one for "Partially available for whole month"? I think this would make life a lot easier for many members. Even if the member knows s/he will only be either available or not available for a few days in that particular month, the entire month could be activated with one button and the individual days then adjusted to suit.
... See more
First: would it be possible to add three buttons to the availability calendar page? One button for "Available for whole month", one for "Not available for whole month" and one for "Partially available for whole month"? I think this would make life a lot easier for many members. Even if the member knows s/he will only be either available or not available for a few days in that particular month, the entire month could be activated with one button and the individual days then adjusted to suit.

Second: does this sound sensible and practical to others, or am I talking out of my arm?

Thanks for your time.
Collapse

Deborah Shannon
Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Good idea Jun 28, 2006

Alan Johnson wrote:

I think this would make life a lot easier for many members. Even if the member knows s/he will only be either available or not available for a few days in that particular month, the entire month could be activated with one button and the individual days then adjusted to suit.

Thanks for bringing this up Alan. I like having the calendar but I wish putting in the availability was less tedious. There has to be room for improvement over clicking on each day separately.

Another idle thought: rather than starting each month with a blank calendar, personally I'd like mine preset to weekends red and weekdays yellow. Obviously everyone's preferences are going to differ, so how about a way of setting up and saving a personal default option?

Alan Johnson
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Weekends off Jun 28, 2006

Hi Deborah,

Thanks for commenting. The idea with weekends automatically unavailable is good. All my weekends are marked red, as I (generally) do not work weekends either.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 16:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Excellent ideas Jun 28, 2006

Agree 100%.

Jane

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:35
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Only a marginal saving of time Jun 28, 2006

Dear all,

I think that a button for "the whole month" would only save a very tiny amounts of time (less than the time required to post in a forum) but, on the negative side, it would induce many members into setting whole months as available/not available/etc... which is unlikely to reflect the reality.
Used in this way, the feature would completely lose any meaning for the visitors, and it would be the equivalent of not using it at all, saving even more time... ...
See more
Dear all,

I think that a button for "the whole month" would only save a very tiny amounts of time (less than the time required to post in a forum) but, on the negative side, it would induce many members into setting whole months as available/not available/etc... which is unlikely to reflect the reality.
Used in this way, the feature would completely lose any meaning for the visitors, and it would be the equivalent of not using it at all, saving even more time...

If we are using it, it is much better to visit our calendar and update it at least for every major change in our availability, for example, when we receive a sizeable project or complete one.
It only takes 5 seconds, but cannot be automated...

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-06-28 19:47]
Collapse

Alan Johnson
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Who's reality? Jun 28, 2006

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

"I think that a button for "the whole month" would only save a very tiny amounts of time (less than the time required to post in a forum) but, on the negative side, it would induce many members into setting whole months as available/not available/etc..."

Well, yes, that was the idea. Didn't I mention that?

"which is unlikely to reflect the reality."

So speaks someone who has not looked at my calendar.

Moreover, I think that expecting people to mark each and every day differently is far from realistic. My calendar is not marked as it is because I find it simpler, but because it reflects my reality.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Availability calendar settings: possible improvement

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »