Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Which Norton Internet Security 2006 is better?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:38
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jun 28, 2006

After my 3 month initial use of Symantec Norton Internet Security I want to buy the product for 12 months. But there is one version for 55 Euro and one for 80 Euro, and in the descriptions I cannot make out any differences. So are they identical or why is one 25 € more expensive?
Does anyone know the answer?

Regards
Heinrich

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:38
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
F-Secure Jun 28, 2006

for example or solutions from Avira, Kaspersky...
But NOT Norton Internet Security, unless you will give your machine a lot to do. NIS consums a lot of system ressources and slows the system down. I hoped this behaviour would be better with newer NIS versions, but my last experience was completly different.

Regards
Jerzy

Tadej Kokalj
Tadej Kokalj  Identity Verified
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
None Jun 28, 2006

I've seen too many penetrations through Norton AV.
As Jerzy said: Avira, Kaspersky, NOD32, BitDefender...

I use NOD32; very low on resources

Kaspersky is very strict with macro-viruses, hence there can be some problems with VBA applications. I know that Kaspersky doesn't allow Wordfast to run. I don't know how is it with Trados under Word. Try before buy.

Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
unhappy with Norton Jun 28, 2006

Hi Heinrich,

I used Norton Internet Security Pro + antivirus for years. Then with newer editions and under XP, I started having a number of problems, from viruses coming though to system crashes and software freezes.

I now use Zone Alarm and Avast, both free, and I am delighted: no problems, no freezes, no crashes, and better yet, no bill!

Cheers,

Patricia

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting Jun 28, 2006

I had earlier F-Secure, but one day my machine was suddenly infested with the Win2000 pest, so my provider sold me their own version of F-Secure.
Now I use Norton, which came bundled with my laptop from Fujitsu-Siemens. No problem with viruses as yet.
But very often I need to send mails twice, because the first try does not succeed, the same with calls to the internet. Is this possibly related to Norton?
I could turn back to the special edition of F-Secure.
Thanks for you
... See more
I had earlier F-Secure, but one day my machine was suddenly infested with the Win2000 pest, so my provider sold me their own version of F-Secure.
Now I use Norton, which came bundled with my laptop from Fujitsu-Siemens. No problem with viruses as yet.
But very often I need to send mails twice, because the first try does not succeed, the same with calls to the internet. Is this possibly related to Norton?
I could turn back to the special edition of F-Secure.
Thanks for your input!
Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:38
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
ZoneAlarm + AVG Jun 28, 2006

Another useful (and free) programme that you can combine with ZoneAlarm is AVG. I have been running both these products for several months on my laptop after becoming increasingly disgruntled with Norton Internet Security. I still have the latter on my desktop because I'm wary of free programmes being as reliable as bought programmes, but I will think twice about renewing my subscription next time because I agree with the other posters about Norton Internet Security becoming increasingly cumbe... See more
Another useful (and free) programme that you can combine with ZoneAlarm is AVG. I have been running both these products for several months on my laptop after becoming increasingly disgruntled with Norton Internet Security. I still have the latter on my desktop because I'm wary of free programmes being as reliable as bought programmes, but I will think twice about renewing my subscription next time because I agree with the other posters about Norton Internet Security becoming increasingly cumbersome on the system.

An excellent programme is Panda; it cleaned my daughter's computer when it became infected with a host of adware and pirate programmes, which teenagers are particularly prone to due to their browsing and download habits.
Don't know how it interacts with CAT tools, though.

Can I warn everyone about new viruses spread through MSN messenger? They arrive through an innocuous-looking MSN-message from your contact, inviting you to view some pictures uploaded online, but if you open it, the virus is forwarded to all your contacts.
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Be kind to your computer Jun 28, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
But NOT Norton Internet Security, unless you will give your machine a lot to do. NIS consums a lot of system ressources and slows the system down. I hoped this behaviour would be better with newer NIS versions, but my last experience was completly different.

I agree with Jerzy and Anne fully. Norton is electronic treacle in terms of resource use and just tries to take command. Even after you have uninstalled it, you have to go right through the registry to clear up all the junk that it has left there. Trying to use their so-called 'online support' is the equivalent of navigating a rain forest without a map while wearing a blindfold.

I chose the paid-for A.V.G. version (inexpensive), which updates several times a day and seems to be compatible with all applications I use. There is telephone support if needed.

I also, incidentally chose their malware/popup blocker 'Ewido'. This is particularly important, as so many of these so-called malware blockers are in fact malware themselves, cunningly disguised so that they can rip you off for 20-odd bucks.

HTH
Chris

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Bitdefender! Jun 28, 2006

Last year, I threw out Norton which already had unnerved me all the time. I had it on both machines, it let trojans come in on both and not even recognized them when scanning the system! And then, it is generally known that Norton is - among the big antivirus programmes - the one that is the slowest in updating its anti- virus signatures.
So I got definitively rid of it which was VERY hard but I managed, finally.
I then installed trial versions of F-Secure, Kaspersky and Bitdefend
... See more
Last year, I threw out Norton which already had unnerved me all the time. I had it on both machines, it let trojans come in on both and not even recognized them when scanning the system! And then, it is generally known that Norton is - among the big antivirus programmes - the one that is the slowest in updating its anti- virus signatures.
So I got definitively rid of it which was VERY hard but I managed, finally.
I then installed trial versions of F-Secure, Kaspersky and Bitdefender (one at a time, of course:-) )
As I didn't have a broadband connection then, I found Kaspersky getting too expensive as it was updated all the time.
I had some problems with F-Secure on my laptop.
So finally I opted for Bitdefender and discovered that one licence is valid for two machines. I spent if I remember well less than 40 Euros. Till now, I am happy with it. It's much less intrusive than Norton!
BTW, I never had the problems I had with Norton when uninstalling F-Secure and Kaspersky...
Collapse

Kirsty Mason
Kirsty Mason  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Multiple PC licence? Jun 28, 2006

Hi Heinrich,

To get back to your original question, I haven't actually looked in detail but could the more expensive version be a 2-user pack? - I recently upgraded NAV and for a small additional fee was able to buy a version that included licenses for 2 computers, maybe that's the difference..

I haven't had any problems with Norton AntiVirus, have found it absolutely reliable, but I would have to agree with the others above about NIS - I have just deinstalled the ful
... See more
Hi Heinrich,

To get back to your original question, I haven't actually looked in detail but could the more expensive version be a 2-user pack? - I recently upgraded NAV and for a small additional fee was able to buy a version that included licenses for 2 computers, maybe that's the difference..

I haven't had any problems with Norton AntiVirus, have found it absolutely reliable, but I would have to agree with the others above about NIS - I have just deinstalled the full Norton Internet Security 2005 after 8 months of battling with performance issues/mail/networking problems.. No experience with 2006 though I'd be disinclined to try it again. Since binning NIS, my PC has returned to normal speed and all other issues are resolved.

HTH
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds horrible Jun 28, 2006

So am I better off with Norton only partly removed or continuing using it? Is there a software that takes care of the removal of all components?
Regards
Heinrich

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Not all components Jun 28, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Is there a software that takes care of the removal of all components?

Windows/Control Panel/Add or remove software...

As for the registry, you are better off not messing around with that unless you know what you are doing. (I don't).

You'll need a registry cleaner. I use one called jv16 (Finnish developed) which I got when it was still freeware (now $30 from http://www.jv16.org/). Maybe you'll find a similar freeware program at Tucows.com.

Funnily enough, I did a clean only yesterday and my PC seems perkier today.

Good luck and HTH
Chris

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Be cautious! Jun 28, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

So am I better off with Norton only partly removed or continuing using it? Is there a software that takes care of the removal of all components?
Regards
Heinrich

If you intend to install another antivirus programme, you must make sure your old one is completely removed! Otherwise, this can cause serious problems to your system.

Yes, if you don''t want to go crazy, there are tools that do this for you. I can't remember what I used. But Symantec itself offers an uninstallation tool...

[Bearbeitet am 2006-06-28 10:39]

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:38
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
NOD32+ZoneAlarm+Spyware Doctor Jun 28, 2006

After being a NIS user for a couple of years, I now use a combination of NOD32+ZoneAlarm+Spyware Doctor. Very easy on the resources, very good protection and easy on your pocket too!

Kirsty Mason
Kirsty Mason  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Either NIS or NAV Jun 28, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Regards
Heinrich

I deinstalled Internet Security completely (just using normal Windows uninstall) and then subsequently downloaded a new, separate version of Norton AntiVirus. AFAIK you cannot have only part of NIS installed and to use only NAV, you need the standalone product (you may need a separate firewall, spyware program, etc. depending on your setup).

I actually contacted Symantec to try and transfer my existing product key for NIS to NAV-only (since the AntiVirus product was incorporated in the existing product that I had already paid for) but after a very lengthy debate with several tech support workers who could not understand why I would want to do this when NIS is so great - the answer was no.

Tadej Kokalj
Tadej Kokalj  Identity Verified
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
My combination also Jun 28, 2006

Rahi Moosavi wrote:

After being a NIS user for a couple of years, I now use a combination of NOD32+ZoneAlarm+Spyware Doctor. Very easy on the resources, very good protection and easy on your pocket too!

I recommend above combination.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which Norton Internet Security 2006 is better?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »