screen shot: how can I fit a full web page in one?
Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 23, 2006

If I want to take a screen shot of a web page, the view is that of my screen, so I only get half of it, so have to make 2 to get the full picture. How can I get the entire webpage into a single screen shot?

TIA:-)

Natasa Grubor
Natasa Grubor  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Serbian
+ ...
screen shot Jun 23, 2006

Hm.. how did you get just half?

Press Ctrl+Print Screen, then go to ie. word and paste it. Or open Photoshop - New - Paste

Hope it helps.

Jennifer Baldwin
Jennifer Baldwin  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:27
French to English
+ ...
Easy with the right tool Jun 23, 2006

Tech writers swear by SnagIt. You can download a free and fully-functional trial at http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.asp. Once you have it installed, you can capture an entire scrolling web page instantly. Enjoy!

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:27
Spanish
+ ...
Snapper Jun 23, 2006

If you use Firefox, you can use the Snapper extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2703/

ScreenGrab does the same but it needs Java: http://andy.5263.org/screengrab/

[Edited at 2006-06-23 22:23]

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it's to do with my view, I think Jun 24, 2006

Nataša Čubrilović wrote:

Hm.. how did you get just half?

Press Ctrl+Print Screen, then go to ie. word and paste it. Or open Photoshop - New - Paste

Hope it helps.

That's what I do, but with soem sites I have to do 2 shots to represent the full screen.

Maybe rather than downloading a tool, what I need to to change me settings so as to be able to view a full - or more of a - web page in my screen

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 05:27
English
You have to use a separate tool Jun 24, 2006

Lia Fail wrote:
Maybe rather than downloading a tool, what I need to to change me settings so as to be able to view a full - or more of a - web page in my screen

It's not possible without a third-party tool, such as SnagIt, which is what I use. The best you could do is take two shots, a top and a bottom, then stitch them together in, say, Photoshop.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I raise the resolution to - say - 1600 x 1200 Jun 25, 2006

Then everything is illegible - because it's so darn small - but you get the full frame onto the display, so you can cut and paste it in one piece.

Watch out for the monitor, iin some cases the high frequency could fry them...

If you still have to work with two halves, you can use Photoshop, Paintshop, Powerpoint (!) to stick them together.

[Edited at 2006-06-25 07:48]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:27
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Snapper extension to Firefox Jun 25, 2006

OK, been there, downloaded that. I now have a red snapper fish in the bottom right of my screen, which "snaps" if I click on it, presumably taking a snapshot. But where do I find the snapshot? I thought it would show up in "Edit/Paste" as a graphics clip, but it doesn't. Can anyone tell me where it is?

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
workaround Jun 25, 2006

Dedicated applications like snagit or plugins must be the right solution.

However I thought that failing that you should be able to save a page in Word and then view it on a two page layout, or print the web page to pdf and than view the pdf on a two page layout.

Good luck
Luca

[Edited at 2006-06-25 15:55]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Can anyone tell me where it is? Jun 26, 2006

it's somewhere on your system (probably in the downloads - see Firefox) as an htm file, but not as a hard copy bitmap. So the only thing different now,is that you have the same problem as before, but you do not need the internet to experience it (g).

See my suggestion few entries back: change the screen resolution to the biggest you can, expand the window to the size necessary and press Ctrl+Print Screen or whatever you have been using so far to make a hard copy of the screen or win
... See more
it's somewhere on your system (probably in the downloads - see Firefox) as an htm file, but not as a hard copy bitmap. So the only thing different now,is that you have the same problem as before, but you do not need the internet to experience it (g).

See my suggestion few entries back: change the screen resolution to the biggest you can, expand the window to the size necessary and press Ctrl+Print Screen or whatever you have been using so far to make a hard copy of the screen or window.

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2006-06-26 11:55]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
KHTM2BMP Jun 26, 2006

Lia Fail wrote:
How can I get the entire webpage into a single screen shot?

I recently downloaded khtm2bmp.exe from the internet (it was a CJK web site, so I couldn't really read the licensing requirements, but it seems to be freeware. It can even do screenshots of pages on your harddisk, but you have to enter the file location in URL syntax (to get URL syntax, open the file from your hard disk in your browser, then copy the address from the browser's address field). It doesn't handle positional CSS well, though. Then you might want to use a program like XnView to trim it a bit.

[Edited at 2006-06-26 14:48]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try IE Snapshot Jun 26, 2006

Lia Fail wrote:

I just discovered a program called IE Snapshot:
http://www.limperex.com/snapshot/

It is not a plugin for IE, as the name suggests (although it possibly uses IE for its rendering engine). You can capture to PDF (multiple web sites), JPG, BMP and GIF. You can even specify the paper size of your screenshot (A4, etc). It shows you a preview of the image that is to be captured, and you can select which part of it to capture (even if it spans several screen heights). It's freeware.

While searching for this, I've also discovered a screenshot capturer for movie files, called ImageGrabber:
http://www45.brinkster.com/antworkz/

When you open a movie file, you specify how many frames to grab. If you say "100", it divides the movie into 100 sections and grabs a little screenshot at each interval. Then you can save them as 100 JPGs or as a single JPG contact sheet.

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks all:-) Jun 28, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:

Lia Fail wrote:

I just discovered a program called IE Snapshot:
http://www.limperex.com/snapshot/

It is not a plugin for IE, as the name suggests (although it possibly uses IE for its rendering engine). You can capture to PDF (multiple web sites), JPG, BMP and GIF. You can even specify the paper size of your screenshot (A4, etc). It shows you a preview of the image that is to be captured, and you can select which part of it to capture (even if it spans several screen heights). It's freeware.

While searching for this, I've also discovered a screenshot capturer for movie files, called ImageGrabber:
http://www45.brinkster.com/antworkz/

When you open a movie file, you specify how many frames to grab. If you say "100", it divides the movie into 100 sections and grabs a little screenshot at each interval. Then you can save them as 100 JPGs or as a single JPG contact sheet.

I'm experimenting with the different solutions offered:-)

Ailish

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

screen shot: how can I fit a full web page in one?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »