Aggressive method: genuine emails replaced by spam
Thread poster: Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Jun 20, 2006

What happened to me today is really strange. I received a Proz notification related to a KudoZ question (through Thunderbird 1.5.0.4). The subject was “[KudoZ] Integrated Environmental&Quality Management Manual (English to Romanian),”, Sender: ProZ.com KudoZ. Therefore, nothing strange so far. But, when I clicked to read the message, I could see a spam message and not the actual notification. Then, I checked the same message through the web interface (my messages stay on the server 10 days b... See more
What happened to me today is really strange. I received a Proz notification related to a KudoZ question (through Thunderbird 1.5.0.4). The subject was “[KudoZ] Integrated Environmental&Quality Management Manual (English to Romanian),”, Sender: ProZ.com KudoZ. Therefore, nothing strange so far. But, when I clicked to read the message, I could see a spam message and not the actual notification. Then, I checked the same message through the web interface (my messages stay on the server 10 days before being deleted), and it was OK there.

It happened with several messages (not only ProZ notifications) received in the morning. Now everything seems to be back to normal although I didn’t take any special steps (just run Spybot and Ad-Aware, as I do almost every day, and didn’t find anything special), but I wonder what exactly has caused the respective behavior.

Did anyone else experience this strange behavior?

[Edited at 2006-06-20 12:18]
Collapse

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:48
English to Spanish
Not a solution... Jun 20, 2006

but a suggestion: I switched from Spybot & Ad-aware for Webroot's Spy sweeper, which finds things neither of the others do (or you can schedule all three to run automatically if you're real paranoid!

If the mail reads fine in the server (and all headers are OK), it's obviously something in your end that highjacked either your email reader or your browser...

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Spy Sweeper Jun 20, 2006

Rossana Triaca wrote:

a suggestion: I switched from Spybot & Ad-aware for Webroot's Spy sweeper, which finds things neither of the others do

Thanks for the suggestion, Rossana. From what the guys from PC World say, it seems it is indeed one of the best anti-spyware tools. I will give it a try.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Aggressive method: genuine emails replaced by spam

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »