Looking for firewall that will work with Windows 98
Thread poster: Buzzy
Buzzy
Buzzy
Local time: 12:49
French to English
Jun 19, 2006

Hello everyone, I can't find the answer to my question in the archives and apologise if it's there but I didn't see it.
Don't laugh, but I am still using Windows 98. I used to use a firewall service supplied by my ISP for a monthly fee, but it has now discontinued the service (without actually bothering to tell me - I just noticed the computer behaving morre strangely than usual, and discovered why!) And I'm having trouble finding a firewall to download (free or otherwise) or buy that will
... See more
Hello everyone, I can't find the answer to my question in the archives and apologise if it's there but I didn't see it.
Don't laugh, but I am still using Windows 98. I used to use a firewall service supplied by my ISP for a monthly fee, but it has now discontinued the service (without actually bothering to tell me - I just noticed the computer behaving morre strangely than usual, and discovered why!) And I'm having trouble finding a firewall to download (free or otherwise) or buy that will run with Windows 98.
Is it a hopeless case and time to get that new computer I've been planning to buy for some time? or does anyone have a recommendation that would work? What can I do to "keep safe" in the meantime? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Collapse

dieter haake
dieter haake  Identity Verified
Austria
Italian to German
+ ...
try with zonealarm Jun 19, 2006

http://www.zonelabs.com/

HTH

didi

www.kaerntenservice.at

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Support for Windows 98 will be discontinued soon Jun 19, 2006

Unfortunately, Microsoft decided to discontinue support for Windows 98/98SE/Me as of July 11, 2006. See here . As a result, most software developers (including Zone Labs - see here ) will cease to support Windows 98/98SE/Me as well.

I think even if you find a firewall that works with Windows
... See more
Unfortunately, Microsoft decided to discontinue support for Windows 98/98SE/Me as of July 11, 2006. See here . As a result, most software developers (including Zone Labs - see here ) will cease to support Windows 98/98SE/Me as well.

I think even if you find a firewall that works with Windows 98, you would be exposed to serious security risks in lack of further Microsoft security updates.

[Edited at 2006-06-19 17:47]
Collapse

Mihail Mateev
Mihail Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 13:49
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall Jun 19, 2006

AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall - www.avgnew.com.

Well, it is not just Firewall, but antivirus software with integrated firewall. It runs on 95/98/ME/2000/XP/NT/2003, Lunix and Windows 64 bits versions.

As long as I know - there are no official statements to abandon Windows 98 OS support.

Personally I use it - no problems - I had old PC with Win98, and now I have 2 PCs with Wind
... See more
AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall - www.avgnew.com.

Well, it is not just Firewall, but antivirus software with integrated firewall. It runs on 95/98/ME/2000/XP/NT/2003, Lunix and Windows 64 bits versions.

As long as I know - there are no official statements to abandon Windows 98 OS support.

Personally I use it - no problems - I had old PC with Win98, and now I have 2 PCs with Windows XP - no problem on either systems.

Regards,

Michael
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Kerio 2.1.5, AFAIK Jun 19, 2006

Buzzy wrote:
Don't laugh, but I am still using Windows 98. ... And I'm having trouble finding a firewall to download (free or otherwise) or buy that will run with Windows 98.

As far as I know, Kerio 2.1.5 will run on Windows 95/98. Unfortunately this version is no longer available from the company's own web site. Fortunately, if you Google for the exact filename of the installer, you'll find plenty of old mirrors.

Filename: kerio-pf-2.1.5-en-win.exe

Another one which might work on W98 is Tiny Firewall, of which the free version was named: pf2.exe (Google for it).

I'm also under the impression that Agnitum's Outpost Firewall old free version will work on Windows 98. Again, Google for it to find a couple of old mirrors that still has the installer available.

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
BitDefender Jun 19, 2006

All I can say is that since I have used BitDefender (I seriously fell out with Norton when the computer crashed and I had to try and reinstall) for a few years and it is so unobtrusive and effective, and relatively cheap, that I am quite prepared to sing its praises as a firewall and an anti-virus.

I'm not sure if it works with Windows 98 or not - but I don't see why not...?

Kindest,

Katherine

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Official or not Jun 19, 2006

Mihail Mateev wrote:

Mihail, do you mean the statement on the page I mentioned above does not express the Microsoft’s official position? I thought anything published on the Microsoft site is official.

Anyway, it seems the software developers took it seriously as even some open source software developers such as Mozilla announced their intention to drop support for Windows 98 - see here .

[Edited at 2006-06-20 12:45]

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
How strapped for cash are you? Jun 19, 2006

Hi Buzzy,

If you are a cash-strapped student, wage-slave or whatever, trying to make your way in the world of translation on the minimum of outlay, then you have plenty of suggestions about firewalls for Windows 98 from our magnificent colleagues.

But if you are supporting yourself (and your family?) with your translations, then you really ought to consider updating to a system with a little bit of wiggle room for the future.

The longer you leave your upgr
... See more
Hi Buzzy,

If you are a cash-strapped student, wage-slave or whatever, trying to make your way in the world of translation on the minimum of outlay, then you have plenty of suggestions about firewalls for Windows 98 from our magnificent colleagues.

But if you are supporting yourself (and your family?) with your translations, then you really ought to consider updating to a system with a little bit of wiggle room for the future.

The longer you leave your upgrade, the more irritating little problems you will have to waste time solving ; -)

Cheers,

Giles
PS
Working translators can generally write computers off against tax, so the actual cost is only the interest on the asking price from the date of purchase to when you settle your tax return.
Collapse

Buzzy
Buzzy
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
I know, it's time I got down to the computer shop! Jun 19, 2006

Thanks everyone for your ideas. Nearly everything I can find will only run on Windows 98 if you can find an old version, as Samuel suggests.

Giles, you're right. I am in the fortunate position of earning quite enough to upgrade, in fact the computer I'm using has already been upgraded in ways other than the operating system by my friendly neigbourhood independent IT shop - the sort of place where when you go in and say, I want to buy a new computer, their first response is: are you
... See more
Thanks everyone for your ideas. Nearly everything I can find will only run on Windows 98 if you can find an old version, as Samuel suggests.

Giles, you're right. I am in the fortunate position of earning quite enough to upgrade, in fact the computer I'm using has already been upgraded in ways other than the operating system by my friendly neigbourhood independent IT shop - the sort of place where when you go in and say, I want to buy a new computer, their first response is: are you sure you don't simply need an improvement to your existing machine? And I do have an XP laptop. But I've had the desktop so long that I even had a phone call from the accountant's this year to check that I hadn't forgotten to record a more recent computer in my accounts!

No, my question isn't about money, especially given the price of firewalls, but - since I'm pretty busy and unlikely to get down to the computer shop immediately - about what I could do for some protection in the meantime. When I last renewed my antivirus I decided to get the whole package - and guess what! it wouldn't work with Windows 98. Ah well, when the writing is on the wall... hooray, time to go shopping!
Collapse

Ara Mkrtchyan (X)
Ara Mkrtchyan (X)  Identity Verified
Armenia
Local time: 14:49
English to Armenian
+ ...
Lavasoft Personal Firewall Jun 20, 2006

Buzzy,

First, apart from the softs mentioned, I would recommend Lavasoft Firewall for your Windows 98 because it's relatively a light program, easy to understand, with a simple interface.
Second, I would really recommend updating your system (for numerous reasons) regardless of a firewall.

Rgrds,
Ara

F Schultze (X)
F Schultze (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:49
Danish to English
+ ...
Give me stand-alone any time Jun 20, 2006

I use a 3COM wireless broadband gateway which has all the firewall functions I need.

With all the resident software (anti-virus,anti-spyware,Office, printer software, scanner software, etc.) that gets loaded on your computer and eats up RAM and cycles, why would you want a software firewall as well when you can have a stand-alone hardware solution for under $50 ?

Stay witha major brand like 3COM, D-LINK or Linksys, and don't fall for non-standard enhanced- or double-sp
... See more
I use a 3COM wireless broadband gateway which has all the firewall functions I need.

With all the resident software (anti-virus,anti-spyware,Office, printer software, scanner software, etc.) that gets loaded on your computer and eats up RAM and cycles, why would you want a software firewall as well when you can have a stand-alone hardware solution for under $50 ?

Stay witha major brand like 3COM, D-LINK or Linksys, and don't fall for non-standard enhanced- or double-speed gimmicks if you buy wireless. Plain 802.11b/g should be fine for all the purposes I can think of.
Collapse

Mihail Mateev
Mihail Mateev
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Grisoft statement Jun 20, 2006

Mihai Badea wrote:

Mihail Mateev wrote:

Mihail, do you mean the statement on the page I mentioned above does not express the Microsoft’s official position? I thought anything published on the Microsoft site is official.

Anyway, it seems the software developers took it seriously as even some open source software developers such as Mozilla announced their intention to drop support for Windows 98 - see here .

[Edited at 2006-06-20 12:45]

Dear Mihai,

the context of my statement was that Grisoft - the vendor of AVG Anti-Virus - does not give any official signs to abandon the support of Windows 98.

Kind regards,

Mihail

Boris Popov
Boris Popov
English to Russian
+ ...
Bingo! Jun 21, 2006

Flemming Schultze wrote:

Stay witha major brand like 3COM, D-LINK or Linksys, and don't fall for non-standard enhanced- or double-speed gimmicks if you buy wireless. Plain 802.11b/g should be fine for all the purposes I can think of.

IMHO, this is the best solution for the problem, if you consider the amount of time and money needed for a software upgrade.

I'd definitely NOT recommend D-Link - from my experience, their devices are buggy and unstable.
Believe me - I know what I'm talking about. I used to have a D-Link ADSL router - and it was just about the worst piece of hardware I ever had to deal with as a system administrator.

If we are talking about an ADSL /ADSL II connection to the ISP - a ZyXel ADSL router will be a good option.

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Grisoft statement Jun 22, 2006

Mihail Mateev wrote:

Dear Mihai,

the context of my statement was that Grisoft - the vendor of AVG Anti-Virus - does not give any official signs to abandon the support of Windows 98.

Kind regards,

Mihail

Thanks for the clarification, Mihail.

It’s a good thing that some software developers will continue to support older versions of Windows; however, I doubt their support will be able to solve the Windows security problems that will be found after Microsoft discontinues its support. A good aspect may be, though, that the bad guys will probably prefer to focus on newer versions of Windows.

[Edited at 2006-06-22 23:53]

Buzzy
Buzzy
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all: I've bowed to the inevitable Jun 26, 2006

and invested in a new machine. And since I moved the Windows 98 one into the next room it's behaved much better! Now all I have to do is choose a firewall for the new one...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for firewall that will work with Windows 98

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »